Suggestions for my first unicycle purchase

Berus

42 minutes ago, Berus said:

Thanks ! .. and now  in my home :D:D

I wasn't able to travel but at least the bluetooth work well :D

DSC_0179.JPG

If anyone want to see in depth  I have found this page with disassembling instruction. My unicycle is no-brand but the factory is the same

http://www.tomoloo.com/hdzx/20150413140422.html

Please take photos, videos...etc and let us know what you think.  Thank you

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Colestien said:

Please take photos, videos...etc and let us know what you think.  Thank you

Yes of course .. but as you know need some day to learn. for now I can say ... Bluetooh ok and very silent.

I have done my first 5 meter  :D..after 30/40min of training

1 hour ago, Jag_Rip said:

First look is good, I personally would get a different color, but that doesnt matter at all here. Hope you have some fun with it!

Me too ..but it was't available :unsure::rolleyes:

Don't get frustrated if you don't find your click right away.  I have seen it take weeks (me) and as fast as a couple lessons over 2 days(My Daughter).  Just play and have fun!

edit:  Just thought of it.... How long did it take from the time you "pulled the trigger" and it was at your door?  There is a thread here keeping track.  Great info to have for the next Wheel purchase. I also thought about www.urban360.com . I like watching the map fill up!:D

13 hours ago, Colestien said:

Don't get frustrated if you don't find your click right away.  I have seen it take weeks (me) and as fast as a couple lessons over 2 days(My Daughter).  Just play and have fun!

edit:  Just thought of it.... How long did it take from the time you "pulled the trigger" and it was at your door?  There is a thread here keeping track.  Great info to have for the next Wheel purchase. I also thought about www.urban360.com . I like watching the map fill up!:D

Oh yeah not frustrated ....I have read for months this forum ..I need time to learn.
Yesterday training on my long terrace.
Today first session in the park. I have found my barycentre and I was able to run several times for some hundred of meters without stop. some problems with little terrain bump and offroad terrain ( wet)
I'm able to break and go down without problem . But the big problem is the START UP ..without an help at now I cant start a run :(
But i'm patience :D

Hi, @Berus, Congratulations on your happy start! Have lots of fun and be safe.

It will be great if you post pictures or video of your progress.

I am curious: do you plan on padding your EU with tape/foam? or will you use padding/protectors on your legs where they touch the EU?

I have padded mine, but in retrospect, I think the padding is only necessary temporarily to 1) protect the EU from crashes and 2) make learning more comftorable with less pain on the inside of the lower legs.

Take care!

@Villac

Hi Villac, thank you.

Yesterday no crash I was on terrace.

I haven't tape/foam but I wanted to try absolutely outdoor in the park ..mistake .. I don't thought that I was able to ride freely ..but instead it happen .. with several crash/fall for the EU (not for me :D ) . So a lot of scratch under the pedals and on the shell. Maybe something broken inside:wacko:  .. but it stil work ( I will write in the next days ..how it work).

Tomorrow I will go to buy some protection ...

@BerusNo worries about scratches if it still goes! (I'm talking about EU and rider).

One trick I have seen here (maybe it was Gimlet??) is to put a towel around the EU and secure it with a belt. It is nice temporary padding for EU and rider.

Take care and have fun!

Hello !!

I'm very disappointed about my unicycle battery 2900maH . After first days of training on the terrace I have stressed the battery and see that quick discharge.

In the second and third day of outdoor running, in a little oval circuit for rollerblade ..measured with smartphone gps ...4,6 Km before first alarm for lower battery ..5km at third alarm.

The good news is that it don't have BMS shutdown, only beep and turn the pedals .  .so its impossible to continue...0 speed but power on.

The strange thing (I don't thought) then when rotate pedals ..all rotate ..pedals+shell ..it's normal ????.

Another bad thing  ..til for over 45° inclination left/right ..not work as well the auto restart function.

Only tilting when the tire leave the ground : it accelerates and after 1-2 sec tilting.

But my main problem is ..how to start running without a support  (like a lamppost, handrail) ....suggestions ?? :D

To start you have to work out which leg is dominant and get use to moving around with that leg on the euc. Then I found I had to work on getting the other foot on with as little movement as possible so you don't upset balance.

Where did you get that generic model from? Looks nice.

2 hours ago, lizardmech said:

To start you have to work out which leg is dominant and get use to moving around with that leg on the euc. Then I found I had to work on getting the other foot on with as little movement as possible so you don't upset balance.

Where did you get that generic model from? Looks nice.

Thank you for your suggestions ! I will training for that problem in this week.

Today as always 4km on circuit and after my first time riding in my city walkside bicycle path,sidewalks (3km)....thery nice :).

About this generic model there are two chinese brand that selling it "Tomoloo" and "CXM". you can buy at electricunicycleonline under tomoloo brand.

However I have bought it from other commercial agent ..but same factory.

About left right tilt  auto restart functions finally,  very quickly, they admit an error .. used an old mainboard model  ...they will ship the most recent  mainboard :)

Very well ..but I still have the problem of the battery (I thought that they used an old battery ..I do not want to disassemble my one-wheel, for now .I will do with the new mainboard.

I added some protection

eucp.jpg

Very well ... one week later .. I'm able to step up without any support :)
Thanks to the suggestion in this forum and I found this video very helpful

After this, training complete, I decided to inflate my tire that was a little low ...and all things changed :D:D .. too hard

@Berus Congratulations!  That is a nice looking wheel - I remember seeing it when researching before.  I remember many different colors are shown but I'm sure you got one at a good price.

that's nice of them to send you a board upgrade.  Does that handle pull up a little?

