Establishing Proper Tire Pressure for the Z10

Marty Backe

21 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:popcorn:  I wonder if it's a good idea to Locktite or Superglue those one inch extensions together just in case a segment comes loose.

Hasn't been a problem. I tightened them nice and good and you can see that I barely apply any pressure when attaching to the tube.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ziiten said:

What are the specs on the tire. Just wondering if it could be replaced by a readily available motorcycle or scooter tire. Maybe they would also be of better quality rubber.

It may be custom made for Ninebot - Ninebot is printed on the sidewall. It's labeled as 18x4.1

2 hours ago, Ziiten said:

A proprietary tire. Where do you get spares. Or any parts for the wheel. Like lets say the battery fails, where do you get a new one. Or could you just use some generic lipos for replacement.

I will get parts and such from my dealer, EWheels.

Batteries rarely fail, and tires last for thousands of miles.

Edited by Marty Backe

I have been testing various tire pressures today - I have started from 35,  then 30, then 25, finally 20 psi.  My fully equipped weight is around 87 kg.  

Last few days I had been riding at 30 psi, and in my case Z10 was dramatically unstable on uneven sidewalks, especially on rides across the slopes. Rising the pressure to 35 psi improved the stability, but made the bumps much more noticeable - (obvious reason-higher pressure) going down to 25 psi made the ride much nicer and stability came back !  I have tried also 20 psi, but in my case I think that it is loo low - I do not want to destroy the rim on bigger bumps, so I came back to 25psi and this seems to be very good pressure in my case.

See below example of the surface on which Z10 is moving to the sides a lot. 

P1150069_resize.JPG

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Turbocharged said:

I still prefer low to mid 20s, weight 82kg

I would like to go that low but.... next piece of Z10 tire if I destroy mine is 10 000 km away.  BTW do You know if it is possible to buy the tire and how much it cost? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lukasz said:

I would like to go that low but.... next piece of Z10 tire if I destroy mine is 10 000 km away.  BTW do You know if it is possible to buy the tire and how much it cost? 

No, I don't know, it's gonna be a real pain to replace tire yourself.

4 hours ago, Turbocharged said:

it's gonna be a real pain to replace tire yourself.

Due to the tubeless construction - probably not possible to replace without compressor with big airflow - I think that place where motor bikes/scooters are serviced should offer some help. however first - please try to get some information about availability / price of the tire Those tires are made by CST but as custom product for Ninebot.   

18 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

Due to the tubeless construction - probably not possible to replace without compressor with big airflow - I think that place where motor bikes/scooters are serviced should offer some help. however first - please try to get some information about availability / price of the tire Those tires are made by CST but as custom product for Ninebot.   

Do you think a scooter or mc tire would fit.

12 hours ago, Ziiten said:

Do you think a scooter or mc tire would fit.

I do not think so, (but I did not make thorough search).  Ninebot logo is embossed on the tire, and it is manufactured by CST specially for Ninebot.  My KS16S regular 2.125" tire survived 5500 km, which I have made in around 14 months, and it can survive maybe 1000 km more.   This Z10 tire is much wider - unless You have bad luck and cut it - it shall last 6-10kkm  (which for many users is more than they will EVER ride on the unicycle. I am one from the small group of power users who will probably test it to the limit, but who knows what new wheels will be released in 1-2 years?   Honestly I am waiting for flying one (see Franki Zapata), but this will never get public due to safety reasons.  

