Ninebot Z10 - power supply Charge Doctor mod

Lukasz

19 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

had seen some news that Ninebot may release fast 4A charger, so probably Z10 can be charged with two chargers with no issues, but this is unconfirmed information. Please do not blame me in case of any issues, lost warranty, fire, earthquake and similar events.

As the Z10 is a 14s6Parallel configuration with a 2 chargers each 2 Amps (4Amps) you would have a amperage of 0,66 per one package….That should be no Problem at all....

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, US69 said:

2 chargers each 2 Amps (4Amps) you would have a amperage of 0,66 per one package…

Yes, i think that this is safe solution. I have to modify second power supply for dual charger version. For now it looks like that the good cut-cut off voltage is 58.1VDC more or less from 58.2 current starts to drop, and it takes awfully long to charge to maximum, which is only something like 60-80wh,  I had no time last night to check until power supply change the led to green. (finish charging)  current dropped to something like 0.3 A but led was still RED.

18 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

Do you think something like this would be compatible with the Z10 battery: https://lunacycle.com/luna-charger-60v-450w-5-amp-ebike-charger/

That would be more that double the capacity at 5A. 

Nope! Much to high voltage! It is a charger for 16s Systems! -67,2 Volt

The Z10 is a 14S System......58,8Volt

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, US69 said:

Nope! Much to high voltage! It is a charger for 16s Systems! -67,2 Volt

Those are sold for 60 V batteries, 58,8V is practically the same thing.

1 hour ago, Ziiten said:

Do you think something like this would be compatible with the Z10 battery:

I would NEVER risk connecting any other power supply voltage to my device!  Do not attempt this. 

The only acceptable solution in my opinion is to use 2 pcs of the ORYGINAL NINEBOT chargers, or 4A oryginal Ninebot fast charger if it is going to be released.

Never fiddle with Li-Ion batteries!    (the same as You do not make mods on your car gas tank)

Edited by Lukasz
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ziiten said:

Search the video thread for the recently posted video of a scooter bursting into flames. If you want a front row seat of a similar event then go ahead and buy practically the same charger. Or heed the advice here and do not deviate from specification. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ziiten said:

That 60 Volt they are talking About is the nominal voltage ...means 3,7Volt times 16 = 59,2(60Volt)....in the text the "16s" is even mentioned.

Also when you look at the photo of the charger on it's specification it says Output 67,2 Volt,

Nominal Voltage for the Z10 is 51,8V(52Volt)...maximal Voltage 58,8 Volt. THAT neads to be the Output of a Z10 Charger

You can search for fast chargers for 14S System....i am Pretty sure there are some available. It is just that THIS charger is not the Right one…...

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, US69 said:

That 60 Volt they are talking About is the nominal voltage ...means 3,7Volt times 16 = 59,2(60Volt)....in the text the "16s" is even mentioned.

Also when you look at the photo of the charger on it's specification it says Output 67,2 Volt,

Nominal Voltage for the Z10 is 51,8V(52Volt)...maximal Voltage 58,8 Volt. THAT neads to be the Output of a Z10 Charger

You can search for fast chargers for 14S System....i am Pretty sure there are some available. It is just that THIS charger is not the Right one…...

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I saw some 14s chargers or are they 2x7s for 100-200€. But I think I'll be sticking with the std charger for now. I guess the plug NB uses is proprietary. At least havent seen anything like that. Would have to sacrifice the NB charger if building a new one.

• Upvote 1

That's what I was kinda hoping, someone who knows what she's doing to find solutions for faster and safe charging. I mean, the NB charger surely isnt anything magical. The only "problem" is the proprietary plug.

2 hours ago, Ziiten said:

That's what I was kinda hoping, someone who knows what she's doing to find solutions for faster and safe charging. I mean, the NB charger surely isnt anything magical. The only "problem" is the proprietary plug.

The plug prevents people from using a wrong charger.  It's too bad Ninebot didn't include a second charge port so two standard chargers could be used like the new Kingsong 18L.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, smallexis said:

Anyway it's no possible to have a load with more than 2A, the BMS's "security" make a cut off if the current is over 2.1A. I have made a test at 3A, 2.5A and 2.2A.

Thats real interesting!!!

You are talking just about the 9b z10? you had your hands on a pre-production one or is that for a production z10?

so ninebot is preventing a 6paralell system not to be loaded with more than 2 Amps????

9 hours ago, US69 said:

Is it confirmed that they are using 14S?

I may have missed that or forgot. Ninebot often uses 15S and under charges, like in the MiniPro and the Elite.  Maybe with the small space they moved to 14S and went with the full charge.

Edited by FreeRide

13 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

Is it confirmed that they are using 14S?

I may have missed that or forgot. Ninebot often uses 15S and under charges, like in the MiniPro and the Elite.  Maybe with the small space they moved to 14S and went with the full charge.

Yep,it’s confirmed.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, US69 said:

Thats real interesting!!!

You are talking just about the 9b z10? you had your hands on a pre-production one or is that for a production z10?

so ninebot is preventing a 6paralell system not to be loaded with more than 2 Amps????

I have a Z10 and I don't think it's a pre-production. The BMS "protection" system is the same as the MINI PLUS or MINI PRO (can't be loaded over 2A)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smallexis said:

I have a Z10 and I don't think it's a pre-production. The BMS "protection" system is the same as the MINI PLUS or MINI PRO (can't be loaded over 2A)

Interesting, because there was a rumor they were working on their own fast charger.  That must be a smoke screen, or there is a board change coming. 

1 hour ago, smallexis said:

Thats really nonsense on the z10...what 9b is doing here!

Even a charging of about 5 Amps can be called absolutely slow on a 6 parallel system, if you do the math! This protection makes sense on the Mini plus or pro, which only have a 2 parallel system....but not on this high performance wheel.