What is the minimum protection you wear?

Thai-lad

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Helmet and wrist guard are my minimum for easy cruising.

For faster riding, I also put on body armour.

I always shrug when I see a cyclist on racing bikes going downhill in +70 km/t with just a simple helmet on those thin and easy to puncture tires. 

And then they say EUC riders are crazy?

On 8/17/2018 at 12:35 AM, Toshio Uemura said:

Live today as though there was no tomorrow! ?

I met Muhammad Ali in 1998 at an autograph signing, where I was present as he made his grand entrance.  Already at the relatively young age of 56, the man who once floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee couldn't even walk across the room to his seat without the assistance of his wife Lonnie, due to the cumulative effects of all of the concussions he'd suffered during his career. Read up on Parkinson's syndrome if you want to know what could be ahead for you tomorrow if you don't take care proper of yourself today.

2 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

due to the cumulative effects of all of the concussions he'd suffered during his career

TBH, we don't know whether there was a causal connection between the concussions and his Parkinson's disease.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

TBH, we don't know whether there was a causal connection between the concussions and his Parkinson's disease.

No, we don't.  Just like we can't prove any one person's cancer came from smoking.  But strong the connection between even mild brain injuries and eventually developing Parkinson's has been well documented.

https://www.popsci.com/parkinsons-disease-brain-injury-concussion

4 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

No, we don't.  Just like we can't prove any one person's cancer came from smoking.  But strong the connection between even mild brain injuries and eventually developing Parkinson's has been well documented.

https://www.popsci.com/parkinsons-disease-brain-injury-concussion

The causal link between smoking tobacco and lung cancer is not in doubt and very remarkable in effect size (like: the chance to get lung cancer is ten fold when smoking compared to non-smokers). AFAIK, neither of that is the case for a link between concussions and Parkinson's disease.

One should always be highly suspicious when reading "a new study..." as introduction to a claim.

Given the data of the above linked study tell the full story (which is IMHO not likely, EDIT: and if the link is indeed causal, which is a pretty big if), the likelihood of someone to have gotten the Parkinson's disease due to the concussion history is about 30%. Or in other words, even if they have suffered concussions, it is more likely that other causes were the origin of the disease. So based on the data of this study, saying that Ali got Parkinson due to his boxing history may be right but is more likely to be wrong.

That's a very different situation when compared to lung cancer, where, if one has the cancer type that is caused by smoking tobacco, the chances are over 90% that it was actually caused by the smoking habit. Without doubt, even 30% is a relevant number to be carefully followed up.

Two years and 600km and im ashamed to admit that ive yet to buy saftey gear. Its always been on my to do list. I’m well aware of the risk im taking, and i know it may upset some people, but kitting yourself out in body armour kind of gives off an agresive look. Especially if you are in pedestrianised areas 

8 hours ago, Thai-lad said:

I met Muhammad Ali in 1998 at an autograph signing, where I was present as he made his grand entrance.  Already at the relatively young age of 56, the man who once floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee couldn't even walk across the room to his seat without the assistance of his wife Lonnie, due to the cumulative effects of all of the concussions he'd suffered during his career. Read up on Parkinson's syndrome if you want to know what could be ahead for you tomorrow if you don't take care proper of yourself today.

4 hours ago, Mono said:

The causal link between smoking tobacco and lung cancer is not in doubt and very remarkable in effect size (like: the chance to get lung cancer is ten fold when smoking compared to non-smokers). AFAIK, neither of that is the case for a link between concussions and Parkinson's disease.

One should always be highly suspicious when reading "a new study..." as introduction to a claim.

Given the data of the above linked study tell the full story (which is IMHO not likely, EDIT: and if the link is indeed causal, which is a pretty big if), the likelihood of someone to have gotten the Parkinson's disease due to the concussion history is about 30%. Or in other words, even if they have suffered concussions, it is more likely that other causes were the origin of the disease. So based on the data of this study, saying that Ali got Parkinson due to his boxing history may be right but is more likely to be wrong.

