Help to buy :)

drago

Hello everyone I'm looking for some help on what wheel to get. I am currently playing on a cheep one that my buddy is letting my use but would like to start saving for a proper one.
I am heavy at 115kg and looking for somthing I can use to get to work on which is about 2 miles so 4 there and back. Would love somthing I can use to take the dog out for a walk on so offroad capable would be a big +
Speed and distance would be good to be high
Price Is not such a big thing will just have to save for longer but would like to get what I pay for and not for somthing that's over priced
Any help would be great thanks :D

Hello everyone I'm looking for some help on what wheel to get. I am currently playing on a cheep one that my buddy is letting my use but would like to start saving for a proper one.
I am heavy at 115kg and looking for somthing I can use to get to work on which is about 2 miles so 4 there and back. Would love somthing I can use to take the dog out for a walk on so offroad capable would be a big +
Speed and distance would be good to be high
Price Is not such a big thing will just have to save for longer but would like to get what I pay for and not for somthing that's over priced
Any help would be great thanks :D

hi drago,

i would recommend either a 16 or 18 in wheel for your needs. 16" is more nimble and has better maneuverability while 18" rides faster and is more stable at high speeds. I'd love to see you ride an Gotway MSuper2 18 but I want to be objective and let you know your options. There is also KingSong 18, which I hear good things about. Your only other 18 is the Solowheel Extreme, which is the priciest and has the smallest battery - which I personally don't think is worth it. At the 16" is Ninebot and a few others, I can't comment too much on that size class. You should peruse this forum, plenty of valuable information here!

At 115kg you are definately going to need a more powerful wheel. Lesser wheels struggle with my 90Kg, the 120kg that all wheels seem to quote is very optimistic for the lower powered ones.

The Msuper would cope well but I would suggest you go for the middle speed or even low speed high torque one rather than the high speed version. Not so sure about the Ninebot, a lot would depend on the hills you have to climb.

The latest batch of IPS eucs have powerful motors and no longer suffer from the low speeds that they used to, they are a bit limited on the a available battery sizes though, just like the Ninebot but their motors are higher power, as I always recommend people to get the biggest available battery in any euc they buy I would only say the IPS if you really only expect to do your 4 mile commute and maybe twice as much recreationally. They are capable of a lot more range but once the battery is below 50% of useable power they don't cope with sudden dips and bumps well.

At 115kg you are definately going to need a more powerful wheel. Lesser wheels struggle with my 90Kg, the 120kg that all wheels seem to quote is very optimistic for the lower powered ones.

The Msuper would cope well but I would suggest you go for the middle speed or even low speed high torque one rather than the high speed version. Not so sure about the Ninebot, a lot would depend on the hills you have to climb.

The latest batch of IPS eucs have powerful motors and no longer suffer from the low speeds that they used to, they are a bit limited on the a available battery sizes though, just like the Ninebot but their motors are higher power, as I always recommend people to get the biggest available battery in any euc they buy I would only say the IPS if you really only expect to do your 4 mile commute and maybe twice as much recreationally. They are capable of a lot more range but once the battery is below 50% of useable power they don't cope with sudden dips and bumps well.

hey gimlet.  May I ask why you recommended the Middle speed or high torque? Does the high speed version have issues? Or was it for just his weight

At a guess I would say at my Weight more talk would be better the gotway seems to be good from that I'm reading about them anyone no how much it would cost to get one in the UK or have there website as I can't seem to find it 

Can't seem to find any information on the kingsong 

Thanks for the help so far ?

Torque is your friend and 115kg is approaching the upper limit so if there are any hills at all its going to need the torque and a large battery to maintain it for anything more than a few meters.

Gray Goodbarn of Yorkshire Airwheels sells the high torque version of the Msuper in the UK so you get a local warranty and all taxes are paid.

The KingSong 18" has recently been upgraded from a 500W to an 800W motor but rumour has it that a 1300W upgrade will be available shortly. This will leap frog it over the 1000W motor of the Msuper so could be very interesting if you can wait for a few weeks. I'm not sure if Jason McNeil of Wheelgo will be importing them alongside the 14" 800W King Songs he imports presently.

