Argie

Ninebot ES2 + rain

Hi,

I've read in the Ninebot ES2's manual that is not recommended to use it when is raining. I understand that there could be puddles that cover holes or that make the scooter slides. But besides it I'm wondering if there could be also electrical problems if I use my scooter when is raining. Is this scooter "water-proof"?

Please, tell me your experience regarding this theme.

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

I'd like to answer this in the best way I can.

According to this fact sheet the Ninebot ES2 has an IP rating of IP54.
IP means ingress protection.
The first number is solids, being 5 it says it is has dust 'protection' meaning dust can enter but would not be sufficient enough to cause problems.
The second number is liquids, being 4 means it is protected against occasional splashes of water such as light rain or riding through a shallow puddle. But if left in the rain for a long duration it could fail.

Water 'proof' is at level IPx7, IPx8 or IPx9. Proof being submersible in water at depth for an extended duration of time. 7 means one meter at 30 minutes. 8 is beyond one meter, and 9 is direct powerful high temperature blasts of water. IN EXAMPLE a pressure washer on high with hot water.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 1:12 AM, Esper said:

I'd like to answer this in the best way I can.

According to this fact sheet the Ninebot ES2 has an IP rating of IP54.
IP means ingress protection.
The first number is solids, being 5 it says it is has dust 'protection' meaning dust can enter but would not be sufficient enough to cause problems.
The second number is liquids, being 4 means it is protected against occasional splashes of water such as light rain or riding through a shallow puddle. But if left in the rain for a long duration it could fail.

Water 'proof' is at level IPx7, IPx8 or IPx9. Proof being submersible in water at depth for an extended duration of time. 7 means one meter at 30 minutes. 8 is beyond one meter, and 9 is direct powerful high temperature blasts of water. IN EXAMPLE a pressure washer on high with hot water.

Well, thank you for the info. 

I'm not planning to use my Ninebot in the rain for a long duration, but I wonder if I could use it under rain for a while... It's sound like not a reasonable option after read your info :)

On 8/11/2018 at 10:24 PM, Argie said:

Well, thank you for the info. 

I'm not planning to use my Ninebot in the rain for a long duration, but I wonder if I could use it under rain for a while... It's sound like not a reasonable option after read your info :)

I'll probably chance it at time this autumn with my ES4 with lighter rains at least, particularly with the as-of-yet unaddressed water issues prohibiting rides with my V10F. Haven't yet rode it in rain though, but I'll try to keep you posted :)

• Upvote 1