That's a very different situation when compared to lung cancer, where, if one has the cancer type that is caused by smoking tobacco, the chances are over 90% that it was actually caused by the smoking habit. Without doubt, even 30% is a relevant number to be carefully followed up.

And what kind of helmet would protect us from all the above? ? 

32 minutes ago, Ipsiain said:

Two years and 600km and im ashamed to admit that ive yet to buy saftey gear. Its always been on my to do list. I’m well aware of the risk im taking, and i know it may upset some people, but kitting yourself out in body armour kind of gives off an agresive look. Especially if you are in pedestrianised areas 

“Appropriate” and “reasonable” are the magic words here. When you ride in parks and around children you set a good example and wear a bicycle helmet and some wrist protectors. An advanced EUC rider wearing no protective equipment looks cool and makes the hobby appear harmless, non-threatening, easy and casual but may send the wrong message to children and carries the risks we are all aware of. When you ride in the mountains, on difficult terrain, in city traffic or practice extreme tricks and techniques you have to wear appropriate equipment. So it’s either a belt or suspenders but not a belt AND suspenders, and rarely nothing at all. It’s part of this hobby to learn to make responsible decisions. And what equipment you wear or not wear may trigger a response in a policeman to either stop you or just let you pass. There are no rules that fit for all situation. Just act reasonable and responsible.

46 minutes ago, Ipsiain said:

5000 km and i dont have any safety gear.. if i find something an inconvenience then i wont do it.. ill have to wait until i break an arm to change my mind haha

10 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

5000 km and i dont have any safety gear.. if i find something an inconvenience then i wont do it.. ill have to wait until i break an arm to change my mind haha

At what speeds and what kind of terrain are you riding?

3 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

At what speeds and what kind of terrain are you riding?

up to 45 km/h, usually around 35, all terrains but mostly roads

Just now, Toshio Uemura said:

On what wheels?

KS16s and Gotway ACM 2 mainly

17 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

KS16s and Gotway ACM 2 mainly

Just for reference: Look at Chooch Tech two years ago.

and look at him now:

I wonder, what might have brought about this change? I guess it might have been a face plant or some other painful ? accident. I don’t think he started to wear gear ‘cause someone told him to do so. We all learn from experience! Please be safe! ?

1 minute ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Just for reference: Look at Chooch Tech two years ago.

and look at him now:

I wonder, what might have brought about this change? I guess it might have been a face plant or some other painful ? accident. I don’t think he started to wear gear ‘cause someone told him to do so. We all learn from experience! Please be safe! ?

well thats quite the 360 haha.. that helmet looks very uncomfortable >.> i was gonna say wonder if hes been in a bad accident hmm. im used to riding bicycles, skateboards, dirtbikes without any gear to me an euc seems rather tame and not that unlike a bicycle.. i think unforeseen potholes would be the big one for them and the fact that youre not holding on to anything means you will learn to fly. i am very safe though and i dont do any dumb stuff or attempt any stunts to look cool. what i think is crazy is my friends who ride motorbikes with no protection just a tiny helmet that would likely do nothing in a crash except contain your crumbled skull lol, and sometimes they dont even wear that, thats a little too extreme for me xD 

3 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

and the fact that youre not holding on to anything means you will learn to fly.

Exactly that is the problem! You will NOT fly! If your EUC should fail or shutdown  for what ever reason, you will be slammed into the ground with little to no time to even react. I had one of those incidents uphills on my E+ at a very slow speed. I wished I were flying. But at least I got to see many beautiful bright stars! ???☄️?

Still don’t wear any gear most of the time either (but pssst! Don’t tell anybody!) ? 

12 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Exactly that is the problem! You will NOT fly! If your EUC should fail or shutdown  for what ever reason, you will be slammed into the ground with little to no time to even react. I had one of those incidents uphills on my E+ at a very slow speed. I wished I were flying. But at least I got to see many beautiful bright stars! ???☄️?