All depends on how hard or soft is rubber. Mine original Ninebot One S2 tire was dead after 1600km. Almost no thread remained. Somehow I do not believe Z10 tire will last for 6000km. But we will see.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I made about 1600km and the tire show breaks inside the channels. I saw it in another users images, and even i sae a user image with the tire inflate like a cancer in this exact area. I tried some motorbike tires but no succes. The original is 110/50R13 but this size does not exist, so i tried 110/70/R13 and does not fit because it scratch in the upper side of the cover,even with low pressure. I tried too a 120/60R13, because with measurements in hand it can fits, but in fact it does not fit too, when the tire is adjusted to the rims then the diameter increases in about half an inch, so the result is that is very, very near to the cover, even talking in the upper side, but when you put a bit of air inside then the tire is locked with the cover. I losted a lot of time and money ordering tires and trying and finally i had to purchase the original one, even i do not like it, and even it is a very expensive and not justified price for this tire. If you can find a standard tire that can fit in this machine, please make me to now. And forget another images showing a 130/60R13 mounted in the machine, maybe the user mounted the wheel, but be sure he will not ever ride with this wheel. 120width left 5mm in each side between side cover and the tire, 130 sure not fit, and about the diameter the 120/60 is about 465mm unmounted, that only left less than 1cm between tire and cover, so it is not suitable. Maybe you can use tacks tire and cut the tacks, but i think it is not a good solution. Maybe you can polish all the draw in a 120/60 until it does not scratch, but this is a lot of work if you want to keep the tire exactly round, maybe with a machine rounding and a paper sand? because in the ninebot you can not do anything, only less than 1mm of plastic and an alluminium profile on this, so cut the plastics is not an option, and as the battery is inside the tire, you cannot up the covers like in the inmotion v8f, so you do not have any other option than mount original. About 80usd in aliexpress.

Ah! if you want to try be carefull with the radius, this is R13, very strange size for a machine, if you have an inmotion V8 (as an example) the radius is R14, even outer size is 16inches, very normal in the market, but this ninebot is R13 with outer size 18"... something strange.

• Like 1

My Z10 is still new, but I know one day I might need to replace the tire if it lasts that long. I wonder if the Ninebot One Z10 was built with a lifespan planned to last as long as the tire. I don't think the tire has very good traction in the rain or in the mud. If my Z10 lasts long enough to need a new tire, then I think that I will try to replace the entire hub/motor/tire assembly all at once because it will save the hassle of dismounting and remounting and proper seating the tire and provide me with a new motor. I wonder about adding studs to my tire sometimes.

I keep my pressure at 40psi and I really appreciated this tutorial from Marty about how to add the slime. I got a flat on my 3rd day without slime. The one thing I would add as a huge ***warning*** for Z10 riders is to be careful not to break the valve stem off with those metal extenders. Use the provided rubber extender because it was made for the tire. Otherwise, with the metal extenders the valve can pop out really easy and cause more work and trauma.

Edited by earthtwin
more to add

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Earthwind, if you are thinking to replace the entire set, maybe you can think to change your machine, because this is segway, not inmotion or any other brand, and the battery is inside the wheel, not upper the wheel, so you have the inside of the wheel displaced at a side and one pedal larger than other, it is a strange machine, so to change full set i think will be more difficult than to sell it as second hand and purchase another brand. Enjoy all that you can this machine, you will not find any other like this ,but when you will be tired and need more or a change, then change the full machine, with Z10 you cannot do anything far than designed. I found the tire in aliexpress, there are lot of sellers, but do not expect to find spares for replacements, there are only few sellers and spares are as expensives as a new machine. The only mods you can do in this machine are on the software, with ninetool apk and paying for it. If you need to replace electronic boards you will need it, and a recommendation is to see every six months the capacitors, because they explode with overpressure and when this occurs the two boards will be broken. If you see any sign of overpressure change it without dilation, it are very cheap compared with a board replacement. Hope it can help.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your experience. I fully enjoy my Ninebot One Z10. And I am used to it. I haven't tried suspension wheels, but I'm sure if I had a King Song S22 pro or a Sherman S that I would fully enjoy one of those as well, but the price is so high I would have to sell my truck, and I need to keep my truck.

If my Z10 should fail, I will buy another Ninebot One Z10 on Amazon for $1400 dollars because it comes with the Amazon guarantee. Then if my new one should fail then I will have my first Z10 to mine for replacement parts. I never grow tired of my Z10 because it's so fun to ride. I have a blast on it, every time. Hopefully I wouldn't have to buy 3 Ninebot One Z10's, lol. EUC'ing can be such an expensive hobby.

Of course, if I win the lottery or get a really large inheritance, then I will for sure buy the S22 Pro in addition to a recreational vehicle.

I think I'll be safer by sticking with the same wheel, too, Because I know how a Z10 is supposed to perform. And I have experience with this Ninebot One Z10 so I don't need to go through a learning curve on a new different wheel, possible breaking the new wheel, or breaking myself.

Segway is a great company, they have amazing products. I just wish they would treat their dealers and their employees better, like King Song does.

Edited by earthtwin
more and a typo