NINEBOT ES1 ES2 Motherboard replacement.

scooterider

When the headlight is on and your power is dropped (lower speed), this means the relay fused is worn out and needs to be replaced in most cases, short the "B" component

1)

You could just short the connector and see if it resolves the issue with "Light on" and "lower power output".

2)

Other simptom is the output of the batteries are not synced and this is where 1 or 2 cells are bad and preventing full output. You will have to use a ohm meter and check the voltage of each battery unit.

3)

The throttle magnets are not fully seated, pull off the throttle and check the magnets and make sure they are glued into the right place.

4)

The wheel unit is failing and you will need to open and clean it. or check the wiring at the bottom of the pole and see if any of the wires are worn out.

5)

if speed is still limited, then your control board is programmed to be lower speed, replace control board to allow speed change.

Note: most new birds are not fixed at the lower speed due to accidents happening at the higher speeds and causing severe damage, so they have lowered the speed output.

I purchased a replacement controller & dashboard and was able to get the scooter to connect to the app. It prompted me for a FW update, and I pressed continue, but am still getting error 35. "default vehicle s/n. please replace master control" in the app.

Will the battery trick help me here? Did I mess up by updating the FW in the app? 

Not sure what to do next here but any advice will be helpful.

I also can get the scooter to start by turning it on while holding down the throttle and releasing, but I get very low performance, almost like it's speed capped. 

You need to do the FW update, and this requires you to access the power connector to the controller board to the battery inside the tube.
You disconnect the battery to the controller and then reconnect
You have the phone app ready to connect via Bluetooth
Start the phone Bluetooth and then power your scooter on
connect to the scooter ASAP and do the FW update ASAP
35 is an error saying there is out of sync communication between components and they need an FW update

The speed is limited at 9mph until the FW is updated
You can then follow the RESET steps above to change the speed limit back to default. Max should be 17mph or 27 Kmh

if you still have issues check the app and see if the speed limit is set to 9mph or 12 Kmh

Thanks for the reply. 

Right now my control board says it's version is v5.0.5 and the battery is v1.3.6. The ninebot app is not prompting for any updates even though it's showing the "nRF####" name (doing the battery trick) so I think that's the correct mode.

I've tried the ESRollback app to try to downgrade it to try again, but when I tap on the internal battery, no firmware is available to flash. It also gets to 47% then says "ERROR" while rescanning. Just for fun, I've tried reflashing v1.3.9 but it fails on chunk 1.

Not sure what to try next.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:32 PM, Blazing said:

Thanks for the reply. 

Right now my control board says it's version is v5.0.5 and the battery is v1.3.6. The ninebot app is not prompting for any updates even though it's showing the "nRF####" name (doing the battery trick) so I think that's the correct mode.

I've tried the ESRollback app to try to downgrade it to try again, but when I tap on the internal battery, no firmware is available to flash. It also gets to 47% then says "ERROR" while rescanning. Just for fun, I've tried reflashing v1.3.9 but it fails on chunk 1.

Not sure what to try next.

I'm familiar with your problems. You didn't get genuine ninebot parts???

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 12:29 PM, ionbrain said:

The error 35 is pointing to a bad controller issue, most likely a ES1 controller board in a ES2 scooter, as for changing serial number, that's only possible with full disassembly and connecting to a unit that can fully erase the EEPROM and reprogram it. You cannot change the serial without the right equipment.

I have also seen this issue also when you have a new controller that is not in sync and it gives the error serial number conflict which is a poor description.

what you should try is do a full disassemble because you will need your controller to be disconnected from the battery on and off and this could take a few tries.

you must have the segway app on and scanning and the scooter off. 

then power connect the battery to the controller and try and connect via bluetooth and you will get the update firmware option and you must press update quickly or you will

lose your window of chance and have to start all over again. after updating the firmware, you will have to manually again try to update the firmware again until it is fully updated everything.

what firmware version do you have?

what scooter do you have? 

there are so many combinations need more information to make a better assessment 

Ion, what does it mean if the es2 turns on and rides but the dash is black. It responds to the one tap light but it’s kind of slow as well. 

any help appreciated 

OK, so I've brought home two Ninebot ES4:s, the rental ones go under the name VOI in European cities. Replaced the dashboard with an OEM from Ebay. When connecting the new dash to the motherboard the dash lights up and I can connect to it through the Segway app. I can see all the info like battery voltage, serial numbers etc, customize light settings etc. The problem is that the scooter is locked, and I simply just can't unlock it from the app. Nothing happens when I tap or hold the padlock symbol. Also, the bike is impossible to shut of. It doesn't react at all to the power button being pushed. 

