Jump to content

Discharging too fast?


ricqvo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I have another problems with my new 18L :(

I have ridden 160km with my 18L, but last 60km was strange... The wheel is discharging wayyy fast... I am 76kg, my average speed around 30kmph and the battery discharges like 1km=5%... I dont know why... The temperatures in the app are about 60-70°C....

 

The second problem is a strange sound like a fan crossing some cable or idk... It happens only when I do a sharp turn or when I lay down the wheel... When I do a restart, the sound is out and in a sharp turn it is vack again.... Sounds like a piece of somethin gets stuck to the fan or idk... It is hearable very well and it is kinda scary... First time it happened was while trolleying for about 3km... Than I turned it off anf on and than I relised it happens while doing a sharp turn...It keeps running even while the wheel is not moving...so it has to be something else than a stucked stick or something....

 

Another problem is that the app shows totally different battery % when riding slow speed or high speed... When riding slow speeds it says 45% for example and when I raise the speed to more than 30kmph, the battery is at 30% and when riding over 35kmph the battery % says 15%.... Than I slow down and it is back on 40% again.... I dont know what is that, but it keeps me pushing back and waring when I ride high speeds and dont have 45%, instead it shows 15%.... I dont know what it is, but it does not let me ride high speeds ..

 

Thank you very much guys...have a great weekend...

Edited by ricqvo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds serious. Either something's wrong with the battery pack (maybe one of them got disconnected?) or you have some kind of blockage - maybe the ball bearings in the motor? Does the tire turn with normal resistance when the wheel is off?

The fan thing, just look which cable could fall into the fan blades when the wheel is tilted.

Different percentages are common between no-load and load, but it should more be like 10-15% difference, not 30%! Maybe this is related to the first problem and something's wrong with the battery. [Or if you're lucky just one of the packs is not connected. Be careful reconnecting if that's the case, they need to have the same voltage/charge state or you might get a serious problem *boom* *fire*.]

I'd open the wheel and have a look at the battery connections and the fan. Or better, if you don't feel like it with such a new wheel (that would be very justified!), ask your dealer to take care of everything. He was supposed to get you a 100% good wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sounds serious. Either something's wrong with the battery pack (maybe one of them got disconnected?) or you have some kind of blockage - maybe the ball bearings in the motor? Does the tire turn with normal resistance when the wheel is off?

The fan thing, just look which cable could fall into the fan blades when the wheel is tilted.

Different percentages are common between no-load and load, but it should more be like 10-15% difference, not 30%! Maybe this is related to the first problem and something's wrong with the battery. [Or if you're lucky just one of the packs is not connected. Be careful reconnecting if that's the case, they need to have the same voltage/charge state or you might get a serious problem *boom* *fire*.]

I'd open the wheel and have a look at the battery connections and the fan. Or better, if you don't feel like it with such a new wheel (that would be very justified!), ask your dealer to take care of everything. He was supposed to get you a 100% good wheel.

Hello! Thank for your reply! What should be "normal resistance" ? The wheel is falling like it is a simple wheel without anything... No resistance at all...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

The wheel is falling like it is a simple wheel without anything... No resistance at all...

When it is turned off, that is what should happen; no gyroscope action. I think that @meepmeepmayer was inquiring about rolling resistance in the wheel when the machine is powered off. My KS18AY blew a control board (I was one of the very few unlucky owners to have this happen).

When I attempted to roll the wheel with the machine off, it would not move at all without a great deal of pushing force. I believe the wheel resistance test is the best way to diagnose a blown control board without opening the wheel. @Jason McNeil sent me another control board. I popped it in and have had no further problems from the wheel.

On the battery issue, it does sound to me like your battery readings are all over the place. I suggest talking to your dealer they may be able to suggest a simple fix, like connecting a certain wire or soldering points.

I have had to repair soldering points on my previous ks18. In my case, it was the charging wire. When I attempted to charge my wheel the brick would glow green even though the wheel was very low in power. I opened the wheel, visually inspected, and spotted the culprit wire disconnected from the battery at the soldering point. I resoldered the wire onto the battery, and then wrapped the battery in tape to ensure that it held; no further issues. 

My suggestion is to at least do a visual inspection to see if you see something that is obviously out of place. You might see something simply because the Ks18L wiring is routed so neatly that anything out place might more noticeable. If you don't see anything on your visual, or see something and feel uncomfortable send it to your dealer to diagnose and fix, or replace. 

I will usually do a visual and try a fix, if it is simple; most fixes on the wheel are actually simple if you know what is wrong.

because while I am glad to have dealer support, I don't like to be without my wheel and at the mercy of someone elses turnaround time.

