Jump to content
Nick McCutcheon

ACM2 after 1-2 weeks: first impressions/review

Recommended Posts

Yeah, to less tire pressure? show us photos of crack and bents....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool write-up:thumbup:

About your tire rim:

  • Before you speculate any further, ask @Jason McNeil whether this is a warranty thing, or if there's something else he can do.
  • I had a bent rim too (info in this thread, and link to my original thread in the first reply). For me it happened one moment without apparent reason, so don't blame yourself too much, it seems to be more of a random thing that can happen. Some stupid pine cone isn't that hard. Probably mostly bad luck. Or maybe the metal already had a weak point from the start.
    I also got some cracks when bending it back, but these are absolutely no problem. Sad to hear yours apparently are a problem and you get more rim bending now. I would not worry too much about further damaging the rim. Either it happes, then you need a new motor anyways, or it doesn't happen and you're good. So ride and see.
    You can do Hunka's epoxy idea, I did that too, but I think it's more psychologically calming than actually doing anything. Can't hurt though. If you have a wobble afterwards, it might be the epoxy itself, sand it back until the wobble is gone.
  • (And some photos would be nice, though your case seems clear.)
Edited by meepmeepmayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I had bent rims on my 14 inchers, I believe I was able to bend them back in shape with a hammer after heating them up with a torch. But it was so long ago I already don’t remember the details. I remember looking for a car repair shop that can fix bent rims only to find there were very few, they charged over $100 and didn’t guarantee the result. So I think I was able to do it myself. Just be careful with the torch so as not to affect the magnets in the motor - only heat up very locally.

Edit: yeah use rubber hammer if possible

Edited by Cloud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh that is a real crack:eff05cf9bc: I thought you meant more like hairline cracks (I have two of those). Makes sense that this won't hold for long. A new motor it is, I guess. Though that kind of damage should be under warranty, it's not bent from some impact, it's broken from something minor!

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Uh that is a real crack:eff05cf9bc: I thought you meant more like hairline cracks (I have two of those). Makes sense that this won't hold for long. A new motor it is, I guess. Though that kind of damage should be under warranty, it's not bent from some impact, it's broken from something minor!

Yep, I feared that this crack was too major. I found some metal JB weld that I’ll try and apply tonight so it can cure overnight (takes 4-6 hours to cure). I emailed ewheels, I’ll see what they say. My only worry is that I may have voided the warranty by trying to fix it... Agh what a mess I’ve gotten myself into. At least I still have the 14D!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I would quote you all, but that would take up too much space. I’ll see if I have any metal JB weld left, but like @meepmeepmayer said, I’m not sure how much that would do structurally. And yeah, I guess the only option is to keep riding and see how long I can go before possibly needing a new motor. Here are pics. And yeah, I’ll email Jason and see what thinks. 

That is a substantial crack :efee96588e:

Can you tell us your tire pressure is? If it's >40-psi there's no way something like that should happen from running over a pine cone. Except for that, you didn't hit a curb hard or anything else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotway and their sub-par materials and dodgy electronics really worry me. I suppose in such a niche market it doesn't pay to make things last as how many would by another?

Currently my ACM2 seems to be playing nice and I've had no spills or problems. Hopefully I will get a decent run out of this ACM but I'm keep a close watch on the Ninebot One Z10. So far I've seen and heard some good things and want to see how the retail units perform but I'm thinking my next wheel, and any that follow, likely won't be a Gotway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I weigh 180 when riding, and my tire pressure was 40-42 psi. And yeah, I’m pretty sure warranty is out the window at this point. I’ll see what ewheels says about getting a new motor. 

Before attempted repair, the bend looked like this (pic from @Tbx Nicolas) but less severe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick, after re-reading your paragraph about the rim problems, I'm beginning to think that maybe you've been riding the wheel too hard? You talk about riding off of sidewalks onto the street, and all the off-road riding. Are you riding the wheel fast when on the trails? And jumping off of curbs is something I always try and avoid. If I recall you said that you're close to 200-pounds? That's tough on any wheel.

And again, what tire pressure? At your weight I hope it's been in the mid-40's psi.

This is all to say that when you eventually get your wheel running again, try to avoiding hard, jarring motions with the wheel.

Replacing the ACM motor is not hard. Probably a couple hours of dedicated work and a few hundred dollars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nick McCutcheon said:

I weigh 180 when riding, and my tire pressure was 40-42 psi. And yeah, I’m pretty sure warranty is out the window at this point. I’ll see what ewheels says about getting a new motor. 

Before attempted repair, the bend looked like this (pic from @Tbx Nicolas) but less severe. 

Oh, OK, not too heavy, but not a light weight either :D

That is a major bend. I really find it hard to believe the a pine cone could do this. Maybe there was a hidden rock that you didn't see? Guess we'll never know. 

Looking at the bright side, maybe you've just gotten rid of all your future bad luck, and now you're in for a long stretch of good weather, so to speak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Oh, OK, not too heavy, but not a light weight either :D

That is a major bend. I really find it hard to believe the a pine cone could do this. Maybe there was a hidden rock that you didn't see? Guess we'll never know. 

