Worth upgrading from IPS 122 (t260) to newer wheel

Lamin

Hi, have been learning basic EUC riding on my IPS 122, and I love this wheel.

But the relatively weak battery and maybe old design has got me thinking if newer wheels may be both safer, and even easier to ride? Something must have happened with the controller boards and batteries in 4 years?

Would you say that an upgrade to, for example an Inmotion V8 or King Song F14 or F16 may be worth it?

Best /Lamin

It's too bad that IPS hasn't released much to compete against the other players as I really liked their aluminum boxed controller design, and their Xima Lhotz was the bomb.  They do have a magnesium alloy S5 coming out with dual this and dual that, but it looks a lot like a waffle maker.  :whistling:

@thefork is in your neck of the woods, and I believe he was väldigt glad with his InMotion V5F.  People have also been pretty content with their KS 16S's as well.

59 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It's too bad that IPS hasn't released much to compete against the other players as I really liked their aluminum boxed controller design, and their Xima Lhotz was the bomb.  They do have a magnesium alloy i5 coming out with dual this and dual that, but it looks a lot like a waffle maker.  :whistling:

@thefork is in your neck of the woods, and I believe he was väldigt glad with his InMotion V5F.  People have also been pretty content with their KS 16S's as well.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love du talar svenska:clap3:

So an Inmotion V5F would also be an upgrade compared to an IPS 122?

I woul say that my IPS looks well built, with the aluminium controller box you mentioned. But what has become better on the newer wheels, compared to the older ones?

@thefork would you recommend the Inmotion V5F?

The V5F is an older InMotion wheel, but besides some tire rubbing issues most people liked it.  Maybe the V10F might be a good choice too if there isn’t a lot of hill climbing needed.

Higher speed, larger tires and diameters, cooling fans, more robust MOSFETs, thicker axles and wiring, you name it - things are slowly evolving.

I’ve recently put together so much Ikea furniture that I think I can speak Swedish.  :whistling:

To answer your question:

"The newer wheels hold their pedals firmer at higher speeds, over longer periods of time, over rougher terrain."

The newer wheels' tech  manifests itself with firmer pedals, and of course at a higher price. However, except for the reliability part, this may not be relevant to you if you use the wheel as a "slightly faster than jogging" vehicle. A few higher-speed crashes can spook you into riding rather slow (and also damages the wheel).

In my opinion, there are so many fantastic new wheels out there that even if you choose the wrong wheel size for your needs, you'll still get pretty close.

The "can't go wrong" wheels that do it all.

ACM2

MCM5

Tesla

KS16S

KS14S

KS18L

Z10

V10

Rockwheel?

The kinda off wheels that are slightly inappropriate.

MTEN

KS18s

The Monster

MSuper

IPS i5

Rockwheel?

V8/V5

Hovershoes

I can almost guarantee that people who buy an inappropriate wheel already have another inappropriate wheel. For example, no one in their right mind would own a 14s as their sole wheel; they'd have a 14s plus MSuper. Or an i5 + Monster combo. Inappropriate wheel are more specialized and so need another specialized counterpart.

I stuck the Rockwheel in both because it seems to be the wild child of EUCs. He's like the pro athlete that's constantly catching chlymadia.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love sounds like there is a lot happening in wheel development. I would feel the safest if there was some kind of mechanical wind down if the electronics gives up. Like on an elevator, with brakes kicking in when things break.

@LanghamP great list of good wheels, thank you! The best reliability is the big number one requirement for me. I love the feeling of a wheel that just extends my body, the control. Speed does not feel as relevant, for now anyway.

1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

Have you heard of E-Bikes? :D

Or paid up health insurance with a zero deductable.

Only the nuts stay with EUCs, which coincidentally is in your name...

@LanghamP an EUC is the only vehicle I have tried that feels more awesome riding than a motorcycle. So, I hate it. It has a predisposition for failing core functionality (to stay upright). But it feels too good to ride to let it be.

Unfortunately due to the nature of balancing on a single wheel, there is no easy wind down when something fails.  These small vehicles may feel rock solid safe when riding them, but we're all depending on the electronics, sensors, and Chinese factory workers and designers to keep us safe and injury free.  Being slightly crazy is a prerequisite to riding an EUC.  :wacko:  I'm sure though that people thought riding a horse was crazy at one point in time.  Also a two wheeled bicycle must have been pretty strange to some.   Do you remember the Penny Farthing bike?  And they call us insane.  :blink:

7287272-3x2-940x627.jpg

38 minutes ago, Lamin said:

@LanghamP an EUC is the only vehicle I have tried that feels more awesome riding than a motorcycle. So, I hate it. It has a predisposition for failing core functionality (to stay upright). But it feels too good to ride to let it be.

Unlike every other motorized vehicle there are no controls on an EUC.

I just swing my 50 pound nutsack in whatever direction I wanna go, and there I go.

32 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Unlike every other motorized vehicle there are no controls on an EUC.

I just swing my 50 pound nutsack in whatever direction I wanna go, and there I go.

So that is what its for, thank you!

Archived