ACM2 after 1-2 weeks: first impressions/review

Nick McCutcheon

11 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Well i am around 190 these days, i guess 195 with clothes, so the range is understandibly shorter, traveling at around 20mph most of the time...i will keep trying to make the 50mile mark - do you drain th battery to almot zero at 50miles?

At 50-miles I have ~25% battery remaining.

The MSX, with the same battery, is giving me similar results. My first ride this Saturday was 50-miles and I ended with ~17% battery under riding load. However, the battery was at 90-percent charge when I started.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

At 50-miles I have ~25% battery remaining.

The MSX, with the same battery, is giving me similar results. My first ride this Saturday was 50-miles and I ended with ~17% battery under riding load. However, the battery was at 90-percent charge when I started.

damn.....why cant i have the same results

15 minutes ago, Cloud said:

damn.....why cant i have the same results

I wonder if it's your speed (plus added weight).

For instance, if you look at my MSX 50-mile ride (3-hours 15-minutes) you'll see that my average speed over this entire ride was ~15-mph.

Maybe record your riding to see how hard you are really riding your wheel.

Here is a summary of my ride along with a higher resolution of the speeds ridden. Also notice that this included a climb of ~500-feet.

Geo-Tracker-2018-07-29-12-27-05

Screenshot_20180729-122730

Yes I should. Actually darknessbot shows my average speed at 12 mph , hmmm.   I am not riding the wheel hard but it’s not all in a straight line either , with some moderate acceleration/ braking. I ve noticed ( and it could be deceiving) that when I get a new wheel the first about 3 full charge cycles give me a smaller range than the following ones, I am on my 2nd now , so we shall see. When I got the wheel the batteries were at almost zero, hoping that stored that way for a few months didn’t affect it that much. Need some more testing . Loving the wheel though. Not a free style wheel but an awesome cruiser!

7 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Yes I should. Actually darknessbot shows my average speed at 12 mph , hmmm.   I am not riding the wheel hard but it’s not all in a straight line either , with some moderate acceleration/ braking. I ve noticed ( and it could be deceiving) that when I get a new wheel the first about 3 full charge cycles give me a smaller range than the following ones, I am on my 2nd now , so we shall see. When I got the wheel the batteries were at almost zero, hoping that stored that way for a few months didn’t affect it that much. Need some more testing . Loving the wheel though. Not a free style wheel but an awesome cruiser!

Hopefully your mileage will increase. Your added weight will for sure affect the bottom line.

Definitely not a freestyle wheel :)  Glad that you are enjoying it, and early days still. Wait until you have a few hundred miles under your belt - hurry up btw, your summer is almost gone :unsure:

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Hopefully your mileage will increase. Your added weight will for sure affect the bottom line.

Definitely not a freestyle wheel :)  Glad that you are enjoying it, and early days still. Wait until you have a few hundred miles under your belt - hurry up btw, your summer is almost gone :unsure:

Will do! In any case the only objective test would be to fly you out here to NYC so you can ride it for 50 plus miles! Until then, the veil of mystery with reign upon it.

Alright, I’ve just received the new motor from ewheels (thanks Jason for working with my situation!) It looks good, but I’ve JB welded the crack and the surrounding areas on the current motor pretty good, so I’ll keep using the current motor until it becomes broken beyond any hope of repair, which hopefully is in a long while. Like @meepmeepmayer said, either it doesn’t break and I’m fine, or it breaks and I replace it. Simple as that. I just wanted to get a replacement motor in as soon as possible, because I’m not sure if the rim will fail in a matter of days, weeks, months, or longer, and I’d like to be able to make the swap without having to wait for shipping when the time comes. No point in wasting a functional motor right?

Also, my trolley handle kit just arrived with the motor. I’m excited to put it on and start wheeling it around!

1 minute ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Alright, I’ve just received the new motor from ewheels (thanks Jason for working with my situation!) It looks good, but I’ve JB welded the crack and the surrounding areas on the current motor pretty good, so I’ll keep using the current motor until it becomes broken beyond any hope of repair, which hopefully is in a long while. Like @meepmeepmayer said, either it doesn’t break and I’m fine, or it breaks and I replace it. Simple as that. I just wanted to get a replacement motor in as soon as possible, because I’m not sure if the rim will fail in a matter of days, weeks, months, or longer, and I’d like to be able to make the swap without having to wait for shipping when the time comes. No point in wasting a functional motor right?

Also, my trolley handle kit just arrived with the motor. I’m excited to put it on and start wheeling it around!

Very nice, and nice that EWheels stocks spare parts. Most of us never get a bent/cracked rim, so hopefully you've gotten this out of your system ;)

Here's to many trouble free miles ahead :cheers:

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Very nice, and nice that EWheels stocks spare parts. Most of us never get a bent/cracked rim, so hopefully you've gotten this out of your system ;)

Here's to many trouble free miles ahead :cheers:

Let’s hope! Also, I forgot to ask, do you (or anyone else) know what size the drill bit should be for the trolley handle holes? I think I’ve got the right size but I just want to be sure. 

1 minute ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Let’s hope! Also, I forgot to ask, do you (or anyone else) know what size the drill bit should be for the trolley handle holes? I think I’ve got the right size but I just want to be sure. 

No. But the rule of thumb is to use a drill bit that is the same diameter of the shaft of the screw.

I was browsing through this thread and was a bit surprised with some of the range numbers some of you are getting.... I went on a 46 mile ride on my 18S 1680,  @JES was on his super with a 1300 battery... I got back with 46% left and he had around 28%. We were averaging around 17-18 mph, all flat and paved paths...

I should have my ACM 1600 next week and I expect numbers in the 50 miles or so... seems like all the math supports that as well as Marty's results... ??

We all ride so differently, others’ range numbers mean nothing. I’m 95kg and I like to ride trails with very steep sections, I tend to accelerate pretty well, and usually ride past 40km/h when the road or trail is clear. I get 60-65km from my 1600Wh MSX on hard mode at 2.7 bars. I’m now switching to medium mode to see if it makes as much difference as it does on the 16S.

On the 16S modded to 1020Wh, I got 50km. 1600Wh should mean a lot more than 65km, but I do admit I love to utilize the power and speed the MSX has, especially on the steepest of uphills...

On 8/2/2018 at 4:12 PM, Nick McCutcheon said:

When I installed my trolly handle I did not use a drill bit at all as they are fine point screws going into plastic so it wasn't needed. That said, if using a drill bit always use one size smaller than the screw you are using, for example 1/4" screws you would use a 3/16" bit. 

Archived