Puncture proof tyres

nute

This is a picture of the tyre on a KS18L, "anti puncture" & "defend shield" .... anyone know anything about these, do they work? I was about to slime mine but didn't as i don't now anything about these. 

DSC09232.JPG

47 minutes ago, nute said:

This is a picture of the tyre on a KS18L, "anti puncture" & "defend shield" .... anyone know anything about these, do they work? I was about to slime mine but didn't as i don't now anything about these. 

I can't speak for that brand but I have Schwalbe Marathon tires on my Brompton running about 80-100 psi. Never had a puncture in over 3000 miles. They have a layer of protective material embedded below the tire tread to prevent objects penetrating into the innertube.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-reader/marathon.html

Despite Slime being a permanent repair, I do not think they are because tires that I've used Slim and then punctured always seem to lose air. It might be a relatively slow leak, but once punctured tires always seem to lose half their pressure after a week or so.

I do have to replace the valve core rather often. Specifically, the action of removing the air pump head blows Slime out the valve, and eventually the Slime gets stuck around the valve core, forcing the valve permanently open.

I'm rather skeptical of Slime. I do not use it on my bicycle because the inner tube is relatively easy to replace. A wheel, though, is an absolute bitch to replace innertubes even if you have all your tools in a comfortable living room. God have mercy on your soul if you get a flat on the road, have an innertubes, and have hand tools. Just Uber it back home.

Slime would be irrelevant if we could access the entire rim of the wheel without tools. Then all you would need is the spare innertubes and tire irons.

Archived