MSuper V3S Shaking at low speeds

Hi all,

I recently sold my MSuper V3S and am posting on behalf of the buyer, who has had some issues only a week after the sale. While I had no issues when I owned it, and we didn't notice any issues while he was test riding it before the sale, he says he's now having issues with shaking and a weird sound at low speeds, simlar to this post: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/6572-msuper-making-some-weird-noises-and-vibrations/

He says it really mostly happens at low speeds and shakes the whole shell.

I'm trying to help him diagnose the issue: he tightened the axle bolts, took the whole thing apart, nothing was loose, put it back together, emptied and refilled the tire.

Any ideas what he might do to fix this?

Thanks!

try to lay the wheel on its side, take a straight edge(hammer handle, etc...) against (very close) the tire and slowly rotate the tire and see if it is true, may be the rim itself or the tire... even though the tire was deflated, sometimes you need to lube the bead so it seats evenly when you inflate it...  Just a thought....

Bummer. I hate those issues when selling a wheel. Does the VS3 push hard like a cog wheel? Does the wheel give the sensation where you can almost feel each individual magnet as it spins (dragging). Slow motion shakes are commonly attributed to one of the 3 hall sensors is either bad or possibly fell off. The only other thing would be the controller. There are methods to test hall sensors without tearing into the motor. In this video they are testing the hall sensors on an Ebike but the principle is the same on EUCs. 5 wires. You do have to pull off the left side panel.  I did a similar task on my old ACM. Good luck.

Be careful going down that road.  If it's a for sale as is where is sale, and the wheel was fine when he inspected it and bought it I think he has to accept whatever he did to it probably caused the issue.  Unless you offered a warranty, it's not your responsibility any more.  He could have crashed it cracking the shell at the pedal support or bent the rim.  Hopefully it's something simple like tightening up the control board screws, but it also could be a damaged shim washer around the axle? 

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Unless you offered a warranty, it's not your responsibility any more.

Your absolutely correct. Unfortunately it’s tough for me to sell any item to a stranger and then have it break down. I even took a video of me riding my old ACM around to prove it was in excellent shape. After the guy fell when the ACM acted erratically we tried to diagnose the problem via numerous PMs. The problem was isolated to a defective control board so I had Jason send him a new one. Each situation is different. 

12 hours ago, codersarepeople said:

Hi all,

I recently sold my MSuper V3S and am posting on behalf of the buyer, who has had some issues only a week after the sale. While I had no issues when I owned it, and we didn't notice any issues while he was test riding it before the sale, he says he's now having issues with shaking and a weird sound at low speeds, simlar to this post: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/6572-msuper-making-some-weird-noises-and-vibrations/

He says it really mostly happens at low speeds and shakes the whole shell.

I'm trying to help him diagnose the issue: he tightened the axle bolts, took the whole thing apart, nothing was loose, put it back together, emptied and refilled the tire.

Any ideas what he might do to fix this?

Thanks!

The first thing I would do is check and tighten the 4 corner screws that hold the control board tight to the shell. If there is any floppiness to the board you will get vibrations (can be bad) in the wheel. This just started to happen on my MSuper V3s+. Out of the blue. It was working perfectly 3-wheels ago. I then took it for a short ride and it was vibrating like crazy. Opened the shell and three of the screws were loose. Tightened them them up and all symptoms went away.

23 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The first thing I would do is check and tighten the 4 corner screws that hold the control board tight to the shell. If there is any floppiness to the board you will get vibrations (can be bad) in the wheel. This just started to happen on my MSuper V3s+. Out of the blue. It was working perfectly 3-wheels ago. I then took it for a short ride and it was vibrating like crazy. Opened the shell and three of the screws were loose. Tightened them them up and all symptoms went away.

I would also think of a loose board when i hear the Symptoms...it is quite important to check the board screws from time to time!

A vibrating Wheel is one Thing.....but when a screw falls off and touch the wrong parts it can/will make a short and send you flying!

On 8/6/2018 at 11:27 AM, Rehab1 said:

Your absolutely correct. Unfortunately it’s tough for me to sell any item to a stranger and then have it break down. I even took a video of me riding my old ACM around to prove it was in excellent shape. After the guy fell when the ACM acted erratically we tried to diagnose the problem via numerous PMs. The problem was isolated to a defective control board so I had Jason send him a new one. Each situation is different. 

Same when I sold one of my wheels on, videos of me riding it - buyer claims 'wheel wobble' easiest solution was to cover the £50 for his bike shop to tighten the axel. 

@codersarepeople, please provide us feedback. When we help with solutions it's nice to know whether we actually helped and/or what the final solution was. So we all get to learn something.

Archived