Shin Guards / Knee Pads good or Bad for riding a EUC?

hi all

I was thinking of getting knee/shin guards, I'm learning to use a KS18-L  and finding the side of my legs getting very cut and leg bruising where my leg is resting on the EUC.. I know people say on the videos you get used to it and you won't feel it anymore. the question is if I got some does it make it harder to ride a EUC? 

here is what I'm looking at right now link below

https://www.skatehut.co.uk/brands/fox_racing/fox_launch_pro_shin_guards_knee_pads_black.htm?currency=GBPproductid=132858&gclid=Cj0KCQjw45_bBRD_ARIsAJ6wUXRXETPmBFZ0cjuMAKQj0GnkvqlatoZBT4H9CQrZzOKYbfsBGiTG0EoaAqIXEALw_wcB

I never used them, but several people on the forum have, and say that it makes learning less painful.  Some experienced riders use them for one legged riding.

Your link is not working, but probably any shin pad would work.  After riding long enough, you will not need them anymore.

You got one of the top wheels available, congratulations!

I started out wearing heavy duty extreme skateboarding knee pads. I'm glad I did, as I took a lot of spills while I was learning. After I got a bit better I switched to tactical style kneepads - Arc'teryx Kneecaps. They are much more comfortable, less cumbersome, and super fast to put on and take off. Their protection is adequate for EUC type falls.  I never wore shin pads.

23 hours ago, Stephen Halford said:

hi all

I was thinking of getting knee/shin guards, I'm learning to use a KS18-L  and finding the side of my legs getting very cut and leg bruising where my leg is resting on the EUC.. I know people say on the videos you get used to it and you won't feel it anymore. the question is if I got some does it make it harder to ride a EUC? 

here is what I'm looking at right now link below

https://www.skatehut.co.uk/brands/fox_racing/fox_launch_pro_shin_guards_knee_pads_black.htm?currency=GBPproductid=132858&gclid=Cj0KCQjw45_bBRD_ARIsAJ6wUXRXETPmBFZ0cjuMAKQj0GnkvqlatoZBT4H9CQrZzOKYbfsBGiTG0EoaAqIXEALw_wcB

For less than $75 for the Fox pro model, you could get the Demon United Hyper X with D3O for $89.99 less a 15% discount. They are vey snug and should be worn against bare skin with shorts or under pants. They also sell a matching set of Hyper X elbow guards (also with D3O). They're very cool-looking so I wear mine only with shorts. Demon also makes/sells the Flexmeter double-sided wristsavers that many of us wear. 

Although I have the Demon HyperX set, I continue to wear my Troy Lee D5450 knee guards (without D3O) every day to/from/while at/ work because they a slim, lightweight, and low profile.

The knee/shin guards have absolutely no affect on my riding, and increase my confidence in walking away from a fall.

Edit 1: fixed broken link. Thanks, Hunka!

Edit2: I forgot to mention that the knee guards (but not the matching elbow guards) are available from Amazon for only $60-65 USD.

The initial pain from your shins, knees, feet and ankles goes away with continued riding. How much, I can't say, it depends. But if you wheel consistently, fight through the pain, it will disappear and become a non-issue. I ride 10 to 15 miles most days, 50 to 60 on a great day, and nothing ever hurts — unless I fall :o.

If you ride only occasionally, pad up, you'll appreciate the buffer between you and your wheel.

Archived