Suggestions for my first unicycle purchase

Berus

Thanks @esaj for the clarification about the Amps and Watts ^_^ With my limited knowledge about anything electricity related, I simply figured they shouldnt state their capacity with the same numbers a cellphone battery uses, since the Voltage is way higher. My point that wasnt laid out obvious enough is that they should use Wh instead of mAh to state their battery capacity to avoid confusion and the need of calculating or guessing.

If they claim publicly to be IP65, I guess they were doing (some) work towards it. If they dont even state any protection, I am assuming the electronics are right next to the wheel unprotected from dirt, roadkill or liquids in any way.
While its true that the Ninebot hasnt sealed wiring holes, but its construction is made in a way that you have to submerge the device or use high pressure water to get into those holes, meaning you can safely ride the bot through the rain without worrying that it shorts or gets otherwise damaged (I rode it several times through pouring rain by now) And they state in their quickstart guide not to use high pressure hoses, but a normal pressure hose and a wet towel to clean it from external dirt.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't remember seeing that one before, not exactly like most typical generics, but hard to say anything for sure, a tad faster and larger battery than the typical generics?

I like the design and it seem have a good battery. There is some video on youtube (cxm a8). Cxm is one of the manufacturers with this model , tomoloo is another brand with same model (I have found a total of 3 manufacturer with this model).

I like huanxi too ..but KaleOsaurusRex don't reply to my pm lol

Im looking for something around 400$ with a good battery :D

If they claim publicly to be IP65, I guess they were doing (some) work towards it. If they dont even state any protection, I am assuming the electronics are right next to the wheel unprotected from dirt, roadkill or liquids in any way.
While its true that the Ninebot hasnt sealed wiring holes, but its construction is made in a way that you have to submerge the device or use high pressure water to get into those holes, meaning you can safely ride the bot through the rain without worrying that it shorts or gets otherwise damaged (I rode it several times through pouring rain by now) And they state in their quickstart guide not to use high pressure hoses, but a normal pressure hose and a wet towel to clean it from external dirt.

If the sealings on Ninebots or other wheels were really inadequate (the Firewheel sealing out-of-the-box, or rather lack of it, is very suspicious ;)), I'd expect we'd seen a large number of reports of the wheels failing in rain, so it seems that at least in most cases it is "enough". During that some Singapore event with lots of riders (John posted the video somewhere), I recall that at least one King Song failed due to water and maybe a Rockwheel (but don't remember if the Rockwheel "just" broke or if that was also due to water). What ticks me off is the outright lying on the ratings, if it's not really IP65, then why claim it is? Same goes for the reported mileages, which are many times overstated at least by a factor of 1.5 or 2, although it starts to look like the "big" manufacturers are starting to put the numbers right for the most part...

I like the design and it seem have a good battery. There is some video on youtube (cxm a8). Cxm is one of the manufacturers with this model , tomoloo is another brand with same model (I have found a total of 3 manufacturer with this model).

Don't know that much about US-prices, but I doubt you can get a quality "brand"-wheel with large/high quality batteries with $400. On the other hand, starting with a cheaper model could be a good choice, as the first one is bound to get scratched and banged up a lot  ;)

If the sealings on Ninebots or other wheels were really inadequate (the Firewheel sealing out-of-the-box, or rather lack of it, is very suspicious ;)), I'd expect we'd seen a large number of reports of the wheels failing in rain, so it seems that at least in most cases it is "enough". During that some Singapore event with lots of riders (John posted the video somewhere), I recall that at least one King Song failed due to water and maybe a Rockwheel (but don't remember if the Rockwheel "just" broke or if that was also due to water). What ticks me off is the outright lying on the ratings, if it's not really IP65, then why claim it is? Same goes for the reported mileages, which are many times overstated at least by a factor of 1.5 or 2, although it starts to look like the "big" manufacturers are starting to put the numbers right for the most part...

Don't know that much about US-prices, but I doubt you can get a quality "brand"-wheel with large/high quality batteries with $400. On the other hand, starting with a cheaper model could be a good choice, as the first one is bound to get scratched and banged up a lot  ;)

I'm asking to  manufacturers and some wholesales (i have an import company).

However there are ninebot offers like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Electric-Scooters-latest-unicycle-balancing-electric-unicycle-auto-hover-board-Scooters-16-inches-DHL-free-shipping/32441952857.html

But ..can be trust ?

The fotos in the link seem to be from a ninebot e and not a ninebot e+. (Has just one "screw" hole instead of two...)

I'm asking to  manufacturers and some wholesales (i have an import company).

However there are ninebot offers like this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Electric-Scooters-latest-unicycle-balancing-electric-unicycle-auto-hover-board-Scooters-16-inches-DHL-free-shipping/32441952857.html

But ..can be trust ?

