Split between the MSuperX vs Z10

Hsiang

I got the IPS i5 two three month ago and had really loved riding it. It is fine for regular commute since I don’t live far from work.

But for the weekend and longer trips, I have been thinking about getting a larger/faster wheel. I have been lurking and reading the forum for several month and have mostly settle on either going with a MSuperX or a Z10. But I am really split between which one to get and would love to hear more thoughts from people whom have more experiences with these two EUCs.

I rode the Z10 briefly and love the look and design for the wheel but am hung up on its lack of top end speed vs the MSuper X.

Btw I live in NYC and will be riding primarily in street with traffic and bike lanes.

Anyone have experience with both of these wheels and compare them on; acceleration, maneuverability (both as speed and slow) and stability?

Have you tried riding 28 mph speeds for long time? What about faster speeds? I understand some people really like speed but I find these speeds quite uncomfortable on EUC. The wind resistance is quite high already at 25 mph. And it gets really dangerous also. In my opinion there is a diminishing return on higher speeds after 25 mph. 

Let's focus on top end speed because that's your primary concern. What is your desired riding speed?

I have never ridden an EUC faster than 25mph, and am only speaking from experience with motorcycle. Where there is a tendency to want greater speed and power to have the capability to speed up to get away from trouble. I don't think I would want to ride at 30mph or greater at a regular basis, but the dominant opinion from the local MSuperX owners seems to be that it is good to have the head room for additional speed. Street traffic do go up to 35mph but mostly in short burst. 

22 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

I have never ridden an EUC faster than 25mph, and am only speaking from experience with motorcycle. Where there is a tendency to want greater speed and power to have the capability to speed up to get away from trouble. I don't think I would want to ride at 30mph or greater at a regular basis, but the dominant opinion from the local MSuperX owners seems to be that it is good to have the head room for additional speed. Street traffic do go up to 35mph but mostly in short burst. 

I just returned from doing some speed runs on the Z10. What is nice about the Z10 vs Gotway wheels is the sense of built-in safety. You don't feel like you're going to faceplant even if you push the wheel hard. The tilt-back that occurs to limit your speed is gentle and works quite well. My max speed today was ~27-mph at 100-percent battery. It was still that at ~80-percent.

However, if you don't want to be riding the tilt-back, the realistic top cruising speed (for at least 50-percent of the battery) is 25-mph.

For Gotway wheels you want that very high top speed as a safety buffer. But I don't think that same reasoning applies to the Z10.

I know top speeds are often compared in a bubble, but are there any comparisons for "safe" top-speed over a particular ground surface, maybe based on wheel diameter/width, EUC weight, etc.?

For example, comparing the Z10 to the MSX at 28mph:  are both of these wheels equally safe or dangerous when going 28mph over potholes, cracks/bumps, sand, gravel, or any potentially "bad" unseen surface?  Not really factoring potential EUC cut-off; just if it's easily "rideable."

I can't speak for which wheel is better for your needs but I can guarantee that you'll faceplant when going back to your i5 after having ridden the other wheels, especially if you switched wheels a few minutes previously.

This is exactly my question as well. It felt like from my reading on this forum that above 30mph the MSX is iffy, as in capable of going that fast but has a lot more potential to go wrong. I am not sure if that was a bias view against GW and the MSX has sufficiently imporved so as to not have the same problems. But sounds like Marty also echoed this view above, that it feels safer to "ride the beep" at 28mph on the z10 but not so doing 35mph on the MSX. Also, are the drop in top speed bracketed (not sure if thats the right word) differently? as in Z10 maintain 28mph upto a lower battery % than the MSX?

I actually think that I'll use the i5 just as much, since I use it for commute to the office. I'll be in a shirt and none grippy shoes and will likely not be in the go go go mindset.

from what I've read so far the z10 is ok to ride at 26mph that's riding the tiltback though the msx can go 35+mph but I'd rather ride the msx at 26mph which would be comfatable speed for the msx no riding tiltback and then you've got power to play with if ever needed , the msx runs cool what I've heard and absorbs bumps and holes well,, the z10 is a lovely looking wheel and sturdy i think both wheels are safe just depends how hard you push them ,, I've bought the msx just for the range and comfy tyre. I've used my 840wh battery in 2 hours and then I'm all ??? till charged again ?

