Replacement Battery Ninebot PTR Elite +

Been using three  Ninebot PTR Elite + 's for over two years on a daily basis.  Great devices  and  have been very reliable..  One of my PTRs is starting  to overcharge on one side of the battery pack, so I assume  I will be doing a battery pack replacement in the coming future.  Has Anyone found a reliable China source for replacement packs?  Anyone try the Russian  pack rebuilders or  locate  reliable  rebuilder in the US?  I am concerned that local US sources are selling packs that have been setting in stock rooms or warehouses for years.

I have not tried it, but the Russian pack on ebay looks pretty good.  i messaged him, and they are using good cells.  I'd go with the 630/660Wh pack they have.  i don't need a pack, but thinking about getting a backup/second one.  I don't know if there could be any potential problem with the BMS like for the minipro or not.

I don't use the Elite very much, i think i'm still under 100km.  I prefer the handling of the MiniPro and for range and speed i've been using the e-bike.  i do lik the slightly faster speed of the Elite over the minipro, but the noise and the handling counter that for me.  I like that I can control all the setting without a cell phone app.  I've never connected the Ninebot app to the Elite and probably never will.  

Still waiting to get more time on it to do a mini review.

• 2 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 3:44 PM, FreeRide said:

I have not tried it, but the Russian pack on ebay looks pretty good.  i messaged him, and they are using good cells.  I'd go with the 630/660Wh pack they have.  i don't need a pack, but thinking about getting a backup/second one.  I don't know if there could be any potential problem with the BMS like for the minipro or not.

I don't use the Elite very much, i think i'm still under 100km.  I prefer the handling of the MiniPro and for range and speed i've been using the e-bike.  i do lik the slightly faster speed of the Elite over the minipro, but the noise and the handling counter that for me.  I like that I can control all the setting without a cell phone app.  I've never connected the Ninebot app to the Elite and probably never will.  

Still waiting to get more time on it to do a mini review.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Finally ended up doing a pack rebuild.  Found the exact OEM 18650 LG Cells out of Korea for $230USD for the 60 cells.  Pure nickel stripping cost another $30, but was able to reuse the original 15S2P BMS's which both reset nicely. I already had the spot welder. The cells were from a 2016 mfg batch, but new and equally charged. Working like a new pack - of course it almost is new!  

I am anxious to try out the new NINEBattery app. Will reveal any potential problems with my other battery packs.

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2018 at 2:18 PM, NinebotPTRELITE+ said:

Thanks for your thoughts.  Finally ended up doing a pack rebuild.  Found the exact OEM 18650 LG Cells out of Korea for $230USD for the 60 cells.  Pure nickel stripping cost another $30, but was able to reuse the original 15S2P BMS's which both reset nicely. I already had the spot welder. The cells were from a 2016 mfg batch, but new and equally charged. Working like a new pack - of course it almost is new!  

I am anxious to try out the new NINEBattery app. Will reveal any potential problems with my other battery packs.

Sounds great!  The pack on eBay I liked is no longer listed, they were using nicer HG2 cells.  Based on the cost your rebuild sounds like the way to go. 

Did you have to do anything special to reset the BMS, or you just connected it to the new pack, and everything was great?

One BMS moved over to the new cells without a hitch.  The second kept reporting 14.40 Volts which was the remaining voltage in the old cells before I recharged blocks of 6 cells (3S2P) using an automotive trickle charger (12V, 2A).   I did keep all the cells that came back to 4.2 V and trashed the ones that would not recover. A couple did swell, but no fire or explosions!

Despite being  disconnected from cells and wired to all new cells, the second BMS reported the same 14.40V.   It finally reset after unplugging the main connector on the board and replugging.  Why that would be any different than having all the leads unsoldered I do not know, but came back reporting 62.6V which was what I had hoped for?