Also good job on learning how to mount!  It seems impossible at first.  Usually it helps a lot when you study how someone does it - and it's better in person so that you can actually believe what seems impossible is really possible.

@castShadow

thank you !

that handle pull up and down ... in the last images is up .. but no more .

..and yes I will learn about mount (I have found a guide about demount) ..but I'm a little worried if I need calibrate ...how to do .. but i think that factory supplier will help me :)

@Berus looks like you are doing great and having fun.  A little good news for you.  You will still get better.  After I had learned to ride, I had thought This is great I'm "there"!  Looking back over months of riding I can tell you "there" keeps getting better.   I have still been improving, without realizing it.   I'm sure you will notice (as I had) You will do things that used to make you have to stop, or fall if you don't.   There is a Brick road close to my house.  (sorry not the Yellow brick one :huh:)  I would always have trouble every time I tried. I even avoided it.  Now it is just a road, nothing to worry about.  

1 hour ago, lizardmech said:

I got about 6km on my generic today with various hills and offroading. Seems like 7-8km is about normal for 170wh packs + average western adult male. Couldn't make it up a steep hill though, motor was too weak.

@lizardmech hi ! Ok i'm more happy now with 7-8km ...5 was very bad. The factory said tested.. 10km...the two brands that selling this 15-20km -_-( I know is always half)

1 hour ago, Colestien said:

@Berus looks like you are doing great and having fun.  A little good news for you.  You will still get better.  After I had learned to ride, I had thought This is great I'm "there"!  Looking back over months of riding I can tell you "there" keeps getting better.   I have still been improving, without realizing it.   I'm sure you will notice (as I had) You will do things that used to make you have to stop, or fall if you don't.   There is a Brick road close to my house.  (sorry not the Yellow brick one :huh:)  I would always have trouble every time I tried. I even avoided it.  Now it is just a road, nothing to worry about.  

@Colestien hi ! Yes of course now I need to learn a lot of things , but I'm happy because I have learned the basics rules to run   .. and it was more easy/quick that I could thought. Now that I have only inflated the tire ,  i have less confidence and it's more difficult  run on brick road/offroad ,up/down sidewalk and others rough roads. Running for more than 1 hour was a bit tiring :D

@Berus  I wasn't meaning that as a negative.  You are doing great!    I was meaning all those things you think are hard now will become easier, and easier the longer you just ride.  You have started the ball rolling down hill.  Yap there are challenges along the way.  If there wasn't I don't think it would be as much fun.  Most of the learning I have done after learning the basics seem to just happen.  Your on the road now,  I think you will be surprised at how far your skill will increase along the way, "Seemingly" all by themselves.  That is as long as you keep riding.  

Cheers

For a first wheel,

First would like to say that is better to buy from a reseller around your place or in your country or continent. If you have a problem with your wheel when you import it from China directly, if you have any problem you will just have your eyes for crying.

After between different wheel, you need to choose the one who is better for your environment (city, country side, what you will do, km you plan to do,...) Who to choose? city 14' is more manuable, country side 16' or 18' for long trip; if you plan to do 10km/day a small battery will be enough and you could also carry it on a plan. If you like to do tricks 14' is more easy to learn.

Good day

3 hours ago, Kingsong-France said:

For a first wheel,

First would like to say that is better to buy from a reseller around your place or in your country or continent. If you have a problem with your wheel when you import it from China directly, if you have any problem you will just have your eyes for crying.

Good day

Maybe a good idea if you have a shop near your house...buy from them.
However if you want a first wheel to understand if you can use it , if you like it ,you can choose to buy from directly from China at half price.
My second reason to buy was understand how much cost import unicycles from China,how China factories working  and the quality of a generic unicycle.

5 hours ago, Berus said:

@Colestien

Thank you  ..I understand what you said :)

..but a review about your generic unicycle ..where is ? :D

@Berus I agreed with you at the start of my learning, but after learning how to ride my agreement is a little fussy.  I now that sounds crazy.  If I found out I couldn't ride, or I could ride but it hurt my feet to much, or just flat out I didn't like it.  Then the Cheaper Wheel would have saved money.  Being semi-retired I have time, and some money.  But not $1500+ laying around.  Real money will take time to get together.   So this is the crazy part, I'm feel I should have bought a better Wheel to start.  In the same breath if I would have bought a better wheel, It would have been a lot later before I could have started riding........

I believe I did a short generic review, lost in a Thread somewhere.....  Sorry I'll see if I can find it.

hi !

two week later my unicycle still run :D.

This week less kilometer but training to go slow e running over rough sidewalk with a lot of holes  :D very hard

my step up to start running isn't still perfect :D

But I have 2 stupid questions :

- when the tire live the ground  the wheel accelerate for 1 sec and after ...tilt .. is this a standard security function?

- when the speed is more than 6 km (around) the pedals and shell inclination change from horizontal to inclined (back). Is this standard  function ??

p.s. Only over 12km with alarm pedals increase  inclination

thanks in advance :)

44 minutes ago, Berus said:

But I have 2 stupid questions :

- when the tire live the ground  the wheel accelerate for 1 sec and after ...tilt .. is this a standard security function?

Yes, thats the overspeed shutoff. In the air the wheel accelerates until the max speed is readhed...

44 minutes ago, Berus said:

- when the speed is more than 6 km (around) the pedals and shell inclination change from horizontal to inclined (back). Is this standard  function ??

Thats the kick-back. This shall hinder you an going to fast and trigger a shut-off

Archived