first time buyer, short commute, big hills

FlyboyEUC

If you plan to ride 17% grades a lot there are some issues you might have to know.

On a low battery you could get the machine to cut out if yo are trying to go faster than what the battery can supply to keeo you upright.

Another issue is to go downhill on a full battery. These wheels brake literally by charging the battery. If the battery is fully charged you can get into a situation where the braking power has nowhere to go and the wheel cuts out. This was a problem on older wheels but should be somewhat safe now. I personally don't know how they solved it though (if they did).

/a

On 8/3/2018 at 6:11 AM, Flyboy10 said:

How reliable are they in the long run, like 2+ years?

I rode 9000+ km on a 16S, and besides a dead charger the only actual reliability issue was a snapped pedal arm bolt at 8000km (@ 1 year). I am 95kg naked, and ride a lot off road. Wouldn’t worry about it.

Ok guys. I'm planning on buying the Kingsong 14D later this week. Please let me know if anyone wants to sell me theirs, or has any last minute advice.

On 8/3/2018 at 5:44 PM, Flyboy10 said:

So you are wanting to sell? What is your price? And did I understand you correctly in that you are selling it because you fell?

Yes I am wanting to sell. Recently got into HiFi audio so it is not cheap... (I seem to find the most expensive hobbies) And yep, I took a good spill and don't have the want to ride anymore. 

I can ship in the US. I bought it from someone on the forum used about a month/2months ago for $520 shipped. I've added a few scratches, but its just to the shell which you can buy off of ewheels. I'm wanting 500 Shipped but if thats not possible let me know and I'll see if we can work something out. 

9 hours ago, TrevoraNewell said:

Recently got into HiFi audio so it is not cheap...

Be careful, a lot of snake oil in that business. It’s sometimes better (and a lot cheaper) to go with pro studio audio than consumer HiFi.

9 hours ago, TrevoraNewell said:

I took a good spill and don't have the want to ride anymore.

Sorry to hear that! Same happened with my older brother, his knee is still bothering him a year after a low speed overlean on a Lhotz. If we’d just known to wear suitable protection right from the start...

Hope you’ll get back to riding some day!

On 8/8/2018 at 9:29 AM, mrelwood said:

Be careful, a lot of snake oil in that business. It’s sometimes better (and a lot cheaper) to go with pro studio audio than consumer HiFi.

Sorry to hear that! Same happened with my older brother, his knee is still bothering him a year after a low speed overlean on a Lhotz. If we’d just known to wear suitable protection right from the start...

Hope you’ll get back to riding some day!

Sorry for going offtopic but I agree that studio audio, small and high quality monitors by far trumps these big heavy behemoth speakers/amps that we buy instead. The quality is on a different level. The price is much cheaper too.

9 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Sorry for going offtopic but I agree that studio audio, small and high quality monitors by far trumps these big heavy behemoth speakers/amps that we buy instead. The quality is on a different level. The price is much cheaper too.

Im looking at headphones right now! 

Im looking at the Sennheiser HD650s... heard they are great. Also need to get a amp/dac combo so thats my new interest haha.

i have a King Song 14D and ride it up hills everyday. One thing to keep in mind is that only 50% of the battery is "usable." After you go below 50% your hill climbing speed starts dropping and you may find it no fun to ride. I tend to recharge my wheel once it gets below 45% or so.

11 hours ago, xafofo said:

After you go below 50% your hill climbing speed starts dropping and you may find it no fun to ride.

Good point. While the speed doesn’t get reduced until the battery goes below 30% on KS wheels, you can easily go below 30% during an uphill (or just accelerating hard) even when your battery shows 50% at rest.

I have now ridden the MSX for about 1400km, and I’m still unaware how hard it is safe for me to push it when the battery gets lower. I want to know the limit, but I don’t plan on finding out, if you know what I mean...

I don't think the machine cuts out if you try exploring the edge on a low battery, it only starts to sag and is sluggishly trying to stay underneath you. Kind of like hesitating a bit. I get the feeling the motor is asking more than the batteries can supply then.

I'd be more cautious with trying to explore full battery limits as this will really play with the control board limits.

22% grade is about 12 degrees.  I ride this daily on my old Lhotz.  I do have to weave a bit, and take it slow, but I'm also heavier than you (170lb).

For any type of commute, I'd personally recommend a 16 inch wheel.  I think this is a great balance between comfort and practical size.

At a reasonable price point, I recently recommended the Solowheel Glide 3 (rebranded Inmotion V8) to my son.  He's using it for his commute.  It has better stats than my old Lhotz, and now that Solowheel has reduced the price (closer to the original V8 price), I think it's a very good option.  Looks like $899 at ewheels.com (for another 9 hours).

Of course if money isn't an issue, the KS16S is awesome (although I'm not a fan of the whining noise) and the Tesla is pretty sweet.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update, the KS 14D is working perfectly for the hills. I can make 2 round trips to work on a single charge. Riding downtown is pretty fun with all the people and cars staring at you. I stay in the street 100% of the time (legal reasons). A coworker got an electric skateboard the same time I did and already has found it's flaws. He is much more impressed by the EUC.

I have had wobbles sometimes at times when my legs feel weak. Any exercises or streches to help build my EUC muscles? 

Sincerely, 

An EUC convert.

17 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

Just as an update, the KS 14D is working perfectly for the hills. I can make 2 round trips to work on a single charge. Riding downtown is pretty fun with all the people and cars staring at you. I stay in the street 100% of the time (legal reasons). A coworker got an electric skateboard the same time I did and already has found it's flaws. He is much more impressed by the EUC.

I have had wobbles sometimes at times when my legs feel weak. Any exercises or streches to help build my EUC muscles? 

Sincerely, 

An EUC convert.

Good to hear.

Exercises? Just lots of riding. And the longer your rides, the more endurance you'll build, just like muscles.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have a KS 14D parts list? All the screws wiggled out of my handle and now it doesn't function. I have one screw and will probably stop by a computer store to see if I can get a few extra. It would be nice to know what size they were.

1 minute ago, Flyboy10 said:

Anybody have a KS 14D parts list? All the screws wiggled out of my handle and now it doesn't function. I have one screw and will probably stop by a computer store to see if I can get a few extra. It would be nice to know what size they were.

Many people would give a tooth for a parts list from any manufacturer. They don't exist.

But someone may know what size screw is used. Kind of funny that you rode the wheel until all the screws fell out of the wheel. You need to inspect the wheel a little more often :P

Archived