Uni to EUC? Back and crazy as a loon

Dingfelder

Hi folks and my friends of old.  Haven't been around for a while.  Bought a Gotway Msuper V3 and a cheap e-bay trainer and almost immediately suffered completely random leg and back injuries that postponed my training until getting a night job that exhausted me and left no energy to learn or do anything anyway.  I entered a perfect, years-long storm of "meh."

Job's over, lust to experience the glory of EUC not diminished ... but there is nowhere near that's good for practice and learning, and that's the stage I'm at.

So I turned to the enemy, regular unicycles, the smaller of which can be practiced almost anywhere and need little or no accommodation.  Supposedly coming this Monday:

https://www.unicycle.com/nimbus-24-oracle-mountain-unicycle/

24 inch mountain-tire and rough-terrain-set-up unicycle

Supposedly the skills have a high transfer rate to EUC.  If not, it sure looks like another way to have fun, and definitely to keep in shape.  

Wish me well!  I'll keep you apprised of my humiliations, the only part of most stories worth reading about anyway.

Welcome back!  Let me fill you in on what you missed...

And that is about it, I think.

@Everyone - please add in anything that I have forgotten.

36 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Welcome back!  Let me fill you in on what you missed...

And that is about it, I think.

@Everyone - please add in anything that I have forgotten.

@The Fat Unicyclist set up his own EUC/Electric scooter enterprise here in NZ, but is too modest to shout about it!

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Everyone - please add in anything that I have forgotten.

‘The Fat Unicyclist’ is a misnomer.  He is really built like an NFL linebacker. 

Sorry to hear about Rehab1's mishap.  To make him quit forever it must have been catastrophic, but to make him come back six weeks later, not really.

Marty, who I think is personally responsible for buying half the Gotways sold in North America, is now a Ninebot fan?  Wow, Ninebot must have really stepped up their game in a major way.

Grats to The Fat Unicyclist, and good luck!  Can't beat doing what you love for a living, and too few get (or take) the chance.  RE Hunka and US69, I've cruised the threads here a bit and there are so many new models out now that I feel very out of touch with what the state of the art really is.  One of my favorite parts of the forum has always been the video thread, and I guess I'll be able to catch up a lot there.  

Oh, and news flash:  got an e-mail today saying that they are delivering my new unicycle today, not Monday. OMG I'm not emotionally prepared ...

17 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

Oh, and news flash:  got an e-mail today saying that they are delivering my new unicycle today, not Monday. OMG I'm not emotionally prepared ...

Awesome! I can see your :).

Welcome back, Kotter!  Er... Dingfelder!  :clap3:  Although I now identify as Gotway,  I was formerly with Ninebot and prefer to be called EUC neutral.  I do have to say this new gender X MSuper has me wagging my tongue :dribble: somewhat, but Team Z Ninebot is tempting me back.  I’m proud to be a non-binary, rainbow LED EUC riding modern man of the ‘10’s!  :innocent1:

29 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

You'd better believe it!

I wonder what part of me is going to be bloody tonight?

Hopefully nothing but if you want blood squeeze a zit. 

Well, there was be blood.  Regular unicycle pedals often tend to be very "grippy" these days, and they do it by way of metal nubs projecting from the pedals to grip your shoe.  I fell backward, twice, no pain on the falls, but once I landed on the right pedal hard enough to scrape a couple of good bloody skid marks below my calf.  Didn't bleed a ton, but kept on bleeding for a while.  Uh oh; now my blanket is stained.

I had protective gear all over, but nothing but socks over my calves.  Now I'm thinking I need to get something to protect that area, which I've never even heard of people protecting before.  Cardboard maybe?  The sock is dead, no big deal, but I do want to keep my leg meat.

Fun otherwise, and I look forward to my session tomorrow.  It's clear I have no talent for this kind of thing, but that doesn't bother me so far.  

23 hours ago, fbhb said:

@The Fat Unicyclist set up his own EUC/Electric scooter enterprise here in NZ, but is too modest to shout about it!

Thanks @fbhb - I don't know if modest is the right word... Perhaps it is more that I am too petrified?

16 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

Grats to The Fat Unicyclist, and good luck!  Can't beat doing what you love for a living, and too few get (or take) the chance.

Thanks for that @Dingfelder - it's not quite a living yet (more a side-line), but if things keep going like they are I may just end up an EUC-magnate just like @Jason McNeil!

16 hours ago, RockyTop said:
21 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

‘The Fat Unicyclist’ is a misnomer.  He is really built like an NFL linebacker. 

He is  built 17 wheels short of being a Mack Truck. :)

I think it's actually just a combination of a few selective camera angles, a fair bit of Photoshop and an awful lot of sucking in! But I showed this to Mrs. TFU in case , and her feedback was, "Yes, just like an NFL Truck thingy... But much squidgier!"   :blink1:

• 3 weeks later...

Welp it's been over two weeks and I'm still not completely healed.  Most of the scabs are gone over most areas, but the deepest scrape is still all scabbed up.  This annoys me so much.  I'm not getting any younger here, but I haven't wanted to risk splitting or tearing open the wound again and having to start over.  So I've hardly trained at all in the interim.  Short bits of practicing balance while up against a doorway.

So I bit the bullet and bought a second unicycle, one smaller than my 24-incher to help me learn and do it more safely.  They say you should start with a 20 inch and then decide what you want to get after you've learned.  They're easier to handle and lower to the ground, speeding learning while reducing risk and fear factor at the same time.  But I thought I'd be a wise guy and buy what I wanted to actually ride, and pocket the difference. 

Did I truly make a mistake in buying the 24-incher instead of starting with a 20?  Probably.  Apparently I'm no natural, and buying a unicycle too hard for me to learn on without risking too much injury wasn't the best decision in more than one way.  But I couldn't discover that before trying.   Too bad I read all those success stories from the more talented!  Apparently there are a lot of those people.

Honestly I thought that discovery, if it came, would come in terms of realizing difficulty rather than injury.  Maybe I'd just find the 24 way too hard and cumbersome to master.  But actually it was injury that cut me short.  Everyone said, don't worry, people on unicycles fall forward.  There isn't even any safety gear sold that protects the back of the leg.  Well I fell backward twice in half an hour and realized ... okay ...

... my 20-incher is on the way.  

... and that no matter what people say, no matter what a whole industry says, you need to pad yourself well just in case they're wrong.

Archived