Ninebot ES2 + rain

Argie

Hi,

I've read in the Ninebot ES2's manual that is not recommended to use it when is raining. I understand that there could be puddles that cover holes or that make the scooter slides. But besides it I'm wondering if there could be also electrical problems if I use my scooter when is raining. Is this scooter "water-proof"?

Please, tell me your experience regarding this theme.

Thank you!

• Upvote 1

I'd like to answer this in the best way I can.

According to this fact sheet the Ninebot ES2 has an IP rating of IP54.
IP means ingress protection.
The first number is solids, being 5 it says it is has dust 'protection' meaning dust can enter but would not be sufficient enough to cause problems.
The second number is liquids, being 4 means it is protected against occasional splashes of water such as light rain or riding through a shallow puddle. But if left in the rain for a long duration it could fail.

Water 'proof' is at level IPx7, IPx8 or IPx9. Proof being submersible in water at depth for an extended duration of time. 7 means one meter at 30 minutes. 8 is beyond one meter, and 9 is direct powerful high temperature blasts of water. IN EXAMPLE a pressure washer on high with hot water.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2018 at 1:12 AM, Esper said:

I'd like to answer this in the best way I can.

According to this fact sheet the Ninebot ES2 has an IP rating of IP54.
IP means ingress protection.
The first number is solids, being 5 it says it is has dust 'protection' meaning dust can enter but would not be sufficient enough to cause problems.
The second number is liquids, being 4 means it is protected against occasional splashes of water such as light rain or riding through a shallow puddle. But if left in the rain for a long duration it could fail.

Water 'proof' is at level IPx7, IPx8 or IPx9. Proof being submersible in water at depth for an extended duration of time. 7 means one meter at 30 minutes. 8 is beyond one meter, and 9 is direct powerful high temperature blasts of water. IN EXAMPLE a pressure washer on high with hot water.

Well, thank you for the info. 

I'm not planning to use my Ninebot in the rain for a long duration, but I wonder if I could use it under rain for a while... It's sound like not a reasonable option after read your info :)

On 8/11/2018 at 10:24 PM, Argie said:

Well, thank you for the info. 

I'm not planning to use my Ninebot in the rain for a long duration, but I wonder if I could use it under rain for a while... It's sound like not a reasonable option after read your info :)

I'll probably chance it at time this autumn with my ES4 with lighter rains at least, particularly with the as-of-yet unaddressed water issues prohibiting rides with my V10F. Haven't yet rode it in rain though, but I'll try to keep you posted :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2018 at 11:09 AM, Nils said:

I'll probably chance it at time this autumn with my ES4 with lighter rains at least, particularly with the as-of-yet unaddressed water issues prohibiting rides with my V10F. Haven't yet rode it in rain though, but I'll try to keep you posted :)

Thank you Nils!

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

I used my ES1 in the rain several times with no adverse effects on the electronics. The bigger concern with these things in the rain is that braking and handling are affected in a significantly adverse way. The tires are small, the treads on the tires are smaller, and the treads wear in practically no time. All that leads to a very slippery, and potentially dangerous ride. I imagine the advice against using it in the rain is tailored more toward that safety concern. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Argie said:

Last week a man died in Spain after sliding with his scooter. Apparently he slipped when he stepped on water on the ground. He did not wear a helmet.

Did he step on the water or ride through it and then slip?

Anyway, I think that this will be a problem with these scooter sharing services, people just jumping on and blazing away. Most people in this forum will probably be wise enough to gear up, at least when riding their own scooters, given that it's something you have to consider when riding an EUC and it's likely to carry over to when you're riding other electrical vehicles (when riding my scooter I wear at least a helmet and wrist guards).

I rode my ES4 home in rather heavy rain this Monday, with no apparent issues so far. I'll second @TripleEsq's warning about the slippery conditions though. I was careful, particularly when turning, but at times you could feel lack of grip on the wet surface. I rode past a pedestrian crossing where the surface consisted of some rather hard and smooth material and I could feel the scooter skid a little bit sideways. This was at very slow speed thankfully, but you definitely need to watch out. I think EUCs are much better suited for wet conditions in this regard, provided that they're water proofed of course.

• 10 months later...

A few days ago I rode under rather heavy rain. I got home safe and sound and my ES2 didn't seem to have any problems but next day the bike turned on with and error 18 and the motor would not work. Perhaps it was just some spill because one day later the error went away and everything was normal again.

If the rain ws the issue it seems that the issue is not frequent...

Be safe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got caught in sudden heavy rain yesterday. My es2 seemed fine until I tried to go home on it a few hours later. The speedo didn’t know what it was doing, the scooter was slow and for the first 15 mins made a grinding noise. Now it seems better but I still get a red spanner sign when I turn it on. 

• 4 months later...