Low profile helmet recommendation

Hi,

I watched this video and now I'd like to buy a helmet :)

I ride with moderate speed, so I guess I don't need a full face. I just need a helmet that can save from brain injury in a case of unlikely accident.

It can be one-time use as a bike helmet.

I'd appreciate any recommendations that would look reasonably cool and not bulky

11 hours ago, maxkan said:

Hi,

I watched this video and now I'd like to buy a helmet :)

I ride with moderate speed, so I guess I don't need a full face. I just need a helmet that can save from brain injury in a case of unlikely accident.

It can be one-time use as a bike helmet.

I'd appreciate any recommendations that would look reasonably cool and not bulky

I've just ordered this 

https://bearandbear.com/product/thousand-poplock-bicycle-helmet/

Screenshot_2018-08-04-16-01-16.png

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, stephen said:

I like the look of thousands but not sure if it’s fullt certified. 

When looking for half shell helmets I found this useful:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/ElectricSkateboarding/comments/8hjxgl/guide_to_certified_helmets_helmetsorg/

Depends on what certification you are looking at. Skate certification looks at impacts from multiple angles (but not front!), downhill looks at front and crown, and bicycle just looks at crown.

Unfortunately most if not all studies on bicycle helmet use show insignificant injury and fatality rates between bicycle helmet users versus non users. In contrast, DOT helmet use is highly correlated with survival, as are  true skateboard helmets.

My takeaway of reading several of these studies is that you are better off riding in areas with no cars with no helmet that places with cars with helmet. Wearing a helmet has cars passing you closer due to risk compensation.

To simplify, wear a DOT certified or a skateboard certified helmet. I believe bike helmets are just fine if they meet these conditions.

--Covers the temple.

--Near the brow.

--Extends significantly below the brain stem.

--Over the jaw joint.

Very few bicycle helmets meet these requirements; ergo, avoid such helmets.

for full protection I'd wear a full face i know it's safer but then again i didn't wear a full face on my mountain bikes  i don't wear any at the moment so thought I'd at least cover my head with somthing  , i don't do speed but also don't want to go overboard with protection either .. where do you stop accidents will happen I've covered my head , elbows,wrists,knees and shoulders ,,

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of Bern "zip-mold" helmets with their soft visor liners. They are a bit more sunken in than other certified helmets and there is no visible seam between the outershell and the hard foam.

On 8/5/2018 at 5:29 PM, stephen said:

for full protection I'd wear a full face i know it's safer but then again i didn't wear a full face on my mountain bikes  i don't wear any at the moment so thought I'd at least cover my head with somthing  , i don't do speed but also don't want to go overboard with protection either .. where do you stop accidents will happen I've covered my head , elbows,wrists,knees and shoulders ,,

You can faceplant so hard on these things. If you plan on going > 18 mph I would get chin protection.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Searched at your request and asked several of his friends. I was asked to consider these options. I myself ride without a helmet and I will also buy it myself, because I often travel on the road. Maybe I have no fear, but also there is no immortality, so you need to think about security.