Braking and other questions:

Hey guys completely new to the Gotway scene, got my msx two days ago. 

1. on the Ios app, ive adjusted some settings for example the ride mode but it seems like it gets reset whenever i cancel the app in the background and relaunch it 

2. When can I be expecting the wheel to slow me down due to remaining battery percentages? I dont want to exceed a certain speed at risk of cut out

3. I cant seem to brake as fast as my KS16, any ideas? I tried the calibration but it seems to do nothing.

Thank you riders!

if you ride in sports mode the breaking is really fast it is on mine anyway ? in the other modes i bend my knees and dig in if i need to stop quick other wise i don't go fast lol 

1. Yep, that's the GW iOS app since forever, it resets settings whenever you relaunch it. Use the Android one, or use it once to configure and never touch it again (Darknessbot is a great iOS third party alternative for day-to-day use).
  2. Whenever you are at 15% battery (3.35V battery voltage, 67V wheel voltage, some apps may show the wrong voltage because GW 84V wheels report the wrong voltage) the battery beeps start. That may be around 25% under no load. Not sure if it slows you down if you ignore the beeps, but at the very end of the battery capacity, you get a tiltback. Just don't ignore the battery beeps and everything's good.
  3. Well, it's an 18 incher. Use the hardest ride mode, and brake harder:efee47c9c8:

Unfortunately, you've discovered that wheels do not brake so much as "accelerate in the opposite direction of travel." There is no "push the brake pads against the spinning wheel."

Therefore, being dumped on your ass is a real possibility when batteries are low, pedals are soft, and speeds are high. Fortunately, getting dumped from leaning back is about the best and most gentle way of crashing; it feels exactly like hitting a mud patch.

While it feels that bigger wheel slow down much worse than smaller wheels, empirical testing show that it's virtually the same.

I believe the apparently poor acceleration of bigger wheel is entirely software related; by making the pedals super sensitive and super hard and much longer, a bigger size wheel should be able to accelerate exactly the same as a 14 incher. Instead, with bigger wheels we are forced to clamp them hard between our knees then drag the nose of the wheel up or down in order to equal the performance of 14 inchers.

Please note the you can hit the pedalsvon the ground of a 14 incher by clamping, and by doing so you can demonstrate 14 inchers don't have better acceleration than 18 inchers; the 14 inchers are just more sensitive to user input.

On 8/5/2018 at 6:05 PM, Jack Frost said:

1. on the Ios app, ive adjusted some settings for example the ride mode but it seems like it gets reset whenever i cancel the app in the background and relaunch it

I have to test more, but I think if you launch the app while riding, the settings remain. Atleast the riding mode. Sometimes it is obvious that the app just doesn’t know the current setting and shows a different mode that is currently on. Yes, the app is a mess.

On 8/5/2018 at 6:05 PM, Jack Frost said:

3. I cant seem to brake as fast as my KS16, any ideas? I tried the calibration but it seems to do nothing.

The calibration works just like it does on the 16S. If it did nothing, you failed to follow the required steps.

Braking (and accelerating) on the MSX requires a lot more physical activity than on the 16S. I have the same wheels. I installed risers under the sidepads I made, so that during hard braking or accelerating my leg leans onto them, effectively doing the same as squeezing the wheel but with a lot better control since I don’t have to squeeze.

When my feet hit the risers and I need even faster braking, I sit down like I was sitting into a chair. It helps also.

One thing that seems to fool me is that since the MSX is so stable at any speed, my actual speeds are much higher than I would think. It also makes the braking feel so slow.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:05 PM, Jack Frost said:

When can I be expecting the wheel to slow me down due to remaining battery percentages? I dont want to exceed a certain speed at risk of cut out

your speed will be reduced at 20% you'll notice anyway because it tilts you back you still have a decent speed though 

2 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

why are we going off topic now? :/ anyways i put on ACM padding and it works great.

show us then we love pics 

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I do now:

76DDC8D7-991B-4110-80A2-44EA9D6E5AB3.thumb.jpeg.a91c69ae58790c82eb3f34472863241f.jpeg 9FEF344A-2298-44F2-915C-2FA1D3878608.jpeg.ba6061e2bf6a4d6a97b5db53e7808d53.jpeg

they look nice and comfatable I've just bought some foam I'll update when i get it ?

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 5:05 PM, Jack Frost said:

Hey guys completely new to the Gotway scene, got my msx two days ago. 

2. When can I be expecting the wheel to slow me down due to remaining battery percentages? I dont want to exceed a certain speed at risk of cut out

Thank you riders!

when you close the app and opdn it again it does keep the settings, even though the app looks like its returning them to default,

Try soft mode, it makes braking easier, and also gives you more range. 

to calibrate you need to turn on calibration, then the wheel beeps, its not calibrating yet, this is when you can set it the angle you want, then you press the power button, and the wheel turns off, keep ot in the position tou want it calibrated, then turn it on, then keep it still in the position you want and it will make a few fast beeps, then the long beep indicates its done, then turn off and on and done!

Archived