Jump to content
Marty Backe

Unable to put Slime in MSuper X Tire???

Recommended Posts

I received my MSuper X today, but when I attempted to put Slime it the tube, nothing goes in.

I've read that there can be something in the tube at only allows air to flow into the tube under high pressure. I don't know if this is a manufacturing defect in the tube or some tube come with this 'feature'

For now I'll have to ride with no Slime in this wheel, but I would be very interested if anyone knows anymore about this symptom. Also, has any MSuper X owners out there been able to add Slime to their tire.

I have fed a flexible piece of plastic thru the valve stem and can feel it go through something that feels like a membrane. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I received my MSuper X today, but when I attempted to put Slime it the tube, nothing goes in.

I've read that there can be something in the tube at only allows air to flow into the tube under high pressure. I don't know if this is a manufacturing defect in the tube or some tube come with this 'feature'

For now I'll have to ride with no Slime in this wheel, but I would be very interested if anyone knows anymore about this symptom. Also, has any MSuper X owners out there been able to add Slime to their tire.

I have fed a flexible piece of plastic thru the valve stem and can feel it go through something that feels like a membrane. 

is it just a schrader valve not heard of any tyre with an airlock system ,it should just pump straight in especially if you can get a tube down .. you did take the cap off the slime lol ?..

seriously though you shouldn't have a problem I've always used slime in all my bikes I've  never known an issue where it won't go in plus I'm getting my msx soon and that's the first thing I'm going to do..

I'm sure you'll keep us updated good luck and hope it's a nice ride ?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Edited by nte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stephen said:

is it just a schrader valve not heard of any tyre with an airlock system ,it should just pump straight in especially if you can get a tube down .. you did take the cap off the slime lol ?..

seriously though you shouldn't have a problem I've always used slime in all my bikes I've  never known an issue where it won't go in plus I'm getting my msx soon and that's the first thing I'm going to do..

I'm sure you'll keep us updated good luck and hope it's a nice ride ?

 

I've put Slime in all my wheels - even have a video on doing it. Impossible on my MSX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no issues Gooping the tube on my MSX. I haven’t used Slime, but it can’t be thicker than Goop. It’s like a thick lumpy yoghurt.

Although I did have similar issues on a previous tube with a Zefal sealant. Turned out the Zefal itself had dried in it’s bottle.

Like Zefal, Slime is latex-based and does dry up eventually. Perhaps there is a dried lump in the Slime bottle as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I had no issues Gooping the tube on my MSX. I haven’t used Slime, but it can’t be thicker than Goop. It’s like a thick lumpy yoghurt.

Although I did have similar issues on a previous tube with a Zefal sealant. Turned out the Zefal itself had dried in it’s bottle.

Like Zefal, Slime is latex-based and does dry up eventually. Perhaps there is a dried lump in the Slime bottle as well?

Thanks. But no, this is a pretty fresh bottle. I think it's a defect in the tube during the manufacturing process when the valve stem is added. As mentioned, I can stick a piece of plastic down the stem and feel some stiff resistance and then it gives way, whatever the "it" is.

But at least your answer tells me it's not something with all the MSX tubes since you could fill yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

But at least your answer tells me it's not something with all the MSX tubes since you could fill yours.

It is possible that GW has sourced different tubes for different batches. But I also have never seen or heard of a kind of a secondary valve after the actual valve.

Although a leftover piece of rubber from the molding might not be out of the question either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks like your going to have to stick the straw down and inject the slime in with a shringe? at least it won't come back out lol ? just don't put to much air in cause if you want to let more air out it might just seal the hole up?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a similar problem in the past with a wheelbarrow wheel. It already had a puncture and I was just trying to use the Oko tyre sealant that I use to fix it.

I ended up replacing the tube but out of general curiosity I investigated the problem tube. It looked as if the valve was attached to the tube and the hole pierced through afterwards and on this one it was a small straight split which tended to close up under tension.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

It is possible that GW has sourced different tubes for different batches. But I also have never seen or heard of a kind of a secondary valve after the actual valve.

Although a leftover piece of rubber from the molding might not be out of the question either.

Take a look at @Gimlet's response. I think that's what has happened in my wheel. It's not a secondary valve but a defect in the inner tub manufacturing process. Bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martys Slime tips save a life!

 

So I've been preparing today for tomorrows speedy feet group ride - whilst buying waterproof overalls, I saw the slime... And thought, I'll take some of that with me (in case of puncture).... 
Watching your review videos, I realised it's best practice to add the slime now - then if flat, remove the foreign object and simply re-inflate. 
- Makes more sense than carrying the slime / puncture repair kits....

The plastic tool (to remove the valve insert) worked on my 'practice' spare tube - but wouldn't turn the MSX inner tube. 
As I headded  back to the store - on the main road there was a tan coloured collie dicing with the traffic. I pulled the car across both lanes and called the dog over. 
Cars were swerving and sounding their horns - the dog was quite distressed.  I was able to get the dog into the car and take him to a local animal shelter. 
If we hadn't of been there, some of the impatient drivers may well have run the dog over! 

When we got home I removed the valve and filled the tube with slime - then spent the next half hour cleaning the dog hairs out of the wifes car! 

