Speed settings

Zev

Just got my new KS-18L but struggle with the settings of the app and speed limit. If i look in Darkbotness it says 40 km/h and can be put in maximum 45 (not 50...). I try to follow the documentation to generate authorization code on this page https://www.electricunicycles.eu/kingsong_ks14_ks16_unlock_code-c__204 but i have no idea where to put that code. In the app under "Speed settings" there are a form appear suddenly (not everytime) look like this picture:

Screenshot_20180731-220422.thumb.jpg.ad00f4a44189d68f422fed1c8f3b8827.jpg

But its not possible to write anything in the form. The text boxes are looked. I think i have quite good experience with computer and mobile, but this app is really really bad. My InMotion was bad, but 10 times better than KingSong.

Can someone give me a short description how to make the wheel run as suspected max 50 km/h?

Further, should it be possible to make any changes in the app WheelLogs? In my app it just give me information about the wheel, no edit of anything.

36 minutes ago, Zev said:

Just got my new KS-18L but struggle with the settings of the app and speed limit. If i look in Darkbotness it says 40 km/h and can be put in maximum 45 (not 50...). I try to follow the documentation to generate authorization code on this page https://www.electricunicycles.eu/kingsong_ks14_ks16_unlock_code-c__204 but i have no idea where to put that code. In the app under "Speed settings" there are a form appear suddenly (not everytime) look like this picture:

Screenshot_20180731-220422.thumb.jpg.ad00f4a44189d68f422fed1c8f3b8827.jpg

But its not possible to write anything in the form. The text boxes are looked. I think i have quite good experience with computer and mobile, but this app is really really bad. My InMotion was bad, but 10 times better than KingSong.

Can someone give me a short description how to make the wheel run as suspected max 50 km/h?

Further, should it be possible to make any changes in the app WheelLogs? In my app it just give me information about the wheel, no edit of anything.

With the new KS app available on app store, there is no need for an authorization code.

You can directly update to 40km/h, and after 200km to 50km/h.

I often use Android, in worse case Iphone. Is it the same with the new Android app, that you dont need to unlock it? Anyway, i think its strange there are no solution to unlock a new wheel directly for 50 km/h. A very experience driver can buy a new wheel locked to 40 km/h and need to run 200 km, at the same time a newbie can buy a used  wheel which are unlocked to 50 km/h...

27 minutes ago, Zev said:

I often use Android, in worse case Iphone. Is it the same with the new Android app, that you dont need to unlock it? Anyway, i think its strange there are no solution to unlock a new wheel directly for 50 km/h. A very experience driver can buy a new wheel locked to 40 km/h and need to run 200 km, at the same time a newbie can buy a used  wheel which are unlocked to 50 km/h...

Yes, same with new Android app from the play store.

If you are an experienced driver, 200km are reached in a matter of a few days anyway. 

I just got my KS18L today. I was only unable to unlock the speed to 40km/h after riding for 5km. I used the latest app from https://www.kingsong.com/list-30.html

To connect, II clicked on device > bluetooth icon > press "searching..." > connect to KS-18L.

Then to change speed settings, I went to device > More > Sped Setting and changed the speeds. It appears to store the speed settings on the internet under your profile. So you'll have to create a login to be able to save it.

200km is really 133km, KS over report their miles by a factor of 50%. 133km or 83miles.  Not all that much.  

It was also pointed out that the unlock is at 201km if you are not riding that much, you get to see this not unlock at exactly 200km.  LOL

Mine works now, but before it would not work even after 200 km. It would only allow 45km, but now it does work, even if I havent gone that fast yet to go 50kph. 

I gotta say that I am more and more impressed with the KS18L the more I ride it and the more the Company improves it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 4:57 PM, Zev said:

Yes this is stupid. There is no justification that holds up under scrutiny. It is very annoying!

I think the opposite.

I think it is smart way to make sure nothing is broken and that you get used to the wheels personality before to set off to kill yourself at 50 kmh. There is so much more force involved at 50 kmh compared to 40kmh.

In my case I went from 16" to18" so it helps to get accustomed to acceleration and deceleration delays from what I were used to.

I want to ask how safe is the wheel at 50kmh, but I think that will be interpreted wrongly. I'm 90kg(200lbs), will the wheel easily support me at 50kmh or does it take some high level skill of being well balanced on the machine? Can I trust tiltback to tell me to back off, if I don't overlean and try to accelerate too fast? I hear kingsong limits the speed to values way under its capability, as a wide safety margin.

If the wheel is stable the faster you go the easier it is to ride.

However I would not go faster than sprint speed. In this case you have a chance to stay whole in case of wheel failure

At 50 kmph in case of wheel failure your reflexes will not be fast enough to save you

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

I think the opposite.

