Jump to content

New KS16S rider with a few questions


Cumulus Libre
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello, 

 

I am quite new here, I've been riding since two weeks and I am taking it slowly because of a knee problem, but my KS16S is taking me again to places where before I had to pass , so I am very stoked with my EUC. 

After a week of training in between two walls this week I took it outside and started riding longer distances, first on the grass just to be sure if I fell that it would be softer,  I've been doing 6 and 9 km the last two days, most of them on gravel paths offroad.. and I have a few  questions regarding the wheel : 

1. tire pressure : I bought the wheel with fairly low tire pressure which is normal for people to learn, it was around 1,5 bar when I checked it yesterday, so I inflated it up to 2,5 bar ( my shop told me to put the pressure between 2,5 and 2,9 and advised me to increase it little by little) , and immediately I felt that i had to adapt, I was again a bit easier off balance, but after an hour or so it felt as normal, however I do feel more the bumps when going off-road and in Belgium our pavements and sidewalks aren't of that high quality compared to some other countries, and with my knee it feels like I would prefer to ride with a little less pressure, so the tire absorbs more the potholes you come across.. would it be ok to lower the pressure again ? What are your experiences with playing with tire pressure on the KS16S? Is it ok because of my knee to ride a lower pressure? Maybe interesting to tell , I way with clothes around 75 kg.

 

2. My wife and I both are learning on the same wheel (looking in the future for a second one so we can ride together) , at this stage the wheel is still in learning mode, (and 20km/h limit which i am hitting all the time)  which sounds perfectly normal since we are still learning, however I came across the following issue when riding off-road , problem not getting up a steeper hill. In both occasions the hill (30 m long) was behind a corner in the road, so my speed was fairly low to attack the hill, I had a nice control, or I felt in control ;) when riding up, but as mentioned off-road and my speed was fairly low (7-10km/hour) it felt like it was ok till a certain moment that it came to a stand and I had to jump off, I wonder if this is related to "learning-mode" that the KS16S is in? Will I have more power for doing these hills once I progress to the medium and experienced mode? Or is it just a matter of speed to get up the hill all the way? And what if speed is not possible since a hill is just around the corner?

Biking and walking (revalidation of a knee surgery that didn't went as expected)  is not possible for me so this EUC is really a dream come through so far, it not only brings me again to places but it is also incredibly fun.. 

 

thx in advance for your feedback.. 

cheers

CL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cumulus Libre said:

Hello, 

 

(7-10km/hour) it felt like it was ok till a certain moment that it came to a stand and I had to jump off, I wonder if this is related to "learning-mode" that the KS16S is in? Will I have more power for doing these hills once I progress to the medium and experienced mode? Or is it just a matter of speed to get up the hill all the way? And what if speed is not possible since a hill is just around the corner?

I think maybe you weren't pushing ahead enough, i'm around 111Kg clothed and do some very steep hills with no problems on the KS-16S, try it again and if you start slowing down push more forward, the wheel will let you know if it can't do more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cumulus Libre said:

Hello, 

 

I am quite new here, I've been riding since two weeks and I am taking it slowly because of a knee problem, but my KS16S is taking me again to places where before I had to pass , so I am very stoked with my EUC. 

After a week of training in between two walls this week I took it outside and started riding longer distances, first on the grass just to be sure if I fell that it would be softer,  I've been doing 6 and 9 km the last two days, most of them on gravel paths offroad.. and I have a few  questions regarding the wheel : 

1. tire pressure : I bought the wheel with fairly low tire pressure which is normal for people to learn, it was around 1,5 bar when I checked it yesterday, so I inflated it up to 2,5 bar ( my shop told me to put the pressure between 2,5 and 2,9 and advised me to increase it little by little) , and immediately I felt that i had to adapt, I was again a bit easier off balance, but after an hour or so it felt as normal, however I do feel more the bumps when going off-road and in Belgium our pavements and sidewalks aren't of that high quality compared to some other countries, and with my knee it feels like I would prefer to ride with a little less pressure, so the tire absorbs more the potholes you come across.. would it be ok to lower the pressure again ? What are your experiences with playing with tire pressure on the KS16S? Is it ok because of my knee to ride a lower pressure? Maybe interesting to tell , I way with clothes around 75 kg.

 

2. My wife and I both are learning on the same wheel (looking in the future for a second one so we can ride together) , at this stage the wheel is still in learning mode, (and 20km/h limit which i am hitting all the time)  which sounds perfectly normal since we are still learning, however I came across the following issue when riding off-road , problem not getting up a steeper hill. In both occasions the hill (30 m long) was behind a corner in the road, so my speed was fairly low to attack the hill, I had a nice control, or I felt in control ;) when riding up, but as mentioned off-road and my speed was fairly low (7-10km/hour) it felt like it was ok till a certain moment that it came to a stand and I had to jump off, I wonder if this is related to "learning-mode" that the KS16S is in? Will I have more power for doing these hills once I progress to the medium and experienced mode? Or is it just a matter of speed to get up the hill all the way? And what if speed is not possible since a hill is just around the corner?