I've tried the new dashboard on the two different motherboards. If I disconnect one of the motor cables I get "hall sensor error" in the app, which suggests that the communication from the motherboard--->Bluetooth dash---->Segway app works as it should. So any ideas on what I need to do? Like a reset of the motherboard, but how?

I was hoping not to have to replace the motherboard as well. I found a China kit on Ebay including the dasbhoard, motherboard and a charger for silly US $12.99. But that looks a bit to good to be true, right? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Circuit-Board- ... US $12.99

I have a completely dead ES2 (w. extra battery).  I opened it up and found a mess of molten cable connectors and charred cables and connectors. Definitely not the quality I was expecting :( I have disconnected the board, the battery and cleared up the cables and I'm now in the process of finding what the problem is. For me, it seems like the control board is dead. It gets juice from the battery just fine, but there seems to be no output to the display cable, I'm guessing it should at least be a 5v current going on two of the pins?

Is there a layout/pinout of the control board somewhere?

Thinking of ordering a spare control board from banggood. Yay or ney?

Cheers!

On 4/12/2019 at 11:50 PM, Allstardos said:

Ion, what does it mean if the es2 turns on and rides but the dash is black. It responds to the one tap light but it’s kind of slow as well.

any help appreciated 

If the Dash does not light up then you've got a conflict in the dash unit. 

if it drives slow, well that is expected because the scooter is still in a locked state and will only go about 5-6 mph until its unlocked

you can't mix dashboards with just any scooter brands either.  The scooter has to be the right one. If you have a GPS attached then the Dashboard replacement will not work because its geared for a scooter that doesn't't have a GPS unit.

To make sure you have the right dashboard that works, you will need have the scooter fully disassembled to figure out where the problem is. it is key to be able to unplug the power from the battery to the controller in order for the app to be able to access the Diagnostic mode of the dashboard.

Because once the batter is connected to the controller and the controller is connected to the Dashboard, the dashboard is already ON and you need to access it before that point.

Meaning unplug battery , plug in dashboard to controller, but make sure controller is not plugged into battery

then have phone app ready and on and searching for bluetooth. then plugin battery to controller and the instant you see the bluetooth connection 

you connect to it  and run the update firmware 
if you are slow to get this right, it will say all kinds of errors, wrong serial, 35 error etc

but if you do it right, you will get firmware update screen and then it work fine from there

On 4/18/2019 at 1:19 PM, Bradley said:

OK, so I've brought home two Ninebot ES4:s, the rental ones go under the name VOI in European cities. Replaced the dashboard with an OEM from Ebay. When connecting the new dash to the motherboard the dash lights up and I can connect to it through the Segway app. I can see all the info like battery voltage, serial numbers etc, customize light settings etc. The problem is that the scooter is locked, and I simply just can't unlock it from the app. Nothing happens when I tap or hold the padlock symbol. Also, the bike is impossible to shut of. It doesn't react at all to the power button being pushed. 

I've tried the new dashboard on the two different motherboards. If I disconnect one of the motor cables I get "hall sensor error" in the app, which suggests that the communication from the motherboard--->Bluetooth dash---->Segway app works as it should. So any ideas on what I need to do? Like a reset of the motherboard, but how?

I was hoping not to have to replace the motherboard as well. I found a China kit on Ebay including the dasbhoard, motherboard and a charger for silly US $12.99. But that looks a bit to good to be true, right? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Circuit-Board- ... US $12.99

This price is really unbelievable and I have serious doubt as to these actually working.