I think it is smart way tomake sure nothing is broken and that you get used to the wheels personality before to set off to kill yourself at 50 kmh. There is so much more force involved at 50 kmh compared to 40kmh.

In my case I went from 16" to18" so it helps to get accustomed to acceleration and deceleration delays from what I were used to.

You missed the main point. I might have ridden the KS18L 500 km and it got stolen. I buy another one the next day and have to ride 200 km to get it to unlock. Perhaps I sell my KS18L after 500 km to a new rider, who now has an unlocked wheel. I buy another KS18L, white instead of black; I have to ride 200 km before it is unlocked, while the new rider is riding around at potentially 50 kmh. We know KS has good intentions, BUT, their premise is unsound on many levels. If KS builds a proper product and does proper QA, then only 5-10 km of riding should be required to verify everything is okay. King Song looks silly in relation to the other EUC makers. 

1 hour ago, Jerome said:

You missed the main point. I might have ridden the KS18L 500 km and it got stolen. I buy another one the next day and have to ride 200 km to get it to unlock. Perhaps I sell my KS18L after 500 km to a new rider, who now has an unlocked wheel. I buy another KS18L, white instead of black; I have to ride 200 km before it is unlocked, while the new rider is riding around at potentially 50 kmh. We know KS has good intentions, BUT, their premise is unsound on many levels. If KS builds a proper product and does proper QA, then only 5-10 km of riding should be required to verify everything is okay. King Song looks silly in relation to the other EUC makers. 

I do understand what you are saying. It still do not change my opinion that I think it ok to have limiter on a new wheel. I fully understand you disagree. Which it totally fine. It is a free world. Most of the time.

2 hours ago, joku said:

I want to ask how safe is the wheel at 50kmh, but I think that will be interpreted wrongly. I'm 90kg(200lbs), will the wheel easily support me at 50kmh or does it take some high level skill of being well balanced on the machine? Can I trust tiltback to tell me to back off, if I don't overlean and try to accelerate too fast? I hear kingsong limits the speed to values way under its capability, as a wide safety margin.

As I understand it but I could be wrong the closer you get to wheel top speed the higher risk there is the wheel will not be able to cope.

I think too @maxkan made very valid point.once you go faster than was we normally can selfpropel aka run then you add risk to how sever injuries you get in case of an accident.

My point above at ridding at 50kmh is that the speed from40kmh to 50kmh is so much more every compared to 5kmh to 15kmh. It isn't initiative that is why most tend to forget that. Now I had an accident at 30 kmh and got lucky. I dare not to think if I hit a car or a pedestrian at 50kmh because I didn't foresee they didn't see me and moved into my lane.

Since EUC are new to most in my country, they don't expect me blasting past then at 50kmh. And you are only allowed to go like 30kmh on a bike lane.

3 hours ago, joku said:

Can I refer you to the below thread, where this was discussed. @Unventor is correct in his above post. Maximum Torque drops pretty much linearly with speed. The faster you go, the less reserve torque you have left and, obviously, the heavier you are the more torque you are going to need if you hit something that attempts to destabilise you - like a small pothole.

I seriously doubt skill and balance make a really big difference other than the possibility of an unskilled rider getting into oscillation (wobbles) and falling. The skilled rider will lean more gently to prevent exceeding max torque by  overleaning. However, if a skilled rider and and unskilled rider of the same weight hit the same pothole at the same speed I expect they would be very likely to both get the same result. The “skill” really comes into play (IMHO) in identifying the conditions and knowing what speed to stay below in those conditions.

Talking of skill. A couple of years ago we had a “confident” rider who, in a discussion on risks at speed called us all pathetic wimps. He was a skilled parachutist who knew exactly how to fall, didn’t need safety gear, etc. Etc. Full credit to him that he posted the pictures of his injuries when he lost it at speed on a beach - wearing just shorts - even soft wet sand wasn’t exactly forgiving!

1 hour ago, Jerome said:

I buy another KS18L, white instead of black; I have to ride 200 km before it is unlocked, while the new rider is riding around at potentially 50 kmh. We know KS has good intentions, BUT, their premise is unsound on many levels. If KS builds a proper product and does proper QA, then only 5-10 km of riding should be required to verify everything is okay. King Song looks silly in relation to the other EUC makers. 

Yeah, thats your opininon…..

i read here in some threads that a newbie Wheelers was asking where are these danger high Speed wobbles at 35kmh from on his 18L,(just because he is not used to fast riding yet and doesnt know the dynamics) 

When i read Things like that i am very happy About the 200km Lock for the 18S and 18L...even as it is just 3-4 full charges.

Better Safe(and silly then) than Sorry! :-)

Archived