4 minutes ago, Esper said:

Hey @Marty Backe, have you ridden a MSuperX? I haven't read up on all your most recent posts so I'm not sure if you've posted about it yet.

Yes. See my video posted here:

Could you compare the accelleration between the two? I wonder if the smaller motor on the z10 is noticeable? I did talked to someone local whom had the MSX to the Telsa and said that the Tesla actually had better accelleration because of the smaller wheel, would the heavier tire on the z10 further drag down its acceleration?

3 hours ago, Hsiang said:

Could you compare the accelleration between the two? I wonder if the smaller motor on the z10 is noticeable? I did talked to someone local whom had the MSX to the Telsa and said that the Tesla actually had better accelleration because of the smaller wheel, would the heavier tire on the z10 further drag down its acceleration?

My sense is that the MSX will accelerate faster, but I should be able to do a crude test to confirm.

10 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

Not sure it's worth testing on the preproduction unit?

I am also confused by this. Havent they been selling this wheel in China and Europe already? Are they still making changes to the production and are we getting a different wheel?

Would love to get some sort of quantifiable metric for EUC accelleration like seconds to go from 0 to 20mph. Not sure if that is possible.

The wheel circulating around NY, FL, LA, and San Fran from eWheels was a preproduction unit.   The production units are reported to have 1/3 more torque which is why I suggested it might not be worth doing.

And yes limited numbers of production units are in the wild right now.  Ninebot broke the mold at their factory, delaying shipments.

4 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

I am also confused by this. Havent they been selling this wheel in China and Europe already? Are they still making changes to the production and are we getting a different wheel?

Would love to get some sort of quantifiable metric for EUC accelleration like seconds to go from 0 to 20mph. Not sure if that is possible.

Yes. Those are the production units. I have a pre-production unit that has a different (weaker) control board.

2 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

The wheel circulating around NY, FL, LA, and San Fran from eWheels was a preproduction unit.   The production units are reported to have 1/3 more torque which is why I suggested it might not be worth doing.

And yes limited numbers of production units are in the wild right now.  Ninebot broke the mold at their factory, delaying shipments.

I'm still going to do an informal test. This is fun, don't you know :D

The msuper x has more stuff for a little less money. And in my opinion i think the main attractions of the z10 are the big tire, and it being produced by a bigger company well known for safety and excellent manufacturing standards. 

I think gotway are getting better. But they arent catching up to ninebot or anything.

I havent heard of any mcm5 failures? And the tesla and acm2 failires i have heard of were all mosfet related. But the mcm5 and msuper x both use mosfets that can withstand up to 300amps. Where as the tesla and acm2 use ones that can withstand 170amps

so i dont think mosfet failures is gonna be a problem, melting wires was also fixed long time ago. As well as hall sensor issues. So there isnt any certain problem you should be holding your breath for as of  now with the msuper x.

i think the z10 main selling point is that big 4.5 wide inch tire.

but the msuper x tire is also pretty big at 3 inches wide

also i have read that the diameter of the max tire is 19,5 and the z10 is 17,5

I havent ridden the z10 personally so take my post with a grain of salt.

im just adding more stuff for you to read and decide from :) 

4 hours ago, Shad0z said:

The msuper x has more stuff for a little less money. And in my opinion i think the main attractions of the z10 are the big tire, and it being produced by a bigger company well known for safety and excellent manufacturing standards. 

This for me is a huge factor, it is an expensive purchase and for the cost and consider that I am not at all familiar with DIY electrical "stuff" I would like to minimize potential issues.

I had to open up my i5 to fix a flat yesterday and it was a harrowing experience. I was happy that it still works after I was done with it!

4 hours ago, Shad0z said:

im just adding more stuff for you to read and decide from :)

More the merrier, aren't half the fun waiting and speculating?

Archived