Ultimate Commuter Wheel

Why don't you just put another trolley on the ACM? You don't want to risk damaging it again?

For a daily commute you'd otherwise do with a bicycle, I've always figured the 16S is the perfect wheel. Not too wide and heavy, not too big, great trolley handle, otherwise unassuming and reliable. Maybe the MCM5 would work despite the 14 inch tire if you say it's remarkably similar to the 16S? Its form factor looks great for portability.  I've tried neither wheels.

The 16S is too slow for you at 35km/h?

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Why don't you just put another trolley on the ACM? You don't want to risk damaging it again?

For a daily commute you'd otherwise do with a bicycle, I've always figured the 16S is the perfect wheel. Not too wide and heavy, not too big, great trolley handle, otherwise unassuming and reliable. Maybe the MCM5 would work despite the 14 inch tire if you say it's remarkably similar to the 16S? Its form factor looks great for portability.  I've tried neither wheels.

The 16S is too slow for you at 35km/h?

The screw holes in the shell are all stripped now and I would need to make new holes. The old holes are in the perfect position and anywhere else would be sub-optimal for fit. The 16s is a little too slow yes. I have hit the 80% alarm periodically on the MCM5 which probably is around low 40s km//h. Its not a huge difference but that is where my comfortable riding speed is when on the road with bicycles and cars nearby. Sometimes I'm probably not going that fast and its the extra effort of riding into a strong headwind (which happens remarkably often here). A 16s with a safe top speed of over 25 mph would work but such a wheel does not exist. I am not theorizing though, I have been commuting on the MCM5 for over 2 months over roads that can be pretty rough at times. It handles more like a 16" than a 14" in terms of road stability. It works remarkably well but it could still be better. Upgrading to a more stable ride on our pothole and crack ridden streets would be my top priority to minimize the chance of an accidental crash but it also needs to check all the other boxes as well.

Edited by electricpen
  • Like 1

A+, after owning mcm3, acm and msuper v3s..... Now mcm5, the most I wish mcm5 had is the speed of Msuper v3s and little more battery. I don't need to go fast often but noticing now that if I need to pass by or pull away, I simply just can't :(.......

From what is available 18L, msuper v3s or X and Z10 would probably make the best commuters, comfort of 18", battery and speed (at least this is my view). I really, really like mcm5, but I do miss my Msuper v3s.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, electricpen said:

The screw holes in the shell are all stripped now and I would need to make new holes. The old holes are in the perfect position and anywhere else would be sub-optimal for fit. The 16s is a little too slow yes. I have hit the 80% alarm periodically on the MCM5 which probably is around low 40s km//h. Its not a huge difference but that is where my comfortable riding speed is when on the road with bicycles and cars nearby. Sometimes I'm probably not going that fast and its the extra effort of riding into a strong headwind (which happens remarkably often here). A 16s with a safe top speed of over 25 mph would work but such a wheel does not exist. I am not theorizing, I have been commuting on the MCM5 for over 2 months over road that can be pretty rough at times. It handles more like a 16" than a 14" in terms of road stability.

So, one of my trolley handles holes (on the bottom) did get pulled out from one bad fall. What did I do? I drilled out the hole and carefully installed a small 10-32 machine screw with nut. It ain't going anywhere now :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very nice write-up. I enjoyed reading your balanced view very much. :cheers:

Just wanted to throw one last pitch in for the ACM2. For not all that much money, you know that you can buy another one of those trolley handles, right? You could consider your experience a little bit of a fluke. I have two ACMs and both my trolley handles still work. So spend $40 on a new trolley and keep that ACM2 :thumbup:

Thanks Marty! We all await your production Z10 review as well I think ? Anyway as I mentioned above all the screw holes are stripped and in some cases damaged. I would need to make new holes with reasonable spacing from the old ones and I don't think I can do that while also ensuring a good fit.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

So, one of my trolley handles holes (on the bottom) did get pulled out from one bad fall. What did I do? I drilled out the hole and carefully installed a small 10-32 machine screw with nut. It ain't going anywhere now :D

I do not have the appropriate tools to do this (or most other shell modifications) unfortunately =( 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, electricpen said:

Thanks Marty! We all await your production Z10 review as well I think ? Anyway as I mentioned above all the screw holes are stripped and in some cases damaged. I would need to make new holes with reasonable spacing from the old ones and I don't think I can do that while also ensuring a good fit.

I do not have the appropriate tools to do this (or most other shell modifications) unfortunately =( 

FYI, the only tool that I used to do this was a hand drill. Granted, you may not have one of those, but I just wanted to clarify for you and anyone else reading this, that an extensive collection of tools is not really needed to maintain our wheels.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very nice write-up. I enjoyed reading your balanced view very much. :cheers:

I agree. This was a fantastic write-up. The direct comparison with these two wheels was especially helpful for me because I have been looking very hard at both of them as a possible third wheel for use by my girlfriend who is tired of riding my Ninebot One E+ and having me zoom around her constantly on my MSuper V3S+ :roflmao:

• Like 3

I too have both MCM5 and ACM2.  I agree with OP regarding MCM5 is a great commuter especially if part of the commute involve public transportation.  The size and weight difference between ACM2 and MCM5 makes enough difference for me to take the MCM5 to work vs ACM2.  As for pure joy of ride I will take ACM2 over MCM5 for the performance and stability.  I would just get another handle if I was you.  I had to replace top two screws for trolley handle with self tapping screws, worked out great.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, electricpen said:

BTW, I'm going to be riding in San Francisco this coming weekend. Are you going to be able to join us on Friday or Saturday?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, I'm going to be riding in San Francisco this coming weekend. Are you going to be able to join us on Friday or Saturday?

What time are the rides? I work on Friday during the day and finish around 5:30 pm. Saturday I have plans at 4:30 pm downtown but would be available before then.

20 minutes ago, electricpen said:

What time are the rides? I work on Friday during the day and finish around 5:30 pm. Saturday I have plans at 4:30 pm downtown but would be available before then.

@who_the is organizing the rides. The Bay Area Facebook group page has the details. The Friday evening ride is 6pm - it's also a Z10 demo.

47 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

@who_the is organizing the rides. The Bay Area Facebook group page has the details. The Friday evening ride is 6pm - it's also a Z10 demo.

I just checked the facebook page, I can make the Friday one but not the Saturday one. I'll be there to try the Z10 though!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, electricpen said:

I just checked the facebook page, I can make the Friday one but not the Saturday one. I'll be there to try the Z10 though!

Cool. Be sure to introduce yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 6:45 AM, electricpen said:

The screw holes in the shell are all stripped now and I would need to make new holes. 

Fill the old holes with epoxy, let harden and re-drill...  If you don't have a drill, let it partially harden, then drive a new screw into it, back the screw out, and let it finish hardening.

Edited by Thai-lad
  • Like 1