NINEBOT ES1 ES2 Motherboard replacement.

scooterider

No,

The dashboard is just the interface to the App,

it has the Bluetooth chip for communications and software to connect to any power controller with the same USB interface

to clarify you replace the Dashboard and then it will demand to update the firmware not the controller and then the BMS and external BMS if needed

Edited by ionbrain
needed clarity

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to follow his directions and complete a hardware swap by doing the update. It did take a few tries to get the timing down but I'm fairly certain that if I can get my hands on another one at auction I could do this again by following his steps.

I replaced my ES2 mother board with board from Ninebot and I get error 35. I tried the trick described here to pair it via bluetooth as soon as it turns on but it didnt work. I unplugged the mother board from the batttery and tried it again and again but still not working. Any help would be greatly appriciated!!

if you get a error code 35 the easy way to get on your way is to make sure the unit is off, press either the brake or throtle and at the same time turn on the unit. Error code should go away and you are on your way. I spoke to Ninebot repair and they confirmed thats a "temp" fix in that they want you to send in your board to initilize it for a fee of 65 dollars. 

• Like 2

Sorry been out for the holidays 

I have recently picked up two es1, one with lights on the bottom and es1 without lights on the bottom 

I did have difficulty with the timing on getting the one without lights to get pass the 35 error

So I swapped temporarily the controller and was able to get the battery Bms updated and then swapped the controller back and got the controller updated and finally all were working fine

I think the one with lights seemed to be easy to convert . I want to clarify that it’s the es1 body no rear shock that is easy. Extra battery pack did not make a difference.

THERE IS ALSO PEOPLE SELLING THE PARTS FROM BIRDS OR LIMES AND THEY WILL NOT WORK. YOU MUST BUY FROM CHINA AND NOT LOCAL

I always ordered from China and get the part from there. bought 2 form carrie_yux-5 on ebay and they both worked

ones from China don't have dots painted on the BlueTooth Board , These Lime or Bird part and they require more equipment to wipe the EEPROM on the board

you will also see small QRcodes or Stickers.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_744a.jpg

Edited by ionbrain
added photo and updated text for more details

I got a new board but I can't get it to work. It doesn't give error but I can't even charge the battery or change anything expect the Bluetooth name. Setting in the Segway app doesn't open with error "wnumber is null". No matter how many times I reconnect battery and turn on the scooter while the app is scanning. It never asks to update anything. I can't change serial too. It says not allowed because no factory number.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:33 AM, Nine said:

I got a new board but I can't get it to work. It doesn't give error but I can't even charge the battery or change anything expect the Bluetooth name. Setting in the Segway app doesn't open with error "wnumber is null". No matter how many times I reconnect battery and turn on the scooter while the app is scanning. It never asks to update anything. I can't change serial too. It says not allowed because no factory number.

Changing the name via bluetooth has nothing to do with the controller or battery, that is just the bluetooth chip inside the the dashboard nor can you change the serial number.

if you are not getting a error then you clearly have a bad controller board. To confirm controller is even working you will need to disconnect the cables that come from the controller and connect to the wheel or lights below. You will then power on and see a 18 error  which says the cable between the control and wheel is faulty or just fails for x reason

if you get nothing then your controller is not working and you need to get a replacement.

if you get a 18 then the controller USB section is working and relaying the information correctly to the Dashboard USB. But the board still has a issue and you will need to really examine the board for a failed component (most people don't have the tools for this and must replace the board)

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7543.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_744c.jpg

On 1/28/2019 at 7:57 AM, Andrew Green said:

Its the motherboard that came with the scooter.  How do I get a replacement? 

You will need to do your due diligence on getting a genuine controller board

example here is a Amazon link selling a controller but the image clearly shows this is not a ES2 or ES1 controller. The extended battery connection is not even scene

Bad Amazon Seller.

possible good Amazon Seller, I have ordered from this one and my main complaint is it slow slow slow to get here...

possible good Ebay Seller, its a gamble when getting these items but I have had success as long as its from China and images match and the text is not misspelled. You really don't need all the aluminium housing, you just need to board insideUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7435.thumb.jpg.9270533322375b49f3de8984d27d6486.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_744c.jpg

Sure if your know your circuits and can decipher the components that are bad. You would need several tools to and schematic would really be helpful.