Still don’t wear any gear most of the time either (but pssst! Don’t tell anybody!) ? 

haha yes i was being sarcastic i have seen many crash videos.. that would be the main problem with eucs is little to no warning whatsoever.. ooh ouch, did the wheel run away from you back down the hill?

1 hour ago, Toshio Uemura said:

And what equipment you wear or not wear may trigger a response in a policeman to either stop you or just let you pass. There are no rules that fit for all situation. Just act reasonable and responsible.

Im going with the thinking of, the more kitted out you are with saftey gear, the more dangerous you look and the more attention you draw to yourself. No saftey gear and people may think you are just riding a gimmick toy and not a dangerous unpredictable speed machine.

I know by law that I am not permitted to ride my ecu on public roads and areas, having said that I’ve passed multiple police officers on the road in cars and on the pavement on foot and not one person has stopped me. Infact ive had police cars give way to me in normal traffic situations as if I were a car. I can only speculate to the reactions if i were kitted out

1 hour ago, Rywokast said:

what i think is crazy is my friends who ride motorbikes with no protection just a tiny helmet

Do you think that a crash is more rare to an EUC rider than to a motorcycle rider?

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Do you think that a crash is more rare to an EUC rider than to a motorcycle rider?

nope, but id rather crash ten times going 30 kph than once going 100 kph lol.. plus when you do stupid shit like weaving in and out around cars and wheelies then its debatable haha

Being a new rider, i've never experienced a serious fall before. What's worse: having the wheel suddenly turn off on you without warning or hitting a large pothole or root on the ground that you didn't notice?

Are the falls very different between these two situations?

16 minutes ago, mkygod said:

Being a new rider, i've never experienced a serious fall before. What's worse: having the wheel suddenly turn off on you without warning or hitting a large pothole or root on the ground that you didn't notice?

a cutoff would pretty much always be the worst.. i mean sure getting hit by a bus would be worse yea but compared to a pothole, where you would have warning and time to react as obviously your brain would register that you hit something and your instinct would kick in at least you have a chance to run off, jump off or soften the fall.. whereas a cutoff there is absolutely no warning whatsoever one second youre strolling along and the next youre face down on the pavement, you cant jump or run off because the wheel does not keep spinning or keep itself upright just instantaneously drops to the ground the most experienced person on the planet could do nothing about a cutout.. not to scare you or anything haha if you arent being an idiot then the chances of a totally random cutout are extremely rare as there are a few failsafes and you would usually have to be riding it ignoring any warning signs for one to happen, but it isnt unheard of

27 minutes ago, mkygod said:

Yes they are very different. The sudden power loss leaves no time to react since it is usually at the highest point of acceleration too. So combine overlean with free wheel deadspin and its wrists, knees, elbows, and face if you are really hitting with force, that take the brunt of the fall. Thats what happened when I ignored all the warning beeps on my KS14B. No pads either. I was lucky I didnt brake anything, but that was at 17mph, and those were the main injuries. No face injuries though.

With a root or a pothole, you usually have a second and a half to three seconds of time before you need to dump or get dumped. So you have more time. I have run off a 13 mph turn into a pothole on the V8, but was not able to do that at 17mph on my KS 18L so I eventually went down to wrist pads and the fall from the vehicle twisted my body so I hit my hip too. That hurt fir a few days, so hip protectors will help you in those circumstances.

The other night I was riding on the V10F with the headlight off on the backside of Griffith Park the V10F did its best to get me out of most of the huge missing chucks of road, but there was one that was just too much, and knocked me off in a dead stop. I went over the top of the V10 and did a roll. I was only going around 8-10 mph but somehow I over exerted or over extended my shoulder and upper arm muscles. I am still icing it up twice a day, between rides Ha! 

For full or more complete protection, get a bmx motocross protective jacket. They range from $30-$170 on Amazon and really are the best if you get the mid range priced one with the hip protection. They even have shoulder pads, which would have saved me some pain had I been wearing it. I was more concerned with testing out some LED lights for illumination. They partly failed. I looked amazing crashing, but they did nothing to light up the pothole.

Archived