Quick charger: how do you use it?

maxkan

How about reading the manual of your quick charger? Who do you think should know about the 1-2-3 modes if you don't mention manufacturer and model of your battery charger...?

BTW: Charge Doctor V3 with double input for Inmotion V8-10(F) wheels with GX12-3 connectors is available (even though it does not say so on the "Buy" page because the gadget gets sold to resellers first!). I got one last week and with parameter 2 (define cut off voltage) it is possible to fine tune it to whatever battery capacity you like. Wonderful gadget: I connected my rapid charger (3,8A) together with my standard charger (1,5A) and can charge with 5,3A. :thumbup:

14 hours ago, Gunthor said:

How about reading the manual of your quick charger? Who do you think should know about the 1-2-3 modes if you don't mention manufacturer and model of your battery charger...?

BTW: Charge Doctor V3 with double input for Inmotion V8-10(F) wheels with GX12-3 connectors is available (even though it does not say so on the "Buy" page because the gadget gets sold to resellers first!). I got one last week and with parameter 2 (define cut off voltage) it is possible to fine tune it to whatever battery capacity you like. Wonderful gadget: I connected my rapid charger (3,8A) together with my standard charger (1,5A) and can charge with 5,3A. :thumbup:

Your link point to V2. Is there a V3 for real? Thx

2 hours ago, Chriull said:
7 hours ago, maxkan said:

It came from ewheels with no manual

Iirc 1-2-3 was current selection from what i read here some time ago? But could also be something different. Here should be enough ewheels fastcharger users to help out?

There is an illustration on the product page outlining all the features, not sure how valuable a manual would beyond what's on the page. 
https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-glide-3-v8-gen-v-3a-58-4v-charger/

Variable Current: on the side of the charger is an Current selector, where you can choose the output Amps ranging from 1-3. Inmotion V8 battery packs has a 480Wh battery pack, containing 40 battery cells, configured as 20s2p, or 20 cells in series & 2 parallel. Each parallel circuit absorbs a portion of the charger’s input current; so in this case, the input current per cell is 3A/2 parallels = 1.5A.

IMPORTANT!: DO NOT USE this charger on other Electric Unicycles, which have the same connectors, if the charge rate is too high for a particular pack, it may severely degrade the longevity of the pack.

Comparison of the Gen III & Gen IV Electric Unicycle Fast-chargers

Still not clear for someone like me who missed physics lessons regarding current and li-ion batteries. Thats a consumer product ... What is the recommended current setting? 1,2 or 3? What are some pros and cons? When should I switch other regulator to 80%?

Hi @maxkan, as a rapid charger should be used as a rapid charger I would set the current setting to 3A and the second dial to 90%. Then at least once a month load up to 100% (or when you intend to do a longer route).

BTW: GX12-3 connectors can handle 5A (but this is conservative). Nevertheless going above 5A may put your warranty into jeopardy!

@Fastmike, when the Charge Doctor boots up it displays V3. As mentioned it is not on the page because the gadget gets sold to resellers first! However, on the V2 page you read “PR2”, … “PRn” : future extension. And this is one thing Charge Doctor V3 offers. With Parameter 2 you can switch Auto shutdown from A to V. This is wonderful because first I played around with Ampere settings but I could only get 84% and then 100% battery charge. Using Volt as Auto Shutdown it is possible to fine tune and hit 90% battery charge. :)

Archived