Also, I was once getting a bit of what sounded to be a fan prattle on my previous ks18. It occurred when I applied more pressure on one pedal for sharper turns. I opened the wheel and found the axle bolts had worked loose. I re-torqued them and the problem went away. I would check them and re-torque them if loose @joku just informed me that blue locktite is good to use on screws that may need occasional loosening and retightning; so you can tighten the screws and they will not loosen on their own.

It is a new wheel so it is understandable if you don't want to tinker with it.

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

When it is turned off, that is what should happen; no gyroscope action. I think that @meepmeepmayer was inquiring about rolling resistance in the wheel when the machine is powered off. My KS18AY blew a control board (I was one of the very few unlucky owners to have this happen).

When I attempted to roll the wheel with the machine off, it would not move at all without a great deal of pushing force. I believe the wheel resistance test is the best way to diagnose a blown control board without opening the wheel. @Jason McNeil sent me another control board. I popped it in and have had no further problems from the wheel.

On the battery issue, it does sound to me like your battery readings are all over the place. I suggest talking to your dealer they may be able to suggest a simple fix, like connecting a certain wire or soldering points.

I have had to repair soldering points on my previous ks18. In my case, it was the charging wire. When I attempted to charge my wheel the brick would glow green even though the wheel was very low in power. I opened the wheel, visually inspected, and spotted the culprit wire disconnected from the battery at the soldering point. I resoldered the wire onto the battery, and then wrapped the battery in tape to ensure that it held; no further issues. 

My suggestion is to at least do a visual inspection to see if you see something that is obviously out of place. You might see something simply because the Ks18L wiring is routed so neatly that anything out place might more noticeable. If you don't see anything on your visual, or see something and feel uncomfortable send it to your dealer to diagnose and fix, or replace. 

I will usually do a visual and try a fix, if it is simple; most fixes on the wheel are actually simple if you know what is wrong.

because while I am glad to have dealer support, I don't like to be without my wheel and at the mercy of someone elses turnaround time.

Also, I was once getting a bit of what sounded to be a fan prattle on my previous ks18. It occurred when I applied more pressure on one pedal for sharper turns. I opened the wheel and found the axle bolts had worked loose. I re-torqued them and the problem went away. I would check them and re-torque them if loose @joku just informed me that blue locktite is good to use on screws that may need occasional loosening and retightning; so you can tighten the screws and they will not loosen on their own.

It is a new wheel so it is understandable if you don't want to tinker with it.

Thanks for your reply very much!
I think there is something bad in motor maybe... It does not sound like motor is spinning when the wheel is off and I try to move with it... There is no resistance of motor or anything else... It is like a wheel without anything, just falling down the hill....
And I think I will tinker with it... I ordered it from china dealer and I am from central europe...and it would take a long time to deliver to china and back.... :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea you can open it because if you bought from Ali, you probably won't send it back. You can also post some photos if you like.

Still contact your seller and ask what might be the problem! They'll usually send you out the parts that are broken - board (doesn't seem to be the problem here), motor, etc.

By resistance I meant if the tire turns "normally" when the wheel is off and you lie it on the side. But if you have no other wheel to compare to... hard to say. I just thought maybe you hear some scratching or so if there is a mechanical problem, which might cause more battery usage. But more likely this might be a battery problem.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yea you can open it because if you bought from Ali, you probably won't send it back. You can also post some photos if you like.

Still contact your seller and ask what might be the problem! They'll usually send you out the parts that are broken - board (doesn't seem to be the problem here), motor, etc.

By resistance I meant if the tire turns "normally" when the wheel is off and you lie it on the side. But if you have no other wheel to compare to... hard to say. I just thought maybe you hear some scratching or so if there is a mechanical problem, which might cause more battery usage. But more likely this might be a battery problem.

Tomorrow I will open the wheel and check it out.... Thanks for your reply, tomorrow I will write you what I have found in the wheel...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just be careful, if a battery is disconnected, don't just reconnect it. Get a voltmeter and make sure all batteries are at the same voltage before connecting them. Not sure what happens otherwise...

Hoping you find something!

Did you buy from Green and Fashion (Ali seller)? They usually have good service.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ricqvo said:

Tomorrow I will open the wheel and check it out.... Thanks for your reply, tomorrow I will write you what I have found in the wheel...

I second what@meepmeepmayer is saying about posting photos along with a description of your findings. Lots of knowledgeable tech savvy dudes ride these wheels. In my experience they always seem happy to share valuable insights and offer helpful suggestions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, I opened the wheel, found nothing special... Everything looked okay and well constructed...

My problem is that I am not sure batteries are ok... I will do several range tests this week and we will see...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...