When and where to ride a Mten?

Noam

6 minutes ago, Tilmann said:

Close :) - they labeled it 414Wh.

@Gimlet 

That's because they're so pedantic :P  Instead of using the rounded 60V nominal voltage for 16S, they use the more precise 16 * 3.7V = 59.2V voltage in their calculations. So: 59.2V * 3.5Ah * 2 = 414.4Wh ;)

• Upvote 2

@esaj  Wow, that is so nice of them not to overstate it using 59.2v.  Some of this does come back to my recollection - most chargers say 59.2v but I did not know why.  I did some research some time ago but don't remember it all - except I remember shorthand was 2200mAh turned out to be the 132Wh pack and therefore 4400 follows as double that.  And I also remember it had to be calculated with the 60v systems of our EUs and therefore the results are different with electric bikes and electric skateboards because they are not 60v.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The mten and mten2 needs to have the additional padding added in order to ride comfortable.  I find the stock wheel to be very hard to ride and control as it is entirely through your feet versus your feet and legs.  I like the mten and mten2 very much also and is nimble as heck.

18 hours ago, GQS said:

The mten and mten2 needs to have the additional padding added in order to ride comfortable.  I find the stock wheel to be very hard to ride and control as it is entirely through your feet versus your feet and legs.  I like the mten and mten2 very much also and is nimble as heck.

Thanks @GQS for the additional comment. After I heard the rumours about ceasing production, I bought an mten2 right away. That was about two months ago and I believe it was one of the last mtens in stock here.

Anyway, I get your point and can certainly understand why many riders of the mten are using padding and often quite heavy one. But still I have decided against it so far. Basically for two reasons.

1. It suppose to be the wheel for my son to learn how to ride an euc. He will turn five and the size of the mten suits him just nicely. Paddings would make it more difficult for him.

2. Actually, I use to ride my Ninebot with my feet in a forward and outer position. The toes very far over the pedals and my legs do not touch the wheel at all. Currently I am wondering if it would give me more control over the wheel with my legs squeezing and turning it. But I think, I dont like the wheel touching my legs whilst riding.

Finally, yes, I cannot start riding the mten with a skateboard kind of kickstart, but have to hold onto a wall to get on it. But once on, its really great fun to ride, even without the padding.

nice photo!

I'm learning to ride without padding now.  For me the side padding is to give feedback as to what the wheel is doing which reduces the wiggliness but I'm learning to ride without the leg pads, so the contact points are the ankles only toward the instep.  It's more of a free feeling and it's even more maneuverable if mastered.

I can mount it fine without any aid (let me confirm that) -okay, just tried it on hardwood floor.  What I do is I place my right foot on the pedal, tip the wheel left and also tip my leg left pretty far out to touch side of the wheel, then I kickoff to mount like skateboard style but the leg needs to tip pretty far left.  I can also tip-toe my left foot on the ground and place the heel on the left pedal and mount like that - it's an odd way to mount and the normal kickoff style is easier.

video perhaps?

• 3 years later...

bumping an old thread. 

This thread is a convincing argument for the Mten3 being my learner wheel. I'm a newbie and I currently own a used Tesla with a flat tire and a bent rim, with no charger.  Before I even ride it, I have to learn how to disassemble the thing, fix the rim, fix the flat, and buy a charger. I also own an MCM3 that I don't want to ride. It seems to struggle with my weight (210lbs). I think it would be great for someone 180lb and below but not for me.

My plan was to learn on a smaller wheel, then ride the Tesla, and then buy a 16x, although with the latest news maybe I'll change to the Nikola. My goal, other than fun and commuting, is to be good enough to go on the SF group rides. Those look like a blast.

What I didn't want to do is buy an interim wheel that I'll quickly outgrow, but it seems like everyone loves the Mten3 even when they have bigger wheels.

On 6/6/2019 at 11:11 AM, Esso said:

bumping an old thread. 