On the dashboard unit, when you look at the chips on the bottom is there a WHITE dot? yes - then possibly a good unit

as for it being still locked, you need to have every disassembled because you will need to have access to the battery powerline to the controller

and disconnect there but have the controller connected to dashboard

when you connect the power to the controller does the dashboard beep 1 time? yes then continue

disconnect power

run segway app and start scanning 

plug in the power

see the unit on the app and select it and immediately go to firmware update

did you get to firmware update ? yes - then continue, otherwise try again until you get it right

if firmware update fails at anypoint, do the whole process again again until it works

once the firmware is updated , do the process again until it says your firmware is up to date

then, disconnect power from controller

press and hold the power button on the dashboard

connect the power cable to the controller

hold button until it flashes a different pattern , normal pattern is just a blink a second  , you should see several rapid blinks

then disconnect the power

release the button from the dashboard

reconnect the power to the controller and then press the dashboard power on button 

all should be good at this point, if not go back and do it again. your too slow or not hold button long enough to clear the lock

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a difference between the green control board and the blue control board? I have noticed that the bird boards blue plugs have only 4 pins and the lime/lyft boards with green plug have 5 pins. What happens if you swap boards between the two. Will the the dashboard work the same or explode in your hands. Thanks 

Swapping the boards will not work, because both use a proprietary firmware for the USB and the BlueTooth communications. The only result is the same of both. Errors.  Lime spends a lot more money on trying to protect their birds then Bird does.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ninebot es1 that I got from an auction. I replaced the dashboard and the scooter turns on. However it doesn’t run (acceleration, braking) but the dash turns on. I can’t connect to the Bluetooth on the app either. 

On 5/27/2019 at 5:21 AM, Kevbatteryman said:

I have the error 35 after changing my controller.  Any help would be appreciated 

The reason that you got error 35 is that your new control board isn't activated yet. More importantly, customers like you can't activate it, but can ask ninebot office located in New Jersey or Michigan as long as I remember. And even more importantly, there is nothing they can do for you.

On 6/7/2019 at 5:13 PM, Steve G said:

I have a ninebot es1 that I got from an auction. I replaced the dashboard and the scooter turns on. However it doesn’t run (acceleration, braking) but the dash turns on. I can’t connect to the Bluetooth on the app either. 

You can fix this issue with the segway ninebot app and some timing

login to all login in ninebot app with login ninebotservice and password 123456

then disconnect the controller from battery , but keep it connected to display

have app running searching for you es1, then connect control back to battery and power on the display

immediately bluetooth connect and go into firmware update, start update right away

Hello everyone. I recalled that two days before the scooter had disconnected I noticed the following. In the morning the max speed was up to 30km, and in the evening with the light turned on the max speed was 24-25km, I thought it was because of the update that flew on the eve. Here on the forum they say that it indicates a fuse. And yet, even though the dashboard does not react to anything, when I connect the assembled system to charging, the indicator of the internal battery starts flashing red ... what can it say?

On 6/18/2019 at 10:19 PM, Foxlifebit said:

Hello everyone. I recalled that two days before the scooter had disconnected I noticed the following. In the morning the max speed was up to 30km, and in the evening with the light turned on the max speed was 24-25km, I thought it was because of the update that flew on the eve. Here on the forum they say that it indicates a fuse. And yet, even though the dashboard does not react to anything, when I connect the assembled system to charging, the indicator of the internal battery starts flashing red ... what can it say?

You need to run the Segway app and look at the battery section.

if you have 2 batteries then look at each battery bank and see if there is a battery that is not charging

Connect with Bluetooth to your scooter

Select the "Battery" in the menu selections

Scroll down and you will see "Battery Cells' voltage" , Select this

You will then see 10 rows of "Battery Cell1 - 10" and each should be 4.15 to 4.19 voltage rating . (Fully Charged)

if any are below 3.0v or less then you may have a bad battery pack, but more likely you scooter has suffered a jolt and disconnected a battery connection

The only way is to replace the unit or open the battery and find the broken connection with a Ohm Meter and then soldier it back

then charge the battery back up again and check the voltage again

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,I found dumped in a garbage container Ninibot KickScooter ES1.I pressed the power-on display and, to my surprise, was working,but does not start nor does Bluetooth connection.just by turning the front wheel sounds beep beep.tell me what I need to change so I can use it-motherboard, display and can I remove bluetooth connection too,and just to go without the need a bluetooth connection!

On 7/10/2019 at 8:45 AM, desi said:

Hello,I found dumped in a garbage container Ninibot KickScooter ES1.I pressed the power-on display and, to my surprise, was working,but does not start nor does Bluetooth connection.just by turning the front wheel sounds beep beep.tell me what I need to change so I can use it-motherboard, display and can I remove bluetooth connection too,and just to go without the need a bluetooth connection!

This scooter sounds to be in a locked state, you will need to try and do a reset , that process is explained in the group chat.