Looking at the bright side, maybe you've just gotten rid of all your future bad luck, and now you're in for a long stretch of good weather, so to speak.

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Nick, after re-reading your paragraph about the rim problems, I'm beginning to think that maybe you've been riding the wheel too hard? You talk about riding off of sidewalks onto the street, and all the off-road riding. Are you riding the wheel fast when on the trails? And jumping off of curbs is something I always try and avoid. If I recall you said that you're close to 200-pounds? That's tough on any wheel.

And again, what tire pressure? At your weight I hope it's been in the mid-40's psi.

This is all to say that when you eventually get your wheel running again, try to avoiding hard, jarring motions with the wheel.

Replacing the ACM motor is not hard. Probably a couple hours of dedicated work and a few hundred dollars.

I found a crushed-looking pinecone when scanning the area, but it is very possible I missed something. This was at night, after all. Let’s hope all the bad luck is out of the way! At this point I’m just waiting to see what ewheels says about how much a motor will cost.

I don’t go fast on trails for fear of hitting big bumps (how ironic this is now), and I really only go off curbs if I find myself barreling towards them and unable to stop in time (when turning corners or going through unfamiliar areas, for example). So, not very often. Admittedly I probably push the wheel a tad bit further than some, but not to the point where I would expect a failure. I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even people riding on two wheels experience these rim bends.  Considering that their weight is shared between two tires I think electric unicyclists should ride with higher pressure to avoid similar damage.  All our weight is concentrated on a single contact point.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/how-does-rim-damage-happen.1183760/

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, electricpen said:

While Gotway has had their problems I'm fairly sure all the manufacturers have similar rim construction. I had a bend even worse than this one on a KS-16s which most people consider pretty bulletproof. I kept riding this one btw after attempting to straighten it and eventually the tire lost the ability to hold air. I suspect it was from this but it might have been from glass laceration in the tire. There is, unfortunately, a lot of broken glass on the ground in some parts of the city where I live. Anyway just wanted to point out this is not a Gotway issue, any time you hit a bump going fast enough this can happen to your rims. This damage pictured below was from hitting a raised crack in a sidewalk while going a little too fast :whistling:

 

Ouch at that rim damage. I've gone up a few curbs and bumped the rim (lets me know I need more air lol) and as for glass... my route to work usually includes a couple of subways and on the ramp out there's often broken glass I need to dodge. So far where tires are concerned I've had no punctures in around 2.5years of riding on 4 wheels now.
My comment regarding Gotway's sub-par materials and dodgy electronics isn't just this rim issue but their axle on the original ACM snapping and shim? problems for some (on the Monster), plus the poor Monster case design (I dropped mine on the second day of owning it and the top handle/light area was a mess), pedals snapping, the axle nut loosening, MOSFET's blowing, wires melting, chargers smoking (MSuper X 100v) etc. It could be that Gotways are most popular so there look to be more problems but they haven't done themselves any favours.

Anyway, after seeing all the Ninebot One Z10 video's, and Marty's opinion on it, I'll be keeping an eye on it and it, or something like it, could be my next wheel. I'm hoping for a good year or two with my ACM2, because it's my favourite wheel of the 4 so far, before I change so plenty of time for others to release similar wheels and compare. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have change a rim on an ACM there is 2 weeks, it's not very complicated. the difficults is:

- have a rim (asks to a dealer)
- Disassemble a flask (I hope that's the right word), the ball bearings may not want to quit the axle ?
- Be carrefull to yours fingers when you put the new rim.....The magnets are very strong!!! ?

Edited by Hansolo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or you can unleash all your hanger toward people by hitting hard the rim with a hammer. This can work however I will not be responsible for further damages ?. Heatig the bend point could help to put it back more easily. 

If a crack has form inside, straightening the rim will still leave the eadge of the crack cutting the inner tube. I made a successful repair one time by hammering the crack spot once back into place to smooth it out. No flat time occured. But since the rim was replaced because the rider kept on bending his rim... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:33 AM, Nick McCutcheon said:

I went on a 42 mile trip the other day, and I still had 15% left when I got home.

May i ask you what your weight is? I am getting similar results with the ACM2 i recently got. about 15% left after 40 miles. I was hoping to squeeze about 50 miles out of it. Of course i am not always riding 20kmh at perfect conditions, so i shouldnt complain... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Cloud said:

May i ask you what your weight is? I am getting similar results with the ACM2 i recently got. about 15% left after 40 miles. I was hoping to squeeze about 50 miles out of it. Of course i am not always riding 20kmh at perfect conditions, so i shouldnt complain... 

Wow, you guys must always be racing. My ACM2 is a minimum 50-mile wheel, with a mix of riding conditions and not going particularly slow, but also not riding at >22-mph all of the time. Riding weight is 175-pounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, you guys must always be racing. My ACM2 is a minimum 50-mile wheel, with a mix of riding conditions and not going particularly slow, but also not riding at >22-mph all of the time. Riding weight is 175-pounds.

Well i am around 190 these days, i guess 195 with clothes, so the range is understandibly shorter, traveling at around 20mph most of the time...i will keep trying to make the 50mile mark - do you drain th battery to almot zero at 50miles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...