Let's hope for an uneventful group ride tomorrow!
Thanks @Marty Backe

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scully said:

Martys Slime tips save a life!

 

So I've been preparing today for tomorrows speedy feet group ride - whilst buying waterproof overalls, I saw the slime... And thought, I'll take some of that with me (in case of puncture).... 
Watching your review videos, I realised it's best practice to add the slime now - then if flat, remove the foreign object and simply re-inflate. 
- Makes more sense than carrying the slime / puncture repair kits....

The plastic tool (to remove the valve insert) worked on my 'practice' spare tube - but wouldn't turn the MSX inner tube. 
As I headded  back to the store - on the main road there was a tan coloured collie dicing with the traffic. I pulled the car across both lanes and called the dog over. 
Cars were swerving and sounding their horns - the dog was quite distressed.  I was able to get the dog into the car and take him to a local animal shelter. 
If we hadn't of been there, some of the impatient drivers may well have run the dog over! 

When we got home I removed the valve and filled the tube with slime - then spent the next half hour cleaning the dog hairs out of the wifes car! 

Let's hope for an uneventful group ride tomorrow!
Thanks @Marty Backe

Very nice story. Thanks for that. I love animals so this makes me happy :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jack Frost said:

FYI i got slime in my msx too no problems 

Thanks.

I'm just going to have to wait for my first flat and replace the inner tube. When I do that I'll dissect the valve area to see what was causing the blockage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Thanks.

I'm just going to have to wait for my first flat and replace the inner tube. When I do that I'll dissect the valve area to see what was causing the blockage.

I thought about adding slime to my MSX but i haven't yet. I really should.

 

Today I was thinking about how much it would probably take to pop that big tire, and also who would be the first (unlucky) person to make the initial MSX tire change video... I hope it isn't me :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Marty. What if you try using something like a paperclip to push that 'membrane' open and squeeze the Slime in after that? It might work. Or you can use a straw maybe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Esper said:

Hey Marty. What if you try using something like a paperclip to push that 'membrane' open and squeeze the Slime in after that? It might work. Or you can use a straw maybe.

I tried a bunch of stuff. A big problem is the bent valve which makes it impossible to use options like a straw. I have managed to press a flexible stick down the valve stem and can free it hit a wall of resistance before "popping" through. So there's definitely a piece of rubber that's in the way but only allows high pressure to pass.

I'm afraid that I'm stuck until I get a flat and have to replace the tube. Just hope the flat doesn't occur when I'm miles from a road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought, did you try to push the Slime in while the flexible stick was holding the membrane open? The stick might not make a big enough opening though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Just a thought, did you try to push the Slime in while the flexible stick was holding the membrane open? The stick might not make a big enough opening though.

No, the logistics just doesn't make that possible. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got my Msuper x on Friday and I put slime in it just as Marty showed me in the video with no problems. This is my very first Electric unicycle experience and the first day was extremely hard for me on the learning side of it, but day two when I finally got the feel for things it was incredible. I love this thing and I am strongly considering getting another wheel already lol 25EA4677-8DB9-466D-B74D-44B7B84365CB.thumb.jpeg.b6bfac9340db6402074e9777df6465f9.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Scooter Man Fran said:

I just got my Msuper x on Friday and I put slime in it just as Marty showed me in the video with no problems. This is my very first Electric unicycle experience and the first day was extremely hard for me on the learning side of it, but day two when I finally got the feel for things it was incredible. I love this thing and I am strongly considering getting another wheel already lol 25EA4677-8DB9-466D-B74D-44B7B84365CB.thumb.jpeg.b6bfac9340db6402074e9777df6465f9.jpeg

You picked a great first wheel. You won't be outgrowing any time soon :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea it’s a blast. I have to figure out how to not hold the wheel with my inner leg so much but yea I love it.  Anyone who has made a video and uploaded it to YouTube on the Msuper X I thank you very much for helping me with my decision. Z10 might be up next for me as a pretty wheel, seeing how day one of learning caused me to bang and bruise up my new msx. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scooter Man Fran said:

Yea it’s a blast. I have to figure out how to not hold the wheel with my inner leg so much but yea I love it.  Anyone who has made a video and uploaded it to YouTube on the Msuper X I thank you very much for helping me with my decision. Z10 might be up next for me as a pretty wheel, seeing how day one of learning caused me to bang and bruise up my new msx. 

It would be interesting to see how a beginner adjusts to the different riding styles (Z10 vs. MSX).

A lot of experienced riders have commented on how they had to re-learn (or un-learn) how to ride other wheels to master the Z10. (I hear it's difficult for many of them to switch back and forth...)

Edited by RayRay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been able to put the slime in MSX but it was little strange that it coming back up :blink:, never the less it went in, all good here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RayRay said:

It would be interesting to see how a beginner adjusts to the different riding styles (Z10 vs. MSX).

A lot of experienced riders have commented on how they had to re-learn (or un-learn) how to ride other wheels to master the Z10. (I hear it's difficult for many of them to switch back and forth...)

It really depends on your experience. I have a lot of experience on the Monster and Mten3. Both those wheels translate very well to the Z10. If you don't have similar experience, the Z10 will take much more adjusting to.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×