If that's genuine, it must be the cheapest Ninebot E+ I've ever seen... Looks dubious. Also the "specs" at the start of the page are from a F-Wheel Dolphin D3?:

Power:
201-500w
Category:
Stepper Scooter
Charging Time:
6-8h
Tire Size:
16 inch
Brand Name:
FL-D3
Voltage:
60v
Range Per Charge:
40-60km
Certification:
COC
Foldable:
Yes
Model Number:
FL-D3
Applicable People:
Men

What ticks me off is the outright lying on the ratings, if it's not really IP65, then why claim it is? Same goes for the reported mileages, which are many times overstated at least by a factor of 1.5 or 2, although it starts to look like the "big" manufacturers are starting to put the numbers right for the most part...

I couldnt agree more on that. <_< "outright lying" hits the spot.

The cheapest Ninebot is also the lightest ever (probably packed in helium):

Package Weight:
7.000kg (15.43lb.)

The CXM looks interesting. Looks like maybe a 16" wheel based on outer dimensions? No mention of motor power though.

Max speed 20kph and with tilt back at 14-16kph means it'll be moving pretty slow, though there aren't any cheap wheels I know of that go faster.

Hey! Sorry about the delay. We are offering the Huanxi on special order, but have removed it from our store due to longevity concerns. I'm pretty skeptical at this point that anything in this price range is really going to last long. Sorry about the delay! I'm traveling in Alaska and only have internet on and off.

I suspect every maker is being very generous with IP65 ratings, but the ratings themselves seem pretty vague. http://www.hilclare.com/news/view/what-are-ip-ratings

If I were rating it as a buyer, the Firewheel from the factory is IP43 because dust and water can get into all the compartments. The water runs in because the compartments aren't sealed, but it generally runs out the bottom and the battery packs are wrapped in plastic making them less likely to get wet.

My older 14-inch wheel is worse, it has big holes at the top where water and dust, or even small twigs, can get in. However, it also has a big hole at the bottom of the compartments (near the axle) where water can get out.

As long as the water and mud just passes through and doesn't settle on anything critical, does that count as "protected against water"? If the dust settles on the circuit board and doesn't hurt anything, is that "protected against dust"?  I guess for the manufacturers the answer is "yes".

I suspect every maker is being very generous with IP65 ratings, but the ratings themselves seem pretty vague. http://www.hilclare.com/news/view/what-are-ip-ratings

Actually, IP-ratings are standardized and have standard tests, it's just that nobody actually tests a product that says IPxx to pass those tests ;)  There's a 207-page IEC-documentation detailing the ratings and the tests, but most sources just provide the simple description, like for example:

Dust testing at IP5x and IP6x -levels:

IP Testing – 1st Numeral: Ratings IP5X – IP6X
Unlike ratings IP1X to IP4X, tests for ratings IP5X and IP6X require much more complex test equipment. The intent of these tests is to support the test sample in a dust test chamber containing specially sized grains of talcum powder in suspension.

Depending on the type of product being tested and the associated requirements in the end-product standard, a vacuum line may also be connected to the sample. Note that the design of the product will dictate whether the vacuum line results in air flow. Leaky seals will allow air to flow when the vacuum is applied and therefore pressure will not build. Likewise, a tightly sealed product will have little to no air flow and consequently negative pres-sure will increase.

Liquid testing at IPx5:

• IPX5: Sample is subjected to jetting water by a jet nozzle with a 6.3 mm diameter opening at a flow rate of 12.5 L/min. Each surface of the product is to be tested for one minute from a distance of 2.5 to 3.0 meters.

The full standard actually goes as far as to provide water temperatures etc, for example:

Important Test Criteria
• Water Temperature: For the wet tests, the standard requires that the test sample, the test equipment, AND the water must be maintained at room temperature for 24 hours before testing = necessitates an in-door test lab with a storage tank system.

I didn't realize that they had that level of detail! With safety ratings like UL or CSA you only get their seal if they do the testing, and they have the same level of detailed descriptions for what has to be done. As long as the manufacturer gets to do the testing it seems unlikely we'll get accurate ratings. 

6.3 mm diameter opening at a flow rate of 12.5 L/min

:o I am pretty sure the Firewheel would just dissolve into a puddle. :D

I think the best waterproof is, V3 inmotion

The wheelbarrow to invade the water, you can ride

I have broken the shell, there is no gap can penetrate

In the brand car, the worst is NINEBOT, followed by KS, ROCKWHEEL.

For example: KS horn, USB is a water inlet. This is the most stupid design I have ever seen.

NINEBOT, the water will flow along its curve, just like a backflow device. The water flows into the battery box, the main board storehouse, and then the motherboard will be somehow bad! Without any trace, this is their official since no attention! I wonder

Rockwheel is needless to say, with the hot melt adhesive, hot melt adhesive! Hot melt adhesive!

@unicycle distribution has some points about the water-protection level, the one thing he does not take into consideration is the rate of improvement with the King Song over a very short time. As of last week they are now applying a polymer sealant between the side panels & main casing (I pushed very hard for this), in addition to including a much more resilient USB cap. 

Ninebot's are not all that bad, the Wheel housing is sealed, it's only when the Wheel is placed on it's side is it vulnerable to water ingress. They were also the first to apply a laminate onto the control-board's surface (this is now taken up by a number of manufacturers).

IPS have come a long way in the past year, their control-boards are enclosed in an aluminum structure with seals, which provides a decent amount of protection. 

No new single Wheel Airwheel in over a 1.5 years, & from what I recall of the X3, protection is ok, but not great, certainly not 'waterproof', that they claim on their site.   

11.JPG

@unicycle distribution has some points about the water-protection level, the one thing he does not take into consideration is the rate of improvement with the King Song over a very short time. As of last week they are now applying a polymer sealant between the side panels & main casing (I pushed very hard for this), in addition to including a much more resilient USB cap. 

Ninebot's are not all that bad, the Wheel housing is sealed, it's only when the Wheel is placed on it's side is it vulnerable to water ingress. They were also the first to apply a laminate onto the control-board's surface (this is now taken up by a number of manufacturers).

IPS have come a long way in the past year, their control-boards are enclosed in an aluminum structure with seals, which provides a decent amount of protection. 

No new single Wheel Airwheel in over a 1.5 years, & from what I recall of the X3, protection is ok, but not great, certainly not 'waterproof', that they claim on their site.   

11.JPG

These improvements should be appreciated.

The CXM looks interesting. Looks like maybe a 16" wheel based on outer dimensions? No mention of motor power though.

Max speed 20kph and with tilt back at 14-16kph means it'll be moving pretty slow, though there aren't any cheap wheels I know of that go faster.

I have asked to 2 manufacturer (no cxm) about this model some details . Motor max power 500w. Water : IPx3. Battery: samsung/lg.

Hi!

I'm new , but I have read several/review post in this forum.Great forum ! :)

Now I have decided to buy one unicyle at low price from china.

But i'm undecided between 3-4 models, so if some can help me.. maybe there is some details on their description ...

-16 inch  motor 350watt max torque 45N  http://victec.en.alibaba.com/product/60320823190-800831664/16_inch_smart_unicycle_self_balancing_electric_scooter_with_bluetooth_wth_led.html

another link of the same http://www.aliexpress.com/item/16-inch-Mini-Bluetooth-audio-light-Single-smart-balanced-electric-standing-scooter-self-balancing-Unicycle-wheelbarrow/32440440534.html?spm=2114.031010208.3.171.BNBxXY&ws_ab_test=201407_2,201444_5,201409_4

-16inch seems this have better motor power http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-wheel-hands-free-electric-self-balancing-scooter/32440939945.html?spm=2114.031010208.3.200.phUj0t&ws_ab_test=201407_2,201444_5,201409_4

-16inch 350W http://www.dhgate.com/product/t3-black-and-multi-colour-16-quot-monocycle/239206247.html?recinfo=22,0,3#hp1507-viewed-3-5|null:0

-16inch (maybe) 300*2, 600 w ??? how can be http://www.dhgate.com/product/dhl-martian-car-self-balancing-electric-unicycle/241563737.html#minicart-2-null

I have read in this forum about battery and security BMS, so there is others details( exclude the price) that i must consider ? 350W motor is enough for a 16 inch ?

The first models are similar to ninebot and is offered by a lot of china suppliers as 16inch .. someone have it ? torque 45N is enough ?

It have the front open  ..is a problem ?

thanks in advance :)

The first one from VicTec is the one I ordered...... It has only been a week, I most likely have at least a month to go.   Sure hate the wait.  I didn't buy the cheapest, because I didn't want junk, but the price is still half of a name brand.

The first one from VicTec is the one I ordered...... It has only been a week, I most likely have at least a month to go.   Sure hate the wait.  I didn't buy the cheapest, because I didn't want junk, but the price is still half of a name brand.

Hi,

I remember vicky, one of the first supplier that i have contacted :) I hate the wait too so always i asked for express shipping. let us know how it run :)

You don't know what a relief it is hearing someone else bought from Vicky!!  As always the first time you buy from an unknown... Thanks

Sorry I haven't bought from vicky ..only contacted for specs and price.

I have deleted 90% of suppliers/manufacturers from my personal list :blink:(cxm too)

darn.....Vicky seen to be quick to respond to my questions.... so I need to try and not worry

Funny thing.  I haven't even received my tracking number, and I am already thinking Mod.  Bigger battery, shunting the board, Hell I don't even know if this wheel is going to need shunted yet.  I also like my E- Cigarettes too, and I noticed some of the clones have the upgrades before the Brand names.

Archived