This thread is a convincing argument for the Mten3 being my learner wheel. I'm a newbie and I currently own a used Tesla with a flat tire and a bent rim, with no charger.  Before I even ride it, I have to learn how to disassemble the thing, fix the rim, fix the flat, and buy a charger. I also own an MCM3 that I don't want to ride. It seems to struggle with my weight (210lbs). I think it would be great for someone 180lb and below but not for me.

My plan was to learn on a smaller wheel, then ride the Tesla, and then buy a 16x, although with the latest news maybe I'll change to the Nikola. My goal, other than fun and commuting, is to be good enough to go on the SF group rides. Those look like a blast.

What I didn't want to do is buy an interim wheel that I'll quickly outgrow, but it seems like everyone loves the Mten3 even when they have bigger wheels.

Esso, the mten3 is a totally different animal than the old mten1, mten2, and luffy.  The specs on the mten3 exceed the old mcm3.  The mten3 can definitely be a starter wheel but it no longer has to be.  If you only do city riding, the mten3 is capable of being your only wheel.

• 2 months later...

I spotted someone riding one today on 9th Ave. and 44th St. going South after 5:30pm. He was able to navigate on a crowded sidewalk, zipping past slow walkers, zipping past me and riding at walking speed behind a large group that he couldn’t get around - like a pedestrian. 

I have the V10 and am looking for a secondary PEV to do that. I just don’t like the idea of a smaller wheel’s instability nor do I think it’s designed cool for the price. 

Edited by Lillian

8 minutes ago, Lillian said:

I have the V10 and am looking for a secondary PEV to do that. I just don’t like the idea of a smaller wheel’s instability nor do I think it’s designed cool for the price. 

Stability is tire width.

At 2.75" wide, I'd beg to say the MTen3 is actually a smidge more stabile than the 2.5" wide V10 IMHO (especially if you swap to the Type II tire), as I've owned both wheels and rode them regularly in NYC.

My only gripe with the MTen3 is that 10" diameter is just too small to do bike lanes at the ~22mph max in this city (which I had been doing), as our bike lane pavement is just awful usually, with moon craters much bigger than 10" sometimes.

the mTen3 is a fantastic wheel, that I ride when I want to do tricks (I can jump 3 feet in the air on this lightweight wheel), or when I'm just cruising around town

the pedals are abysmal, so I will be installing MSX pedals; however the overall ride experience is loads of fun - this thing turns on a dime and has sooooo much power

the best place to ride it is anywhere that you like having fun

potholes are somewhat of an inconvenience, but I rode up a 4 inch curb with nothing more than the power of the wheel

22 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Stability is tire width.

At 2.75" wide, I'd beg to say the MTen3 is actually a smidge more stabile than the 2.5" wide V10 IMHO (especially if you swap to the Type II tire), as I've owned both wheels and rode them regularly in NYC.

My only gripe with the MTen3 is that 10" diameter is just too small to do bike lanes at the ~22mph max in this city (which I had been doing), as our bike lane pavement is just awful usually, with moon craters much bigger than 10" sometimes.

Good to know. Thanks for the correction and insight. 

7 hours ago, Declan acoustic-unicyclist said:

the mTen3 is a fantastic wheel, that I ride when I want to do tricks (I can jump 3 feet in the air on this lightweight wheel), or when I'm just cruising around town

the pedals are abysmal, so I will be installing MSX pedals; however the overall ride experience is loads of fun - this thing turns on a dime and has sooooo much power

the best place to ride it is anywhere that you like having fun

potholes are somewhat of an inconvenience, but I rode up a 4 inch curb with nothing more than the power of the wheel

I'd like to have something like it for riding on the sidewalk like the guy I saw. He wasn't a nuisance the way he was riding slow and controlled. I was jealous :efee612b4b:

14 hours ago, Lillian said:

I'd like to have something like it for riding on the sidewalk like the guy I saw. He wasn't a nuisance the way he was riding slow and controlled. I was jealous :efee612b4b:

It's definitely supreme at carving around on sidewalks. You can even jump up and down curbs! I wrapped the whole wheel in a cocoon of neoprene foam for damage protection and some waterproofing.

It's also an excellent offroad wheel! although you do get a lot of dust stuck inside, so it's good to blow some out

• Like 1