But having said all that, there is no known schematic on the public servers so you would have to do a step by step diagnost of each component.  The common failure is the component is the fuse with a "B" on it . I've attached 2 screen captures so you can see what I am talking about. This fast resetting fuse tends to wear out and not enough power can be drawn from the batteries .  symptoms are like you turn the light on and you can't go fast anymore, random braking sensation , sputter while riding. 

This person mentioned he bought a new controller board but It could be a lime controller that requires the GPS to be plugged in inorder to work but I can't tell if it is by text alone. I would need to see a photo of the board and see if there are extra connectors .

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 9.38.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 9.40.03 AM.png

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a second hand ES2 with similar issue but now when I opened controller I can see that it is reacting to power button and activate the green light with beep unless I’m connecting the from wheel. Once I connect the wheel the power button isn’t active anymore and only sounds I get is a long beeping sounds when I move the wheel 

If its beeps then the dashboard is not connecting correctly.

The beeping can only come from the dashboard speaker, nothing else has a audio component.

Check the scooter and do you see it on the Bluetooth connection with the Segway application ( I would think so)

and if it connects you should see the error code and tell me what that code is

and since the display is not working, I suggest you open the top bar off and disconnect the round connector, that's the 4 pin connector and look at all the pins, sounds like a bad connection or a bent pin.

Edited by ionbrain
added help for the round connector

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone find a way to get rid of error 35? using the sellers account they give you on ebay doesn't work. You can login and get to the change serial number section but

then gives target serial number error. So it doesn't change the default serial number.  You can hold down the accelerator and turn on the scooter but then I'm limited

to 13mph and can't change speed modes or update firmware.

The error 35 is pointing to a bad controller issue, most likely a ES1 controller board in a ES2 scooter, as for changing serial number, that's only possible with full disassembly and connecting to a unit that can fully erase the EEPROM and reprogram it. You cannot change the serial without the right equipment.

I have also seen this issue also when you have a new controller that is not in sync and it gives the error serial number conflict which is a poor description.

what you should try is do a full disassemble because you will need your controller to be disconnected from the battery on and off and this could take a few tries.

you must have the segway app on and scanning and the scooter off. 

then power connect the battery to the controller and try and connect via bluetooth and you will get the update firmware option and you must press update quickly or you will

lose your window of chance and have to start all over again. after updating the firmware, you will have to manually again try to update the firmware again until it is fully updated everything.

what firmware version do you have?

what scooter do you have? 

there are so many combinations need more information to make a better assessment 

Hi @iombrain I'm writing from Mexico where they have implemented GRlN scooters. I was able to open a ES2 the other day and it did not have GPS modules anywhere (internal/external). However the only thing I was able to do with the Segway app was to recognize it and connect it, but if I try to unlock it, doesn't work. I cannot turn it off either. I have two simple questions based on your experience.

1- Anything to do with the scooter as it is (taking into account it does not have any GPS modules)? 

2- To convert it in to a personal scooter, would it be enough just to replace the dashboard, or do I also need to order the controller?

I also noticed they have another model which does not come with shock absorber in the back, I guess they it is not the ES1 because they are newer and the model in the bottom appears to be something like SCN1001 and they battery is 347watts, just internal, no external items at all. 

Thank you man! 

Hello all, hoping for some sort of resolution regarding this topic. I have purchased a bird scooter from an auction, the model number says es4, however it appears to be an es2(no rear suspension or ext battery) I have ordered a dashboard and am able to ride /connect to app/change underLEDS. 

HOWEVER

I am suck in the mode with the white s, I cannot get it into sport mode and when I attempt to all it does is control the headlight. (also when the headlight is on I'm limited to 13kph but I'm ok with this as I never ride with the headlight on) 

Is there a way to manually get it into sport mode? If not what are my bes options to get the full speed out of this little birdy.