Biking and walking (revalidation of a knee surgery that didn't went as expected)  is not possible for me so this EUC is really a dream come through so far, it not only brings me again to places but it is also incredibly fun.. 

 

thx in advance for your feedback.. 

cheers

CL

It's the mode you are in. The higher modes will allow for steeper hill climbing as well as higher speed. It seems like you are ready for it. Just because you are in a higher mode doesn't mean you have to ride faster than your comfort level. It is safer in the highest mode, once you have your balance, as the wheel is  unlikely to tilt-back or stall unless pushed passed the limit of that mode, which you are not likely to do in the near future if ever.

Edited by Jerome
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Low tire pressure may make a flat tire more likely, but just try it for your knee's sake. Worst case, you have to fix a flat and pump it up more in the future.
  • As a matter of principle, no EUC can just stop or limit its power. So the hill thing is you not leaning enough. The ride modes are just from soft to hard (how direct the wheel responds), the "beginner" etc monikers are a bit misleading, ride mode is a matter of preference, not skill. Go to harder modes and you have to lean less on hills. Also, it may be easier at speeds 10kmh and up, going up hills too slow is the hardest (and uncomfortable).
Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

thx @meepmeepmayer & @Jerome & @Wheeler Von Calamity for the feedback, I will play a bit with the tire pressure, and will try to lean a bit more forward the next time when I come across a similar challenging hill...

not to sure if I am allready ready to move on to the next mode, I want to progress calm, in fact I did hurt my knee last saturday evening, nothing special, i felt the pain in the knee (left) while turning to the left, I learned to turn with folding my knees, and in that case the opposite knee of the one you are folding becomes stretched.. so i did a  wide 90 ° turn to change to another road at around 20km/h , there was a cavity in the road that i could take easily I thought, which was the case, but the problem was that because of the turn I locked my left knee as an automatism (which I did through learning when doing continues 360° turns ) and I felt the pothole in my knee, I learn by these mistakes :efefb6a84e:, I think it's not good for me to lock my knees, I never to dat while riding straight , I always bend those knees.. but for taking corners... I should be aware of nothing locking that knee again.. ever ;)

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can someone tell me exactly which Leg muscles we are using to ride our EUC?

Meaning the ones we use the most.. 

Since I am doing a revalidation, I wouldn't want to integrate the muscles used for riding again in my daily fitness routine.. since I would be over stressing them..

 

thx in advance..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2018 at 4:59 PM, Cumulus Libre said:

Can someone tell me exactly which Leg muscles we are using to ride our EUC?

Meaning the ones we use the most.. 

Since I am doing a revalidation, I wouldn't want to integrate the muscles used for riding again in my daily fitness routine.. since I would be over stressing them..

 

thx in advance..

I do a lot of exercising, weightlifting, calisthenics, mountain biking and long boarding. I have now owned a EUC (Ninebot E+) for 2 weeks. After squatting on thursday and yesterday I noticed that my quads were quickly getting tired when on the EUC especially when on rougher terrain. Otherwise when I was in the very early stage of learning EUC I could feel it in my lower back.

So I guess heavy squats and deadlifts would probably affect endurance on the EUC and cause fatigue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2018 at 5:47 AM, Cumulus Libre said:

thx @meepmeepmayer & @Jerome & @Wheeler Von Calamity for the feedback, I will play a bit with the tire pressure, and will try to lean a bit more forward the next time when I come across a similar challenging hill...

not to sure if I am allready ready to move on to the next mode, I want to progress calm, in fact I did hurt my knee last saturday evening, nothing special, i felt the pain in the knee (left) while turning to the left, I learned to turn with folding my knees, and in that case the opposite knee of the one you are folding becomes stretched.. so i did a  wide 90 ° turn to change to another road at around 20km/h , there was a cavity in the road that i could take easily I thought, which was the case, but the problem was that because of the turn I locked my left knee as an automatism (which I did through learning when doing continues 360° turns ) and I felt the pothole in my knee, I learn by these mistakes :efefb6a84e:, I think it's not good for me to lock my knees, I never to dat while riding straight , I always bend those knees.. but for taking corners... I should be aware of nothing locking that knee again.. ever ;)

 

In a turn, the outside ankle rolling over is a common problem for almost everyone. When that ankle rolls over then great pressure is put on that outside knee. While I don't think that locked knee is destructive, I do believe a locked knee while hitting a bump is injurious.

There are three observed solutions to the rolling ankle/locked knee problem.

--You can simply place the feel further apart on the pedals.

--You can lift the heel of the inside leg completely off the pedal (front part of the foot has some contact).

--You can clamp the wheel then countersteer strongly in the opposite direction you want to go (turn left, twist right, you and the wheel falls into the turn). Since the wheel and you stay as a unit, there is no rolling or locking of ankle or leg.

A big reason to buy a 14 incher is because all these techniques work very well on them, whereas some huge wheels such as the Monster or MSuper seem limited to heel lifting (or perching on the inside pedal as I like to call it) and countersteering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...