generic euc submerged in water

andress

Hi,

so today I fell from my euc while riding in a park and my euc fell into a pond. It got fully submerged and before I managed to take it out I could see the LEDs flashing I think. When I took it out of the water the wheel didn't spin and I immediately turned it off. When I walked back home (carrying it for 3 km ) I opened both the battery and mainboard compartments and there were drops of water inside. I disconnected the power cables and now I'm letting it open to dry out properly before I'll try to turn it back on. Should I open the motor too or is it sealed or will it dry out without opening?

Thanks for any advice.

I'm sure others here have more experience than me but like they recommend with Cell phones I would disconnect the battery ASAP.  Then I would use a blow dryer or compressed air to blow off any water on the Controller board (and everywhere else too).  Making sure to get as much water from underneath the legs if the IC's.

Also, I don't know all of the circumstances of how your EU ended up in the pond but that's why some people use methods of retaining their EU's so they don't get away from them.  Keeping my EU out of ditches and creeks is one of my reasons.

The motors are fairly well sealed but not totally waterproof so personally I would open at least one side to be suse as if any water did get in it won't come out again on its own.

Your main problem is likely to be the control board, you may end up having to replace that. Also don't forget that most battery packs have bms circuit boards attached within the plastic wrappings, hopefully they've escaped getting wet inside the plastic but they may not have.

So after letting it dry for almost 24 hours and checking everything is dry I turned the euc on and it just beeped and did nothing... I tried few times with no change. Then I tried to charge it. It started charging and it turned on while on charger (balancing and everything) but then the LED on the charger turned green even though it wasn't done charging for sure. Now the euc is working on its own but it doesn't charge, so it won't be working for long. When I plug in the charger it is green from the beginning and never turns red. The euc has two LEDs of battery left. I also tried the calibration process hoping it would reset the whole euc somehow, didn't happen...

Any ideas on how to fix it? When you just plug charger into wall and not into euc is your LED green from the beginning?

Any ideas on how to fix it? When you just plug charger into wall and not into euc is your LED green from the beginning?

Sounds like the charging side of the BMS (Battery Management System, a circuit board wrapped inside the battery that controls charging, discharging and cell balancing) is damaged. I would be wary of trying to charge it, especially if you can't measure the voltage & current, as in the worst case it could let the cells overcharge, and that's pretty dangerous. Safest bet is a whole new battery, if the wheel seems to work fine otherwise.

On my chargers, it seems the charger led turns green when the charging current drops below certain amperage (which happens as the cells start to be full). If the charger is not connected to the wheel, there's no current, and hence the green light.

so after I read your post I opened the battery to see if there was anything visibly wrong with the BMS and found out that even though the battery was perfectly dry on the outside, it was still wet underneath all the plastic. Is there still a chance that it will charge again once fully dry?

any recommendations on where to buy the new battery from? I have 2200mAh 60V one right now it gives me only about 7 km range in real life (12 km under ideal conditions) so I would like a higher capacity one, but I'm afraid if it would fit

so after I read your post I opened the battery to see if there was anything visibly wrong with the BMS and found out that even though the battery was perfectly dry on the outside, it was still wet underneath all the plastic. Is there still a chance that it will charge again once fully dry?

You could try that, at least don't try to power it on or charge the battery until it is completely dry. And after it's dry, wrap it again so it won't come apart or short itself anywhere, the battery cells can and will be volatile. Under the label-wrapping, the outer part of the cell-cylinder is actually the negative pole. If you don't have that big shrink wrap laying around (well, most likely you don't ;)), take the old wraps and use electric insulation tape to tape them around the pack like they were before. Be careful when trying to charge it again, although rare, at worst case a malfunctioning battery can catch fire or explode... :mellow:

any recommendations on where to buy the new battery from? I have 2200mAh 60V one right now it gives me only about 7 km range in real life (12 km under ideal conditions) so I would like a higher capacity one, but I'm afraid if it would fit

60V * 2.2Ah = 132Wh, that's about the smallest battery available for the wheels (on some rare occasions there have been even smaller, but the range is so low that there's not much point) and probably most common in cheapest wheels. At least https://www.facebook.com/1radwerkstatt builds custom-packs specifically for wheels in Europe, they use high quality parts and spot-weld the batteries, so they're sturdy. Don't know about prices, but you could get for example 172Wh (2900mAh cells), 192Wh (3200mAh cells) or up to around 210Wh (3500mAh cells) battery (single pack). If you can fit more packs in the wheel, multiply the size of a single pack by the amount of packs. It might not make sense to buy very expensive pack(s) to your wheel, if it's a cheap generic, invest instead in a better wheel with big batteries ;)

looks like it is charging! :) I hope it will continue to work. I would love to have a better euc but right now I cannot afford it so it is a big relief this one works.Thanks for your support.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived