Ultimate Commuter Wheel

So as many around here know, I broke my first wheel a few months ago. Since then I have picked up both an ACM2 and an MCM5. I want to talk about my experiences commuting with these two Gotways as well as practical considerations I have for any new wheels I purchase.

ACM2:

+  Range. I have a 1600wh and it has enough range to take me anywhere I'm likely to want to go.

+  Stability. Riding this compared to my MCM5 is much more capable of handling bumps and rough patches of road. Better than my KS-16s was as well.

+  Speed. This has enough headroom that I have never heard it beep. The effort to accelerate past a certain point with wind resistance and ground quality concerns make it so I never go fast enough to make it a problem. Its nice to not have to worry about it and just know the wheel can safely handle your comfortable riding patterns.

-  Trolly. By default has none. I had an aftermarket one installed by @Jason McNeil which was solid and worked well. Until I hit a very deep pothole that was nearly invisible when moving (thanks SF city streets) and sent it flying. As it bounced and tumbled along the asphalt it half tore off the trolly and what remained had been warped. I was unable to even remove this with a screwdriver as the heads had been bent and partially sheared from the twisting force of banging around and had to be removed with a prybar.

+  Durability. Well I know it can take a hit now. Even after the unfortunate incident with the trolly, it still works the same as before and I ride it sometimes on the weekends. Doesn't even really look damaged unless you inspect the shell close up and you can see the scrape marks.

-  Weight. This guy is kind of heavy - noticeably heavier than all my previous wheels. I wouldn't want to carry it very far.

MCM5

+  Weight. This thing is at least 10 lbs lighter than my ACM2.

+  Handling. Very nimble, very fast to accelerate and decelerate. Surprisingly it handles well at high speed. It feels remarkably similar to my KS-16s did. I expected it to be worse above 15-20 mph with a 14" wheel but it feels fine and I ride it all the time in this speed range.

+  Speed. Obviously not as fast as the ACM2. I do hear this one beep sometimes. Not often though. My KS-16s I heard beep literally every day. This one I get an occasional beep but much better than I expected for its size and battery (I have a 650 wh version). I would consider this wheel to be just barely fast enough and would prefer just a little more speed for more margin of safety, especially at low battery levels.

+  Trolly. The KS trolly is the gold standard but this one is usable. It's a bit stiff and hard to pull out at first. Considering the options out there I'd consider this trolly design to be 2nd only to the KS design. One thing maybe people don't realize is on a KS-16s I can lift the entire wheel off the ground over a curb with the trolly extended since it is centered and symetrical in all directions. This one I probably couldn't since it is offset although to be fair I haven't tried to do so.

+  Lift Cutoff. I've owned 5 wheels, 2 have had a lift cutoff switch. I feel like this is not necessary but it is a nice to have for me. It is not uncommon for me to have to lift it over a few steps, a flight of stairs, or a curb, into a bus, etc. I appreciate having it but could live without it.

-  Stability. I have had serious speed wobbles once and minor ones a few times. The serious one was started by going over some very bumpy/wavy/uneven asphalt while going down a moderate incline. Was a bike lane in the middle rather than the side of the road too so it was kind of scary since falling to either side would mean being in a traffic lane with cars. Fortunately, I was able to keep it upright and in control but it was not a pleasant experience.

-  Range. While I do think I would get 20ish miles out of this wheel it is a bit on the short side. Fortunately, my commute is currently only 2 miles so it is fine. Most direct commutes around SF would be under 5 miles one way so this can get you anywhere you need to go.

-  Size. This wheel essentially takes up as much space as the ACM2 and the shell is actually taller.

+/-  Magnetic pedals. The pedals are really easy to pop out with  your feet without bending over. They also pop out if the wheel goes over too large a bump or you sneeze really hard. Maybe not that last one. Probably. This is mostly good but the accidental pop out while you are trollying it around have a small chance of clipping someone else walking beside you which most of us know from experience clipping our own ankles - does not feel good.

How I see these wheels in my everyday life:

We all use our wheels in different ways. @Marty Backe and @meepmeepmayer use theirs offroad in the mountains which would have different priorities than someone like me who is mostly using it in a very urban environment to commute. I know @Tishawn Fahie uses his in the city to commute as well but his commute is significantly longer than mine. So for my perfect commuting wheel range is not actually that important. I could get by with 15 miles of range on 95% of my days. My perfect wheel would essentially be the size of a ninebot S1 but with the speed and power of the MCM5 with the trolly of a KS model. The biggest existential danger to my everyday riding is hitting bumps or surface irregularities I didn't notice or expect at medium-high speeds. So ideally it would also have high stability. 

Unfortunately, there is no such wheel. But for most of what I do the MCM5 is nearly perfect. It handles waaay better than expected at high speed, is lighter and easier to toss around than my other wheels, and has a serviceable trolly. It is also affordable compared to almost all other wheels you might consider for commuting which is helpful if you are trying to fit this into a commuting budget.

Ultimately? The KS-18L may be the closest to perfect I can find in the current market. Its bigger in nearly every dimension but thats the only thing wrong with it. KS-style trolly, cutoff switch, lighter than ACM2 (by ~5 lbs), fast enough, good balance of stability and nimbleness. The Ninebot Z10 looks intriguing, especially with its low speed agility but I'm not sure I will ever buy another wheel with an external trolly again since my ACM is basically useless now for a huge percent of my riding. I literally pick which wheel I want to use today and that one is immediately eliminated due to lack of Trolly. I may try to sell it since I can almost never justify using it now.

Anyway if you are looking for a (relatively) cheap wheel you won't outgrow too quickly that actually is also  one of the best and most practical commuter wheels on the market, give the MCM5 a look. It is much better than I expected and it is now my daily driver.

Why don't you just put another trolley on the ACM? You don't want to risk damaging it again?

For a daily commute you'd otherwise do with a bicycle, I've always figured the 16S is the perfect wheel. Not too wide and heavy, not too big, great trolley handle, otherwise unassuming and reliable. Maybe the MCM5 would work despite the 14 inch tire if you say it's remarkably similar to the 16S? Its form factor looks great for portability.  I've tried neither wheels.

The 16S is too slow for you at 35km/h?

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Why don't you just put another trolley on the ACM? You don't want to risk damaging it again?

For a daily commute you'd otherwise do with a bicycle, I've always figured the 16S is the perfect wheel. Not too wide and heavy, not too big, great trolley handle, otherwise unassuming and reliable. Maybe the MCM5 would work despite the 14 inch tire if you say it's remarkably similar to the 16S? Its form factor looks great for portability.  I've tried neither wheels.

The 16S is too slow for you at 35km/h?

The screw holes in the shell are all stripped now and I would need to make new holes. The old holes are in the perfect position and anywhere else would be sub-optimal for fit. The 16s is a little too slow yes. I have hit the 80% alarm periodically on the MCM5 which probably is around low 40s km//h. Its not a huge difference but that is where my comfortable riding speed is when on the road with bicycles and cars nearby. Sometimes I'm probably not going that fast and its the extra effort of riding into a strong headwind (which happens remarkably often here). A 16s with a safe top speed of over 25 mph would work but such a wheel does not exist. I am not theorizing though, I have been commuting on the MCM5 for over 2 months over roads that can be pretty rough at times. It handles more like a 16" than a 14" in terms of road stability. It works remarkably well but it could still be better. Upgrading to a more stable ride on our pothole and crack ridden streets would be my top priority to minimize the chance of an accidental crash but it also needs to check all the other boxes as well.

1 hour ago, electricpen said:

<snip> I'm not sure I will ever buy another wheel with an external trolly again since my ACM is basically useless now for a huge percent of my riding. I literally pick which wheel I want to use today and that one is immediately eliminated due to lack of Trolly. I may try to sell it since I can almost never justify using it now.

Anyway if you are looking for a (relatively) cheap wheel you won't outgrow too quickly that actually is also  one of the best and most practical commuter wheels on the market, give the MCM5 a look. It is much better than I expected and it is now my daily driver.

Very nice write-up. I enjoyed reading your balanced view very much. :cheers:

Just wanted to throw one last pitch in for the ACM2. For not all that much money, you know that you can buy another one of those trolley handles, right? You could consider your experience a little bit of a fluke. I have two ACMs and both my trolley handles still work. So spend $40 on a new trolley and keep that ACM2 :thumbup:

A+, after owning mcm3, acm and msuper v3s..... Now mcm5, the most I wish mcm5 had is the speed of Msuper v3s and little more battery. I don't need to go fast often but noticing now that if I need to pass by or pull away, I simply just can't :(.......

From what is available 18L, msuper v3s or X and Z10 would probably make the best commuters, comfort of 18", battery and speed (at least this is my view). I really, really like mcm5, but I do miss my Msuper v3s.

1 minute ago, electricpen said:

The screw holes in the shell are all stripped now and I would need to make new holes. The old holes are in the perfect position and anywhere else would be sub-optimal for fit. The 16s is a little too slow yes. I have hit the 80% alarm periodically on the MCM5 which probably is around low 40s km//h. Its not a huge difference but that is where my comfortable riding speed is when on the road with bicycles and cars nearby. Sometimes I'm probably not going that fast and its the extra effort of riding into a strong headwind (which happens remarkably often here). A 16s with a safe top speed of over 25 mph would work but such a wheel does not exist. I am not theorizing, I have been commuting on the MCM5 for over 2 months over road that can be pretty rough at times. It handles more like a 16" than a 14" in terms of road stability.

So, one of my trolley handles holes (on the bottom) did get pulled out from one bad fall. What did I do? I drilled out the hole and carefully installed a small 10-32 machine screw with nut. It ain't going anywhere now :D

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just wanted to throw one last pitch in for the ACM2. For not all that much money, you know that you can buy another one of those trolley handles, right? You could consider your experience a little bit of a fluke. I have two ACMs and both my trolley handles still work. So spend $40 on a new trolley and keep that ACM2 :thumbup:

Thanks Marty! We all await your production Z10 review as well I think ? Anyway as I mentioned above all the screw holes are stripped and in some cases damaged. I would need to make new holes with reasonable spacing from the old ones and I don't think I can do that while also ensuring a good fit.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

So, one of my trolley handles holes (on the bottom) did get pulled out from one bad fall. What did I do? I drilled out the hole and carefully installed a small 10-32 machine screw with nut. It ain't going anywhere now :D

I do not have the appropriate tools to do this (or most other shell modifications) unfortunately =( 

29 minutes ago, electricpen said:

Thanks Marty! We all await your production Z10 review as well I think ? Anyway as I mentioned above all the screw holes are stripped and in some cases damaged. I would need to make new holes with reasonable spacing from the old ones and I don't think I can do that while also ensuring a good fit.

I do not have the appropriate tools to do this (or most other shell modifications) unfortunately =( 

FYI, the only tool that I used to do this was a hand drill. Granted, you may not have one of those, but I just wanted to clarify for you and anyone else reading this, that an extensive collection of tools is not really needed to maintain our wheels.

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I agree. This was a fantastic write-up. The direct comparison with these two wheels was especially helpful for me because I have been looking very hard at both of them as a possible third wheel for use by my girlfriend who is tired of riding my Ninebot One E+ and having me zoom around her constantly on my MSuper V3S+ :roflmao:

I too have both MCM5 and ACM2.  I agree with OP regarding MCM5 is a great commuter especially if part of the commute involve public transportation.  The size and weight difference between ACM2 and MCM5 makes enough difference for me to take the MCM5 to work vs ACM2.  As for pure joy of ride I will take ACM2 over MCM5 for the performance and stability.  I would just get another handle if I was you.  I had to replace top two screws for trolley handle with self tapping screws, worked out great.

1 hour ago, electricpen said:

BTW, I'm going to be riding in San Francisco this coming weekend. Are you going to be able to join us on Friday or Saturday?

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, I'm going to be riding in San Francisco this coming weekend. Are you going to be able to join us on Friday or Saturday?

What time are the rides? I work on Friday during the day and finish around 5:30 pm. Saturday I have plans at 4:30 pm downtown but would be available before then.

20 minutes ago, electricpen said:

What time are the rides? I work on Friday during the day and finish around 5:30 pm. Saturday I have plans at 4:30 pm downtown but would be available before then.

@who_the is organizing the rides. The Bay Area Facebook group page has the details. The Friday evening ride is 6pm - it's also a Z10 demo.

47 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

@who_the is organizing the rides. The Bay Area Facebook group page has the details. The Friday evening ride is 6pm - it's also a Z10 demo.

I just checked the facebook page, I can make the Friday one but not the Saturday one. I'll be there to try the Z10 though!

26 minutes ago, electricpen said:

I just checked the facebook page, I can make the Friday one but not the Saturday one. I'll be there to try the Z10 though!

Cool. Be sure to introduce yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 6:45 AM, electricpen said:

The screw holes in the shell are all stripped now and I would need to make new holes. 

Fill the old holes with epoxy, let harden and re-drill...  If you don't have a drill, let it partially harden, then drive a new screw into it, back the screw out, and let it finish hardening.

Archived