The russian on eBay does have the correct BMS units for the elite at $75 plus shipping.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NinebotPTRELITE+ said:

The second kept reporting 14.40 Volts which was the remaining voltage in the old cells before I recharged blocks of 6 cells (3S2P) using an automotive trickle charger (12V, 2A).   I did keep all the cells that came back to 4.2 V and trashed the ones that would not recover. A couple did swell, but no fire or explosions!

You had good luck! So just as a warning to all reading this - don't try this at home! There's a high risk of a fire hazard!

Automotive chargers have a too high max voltage (14.6V i've found for one on google). For 3 cells in series 12.6V is the absolute maximum.

"Known dead" dead cells are not to be charged anymore - there is (normally) nothing like reviving a li ion cell. That's mostly just the risk of a fire hazard - especially if one tries to charge some of them in series!

(Just wanted to be sure noone comes by reading this as tutorial on how to revive his li ion pack in a flat and sets the whole house on fire...)

• Upvote 1

I whole heartedly agree.  Cells that have dropped below 2V SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED.  I failed to mention that in my post.   Over half of the left side pack had cells below 2.0 Volt which went to the recycler (Batteries Plus).   The trickle charger I was using had a 12.5 V Output, but I monitored the charging process of each group of 6 cells every 15 minutes until they reached 11.5V.

This was all done on a LARGE concrete driveway, far away from people, equipment and HOME!  You can never take too many precautions when working with lithium cells!

Once all cells were equally charged +/- .05v,  ( My spot welder has a built-in charger, so I was able to get equal charges on all the cells) .I assembled the pack and connected the used  BMS.  Once I got it to rest, the Ninebot charger recognized the 30 cell pack and brought the pack up to 62.6V.    In daily use, I only have to charge the pack once a week..

If you are thinking about working on lithium cells, read, read, and read again ALL precautions.  THEN GO BACK and read some of the horror stories!  They are true, and CAN happen to YOU!!

Not trying to scare anyone,  but only undertake such efforts after significant research..  Brain surgeons do not just start cutting!!  I read everything I could find, watched every video out there, talked with local recyclers and those that had experienced a rebuild project.  LEARN from other people's mistakes so you do not have to experience the same misfortune.

THANKS CHRIULL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2018 at 7:18 PM, NinebotPTRELITE+ said:

Mind if I ask what the NINEBattery app is? I googled but drew a blank. I'm actually after something to check out the status of my E+ battery, which I'm slightly concerned about.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

The NINEBattery App link can easily be found by searching this forum.  Just type in NINEBattery into search at top right of banner page.  Then check the threads.

I would love to hear if you are successful in getting the Bluetooth on the android to connect to the PTR Elite Bluetooth..  Minis have connected, but I have not heard of anyone that got the app to connect to the PTR Elite.

• 5 months later...

Are you talking about the NINEBattery app or the Ninebot App.  We have no problem connecting with Bluetooth to the Ninebot App.

If you did get a connection to the NINEBattery Apps.  Were you able to view the voltage on all 60 cells in the battery pack?  What cell phone did you use?  Thanks for any info.

ninebattery app not connecting despite trying everything listed on here and using several different android phones with different os

18 hours ago, NinebotPTRELITE+ said:

Are you talking about the NINEBattery app or the Ninebot App.  We have no problem connecting with Bluetooth to the Ninebot App.

If you did get a connection to the NINEBattery Apps.  Were you able to view the voltage on all 60 cells in the battery pack?  What cell phone did you use?  Thanks for any info.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 10:11 AM, Steve Peck said:

Hi! Does anyone rebuild these? I bought a balanced and refreshed one from the Russian guy but the battery was no good. I hate the idea of paying $600 for another 450 size one

Sorry, the ebayer from Russia was the only one I have heard of except for some individuals doing their own.  Sorry to hear your bad experience with the one from Russia.  Since the PTRs are no longer being marketed in the US, I suspect the few being sold as new have batteries almost past their useful life.   I am in my fourth year and have rebuilt one of three.  Expecting failures soon. Lithium cells only last so long :(     Please post if you find someone willing to rebuild.