I will deff be picking up a 1300watt kingsong as soon as it is released.  As far as the msuper I love my hs version. I'm about 90kg and had no problem flying up a pretty steep hill.  But 115 to 90 is a huge difference.  I can see why the HT model would be better for him. Great info gimlet

The 800W 14" King Song is impressive and would probably be fine for you but I would normally hesitate to recommend a 14" wheel for commuting. But 2 miles each way really isn't very far so it would probably be fine. The smaller the wheel the more attention and concentration is required on the surface you are riding on, bumps and dips unsettle smaller wheels more.

The 800W 14" King Song is impressive and would probably be fine for you but I would normally hesitate to recommend a 14" wheel for commuting. But 2 miles each way really isn't very far so it would probably be fine. The smaller the wheel the more attention and concentration is required on the surface you are riding on, bumps and dips unsettle smaller wheels more.

I can attest to that, having now ridden a bit more with vee's 14" Gotway, the wheel feels really unstable at high speeds compared to 16" Firewheel, even though the size difference of the tire isn't that big. And that's on a road with fairly good condition, it actually starts rocking (tilting) back and forth a bit once the speed reaches something like 25-26 on the Gotway app. Hitting a bump on that speed would be downright scary, I've been taking it slow if the road's in bad condition. On the other hand, it clearly has way more torque when riding in the hiking paths, that's probably also at least partially due to the MCM2s having 4 packs and my Firewheel only has (soon had) 2 packs. So it probably could handle the bumps otherwise, but could tilt a lot forward before stabilizing again (and with high speed, there's a risk that the fast acceleration following tilt takes it over the shutdown speed, assuming I could keep my balance anyway).

Aaand back to garage, I'm going to try and finish that shell tonight... ;)

I use my kingsong 14 " on commuting for an hour from brooklyn to manhattan and i ride it at top speed. Yes bumps are unpleasant especially if the tire pressure is high but it handles them nicely. It will be a smoother ride of course and less dangerous with an 18" wheel. I dont think 16" will make much of a difference. Also it matters how you take the bump. Your legs need to be trained to be kinda loose to allow the wheel to deviate a bit in the direction it wants to and then bring it back into balance. If your legs are too rigid, the bump can make you fall. 

14" works for me as it is more universal and i can make tight turns if i want to and ride slow around crowds of pedestrians in manhattan too. So its not perfect for either (commuting or manouvering around pedestrians at very slow speeds) but kinda ok for both. I now can ride very very slow and almost stand in one spot on it. I am very curious about the 18" version though, especially the ability to sit down, but not sure the wheel is very practical in the city with crowds of slow moving pedestricans in situations where you will constantly go fro riding in biking lanes, to street, to sidewalks etc. 

On my way to work I will not see more than 5 people so that's ok 

And walking dog with it on packed mud tracks and gravel foot paths maybe in to the woods when I'm better on it would also be fun so think the 18 is the way to go 

I understand what you mean about bumps as I do a lot of Mt biking so it's the same idea on that about not being stiff 

Has anyone got a link to a kingsong so I can see what I'm looking at and the price              thanks 

I'm quite happy travelling 5km into town and back on my 10" wheel but it does take a lot more concentration and in a commuting situation doing the same journey day after day would you really want to have to concentrate that hard?

Familiarity and complacency on repeat journeys in my opinion is a bigger cause of accidents than speeding or messing about so anything that makes a wipe out in that situation less likely should be used.

16" is a lot different from 14" for travelling distances and 18" is another step up in smoothly crossing rough uneven ground. The KS14" 800W would be fine, as I've said, but for regular daily commuting a bigger wheel would be better.

I have a problem pasting links on my phone. They never seem to work but you can see the 14" KS on the wheelgo website and a general search should find the much taller 18".

The Gotway M18 can be seen on the Yorkshire Airwheels site.

You will find cheaper prices on the Chinese sites but individual shipping is very expensive and brings the price close to domestic prices, then if you have to pay customs charges and VAT which for some reason is also cadded to the shipping charge as well as the cost of the item. That makes domestic purchases look more reasonable plus with a local suppler you do have the option to return for warranty repair whereas the direct suppliers, whilst being very helpful with replacement parts and repair instructions cannot normally accept returns, even if they could the price and difficulty sending batteries makes it practically impossible and a very long term project for a simple repair.

It's at least a month a way.

Ok, wasn't going to buy one before the winter anyway, but might consider to get one for next summer after the year changes, maybe... will have to see how the Firewheel-project goes, if it comes out alright, might be that I have no need for another 16" wheel, so then I'd probably go for a 18" Kingsong with large batteries instead ;)

Archived