Buying New Tesla, any mods or issues to be aware of?

Buying a 1020wh Gotway Tesla from Green Fashion on AliExpress. 

Can someone knowledge about Tesla tell me what has upgraded from the first batch of teslas. 

Also maybe some mods and known issues I should be aware of? Thank you!

I have owned an IPS Zero for 3 years with 1000km on it, so a Tesla is definitely an upgrade

Just the normal ones,

Don't accelerate through gravel at high speeds,
Don't go too fast on unfamiliar roads,
Wear protective gear,

Also, you need to unlock the top speed as they are locked out of box.

As for anything hardware related,
The shell is VERY VERY thin and weak. So be careful with any damage. I would recommend getting some protective anything around it,
The foam leg pads are very uncomfortable, I personally removed them and just road without it (they also fall off pretty easily)
The internal extendable handle is very flimsy and I would avoid picking up the wheel with it.
The USB port only works while the wheel is turned on....

I think thats about everything.

28 minutes ago, Esper said:

Just the normal ones,

Don't accelerate through gravel at high speeds,
Don't go too fast on unfamiliar roads,
Wear protective gear,

Also, you need to unlock the top speed as they are locked out of box.

As for anything hardware related,
The shell is VERY VERY thin and weak. So be careful with any damage. I would recommend getting some protective anything around it,
The foam leg pads are very uncomfortable, I personally removed them and just road without it (they also fall off pretty easily)
The internal extendable handle is very flimsy and I would avoid picking up the wheel with it.
The USB port only works while the wheel is turned on....

I think thats about everything.

Gotway wheels are not speed locked.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Gotway wheels are not speed locked.

Mine was.
Don't know what to tell you.
I bought mine from eWheels and it was locked at 25 mph, and I had to download an app in order to unlock it. I remember having a lot of trouble with it too because they were still doing app revisions and I used 3 different apps and they were not working. Then I tried a fourth app that was in chinese and was not in the app store and was able to unlock it.

14 minutes ago, Esper said:

Mine was.
Don't know what to tell you.
I bought mine from eWheels and it was locked at 25 mph, and I had to download an app in order to unlock it. I remember having a lot of trouble with it too because they were still doing app revisions and I used 3 different apps and they were not working. Then I tried a fourth app that was in chinese and was not in the app store and was able to unlock it.

I wonder if you are confusing terms. Do you mean that you did not have a working app that let you change the tilt-back speed? That is not speed-locking.

KingSong allows you to configure a tilt-back speed, but they also lock the upper speed which requires an unlock code or, on newer wheels, a total mileage of 200-km.

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I wonder if you are confusing terms. Do you mean that you did not have a working app that let you change the tilt-back speed? That is not speed-locking.

KingSong allows you to configure a tilt-back speed, but they also lock the upper speed which requires an unlock code or, on newer wheels, a total mileage of 200-km.

Maybe that's what it was. I thought that was speed locking because without the app I was limited.

19 hours ago, Jacky Heshi said:

I have owned an IPS Zero for 3 years with 1000km on it, so a Tesla is definitely an upgrade

Take a closer look at MCM5! ?

Huge upgrade from IPS Zero. MCM5 is fast and fun wheel, ask @Marty Backe

Latest GW board with 12 mosfet, Tesla has 6. 14 inch/ 1500w against 16inch/2000w of Tesla.

If not, I rather wait for Tesla 2. As you could wait 3 years for an upgrade... ?

I think the Tesla actually has 12 MOSFETs IIRC.  MCM5 has a fan - I never knew that.

Mods or issues?  I'd say mod yourself up with adequate safety gear and watch out for that issue of wanting to ride at insane speeds around 45-48 kph all the time!  :w00t2: Be wary to listen to the warning beeps though as they are hard to hear with the wind blasting you at that speed.

Speaking of beeps. I have gone on my Telsa at 48km/h ( based on what WheelLog shows) and I don't have any beeps. When I set the 2nd alarm at 34 it beeped. When should I hear beeps for the 80% on the Tesla? My MCM4 would beep at 27km/h.

33 minutes ago, NECway said:

Speaking of beeps. I have gone on my Telsa at 48km/h ( based on what WheelLog shows) and I don't have any beeps. When I set the 2nd alarm at 34 it beeped. When should I hear beeps for the 80% on the Tesla? My MCM4 would beep at 27km/h.

The 3rd alarm does vary with the battery level. I guarantee that at 50% battery level you won't be able to hit 48km/h. I'm assuming you are of average weight (not 120-pounds).

56 minutes ago, Jacky Heshi said:

Is it true that the Tesla shell is fairly thin? 

My IPS Zero's shell is tough as a rock

Also does Tesla still have QC issues? I have heard so many negative issues about the previous batches

It's going to take forever for Gotway to climb out of the hole that they dug themselves. Many people have such extremely negative views about their wheels.

My Telsa has been great and it's part of the first batch. I know many people with Tesla's. They work just fine. They aren't fragile unless you run into something at 30-mph. I have crashed mine multiple times and it's doing just fine. Scratched up, but nothing has cracked.

If you want the performance of the Tesla, it's the only game in town.

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

If you want the performance of the Tesla, it's the only game in town.

If you looking for acceleration and max speed, GR16 seems to be a choice.

6 hours ago, NECway said:

When should I hear beeps for the 80% on the Tesla? My MCM4 would beep at 27km/h.

IMO the Tesla is the simply the best EUC on the planet today. I know I will get arguments. But at 16 inches, the torque can conquer any hill I've thrown at it. Easily. Only the MSX can beat its top speed. Its weight, looks, handle, lights, battery... no wheel can match its combination of strengths. Not sure where this 6 MOSFET stuff is coming from (totally false). Other than the top screws for the side panels (which due to their location WILL crack in the event of a crash), my Tesla has taken a beating and rides like new after 3,500 miles. Five-beep speed depends on your body weight, terrain, incline, wind strength & direction, but generally speaking north of 50 kph. Find out exactly where at your own peril.

1 hour ago, Sergej Gerasimenko said:

If you looking for acceleration and max speed, GR16 seems to be a choice.

I just rode the GT16 (Rockwheel) again last week, for maybe 8-miles. It had been about a year since I last rode one. Since the first riding I've bought a Tesla. IMO, the GT16 is a pale reflection of the Tesla. The Telsa feels much more stable and has a smoother ride, and is faster. It also has a superior build quality, is more pleasing to my eyes, has a trolley handle, and the quietest motor available.

The GT16 was a desirable wheel until the Tesla arrived, IMHO.

@who_the you should change your username to what_the?   3500 miles is 5632 km!  Holy crap that is a lot of distance.   That’s like 1/7 th distance around the circumference of the planet!  :blink1: 

Regarding the shell, well just don’t crash.  How many times do people crash their brand new sportbike?  Or their car?  Ride carefully.  I’m at a measely 812 km on mine without a crash.  I’ve nearly dropped it, but it’s never fallen on its side yet.   Yeah I know I’ll probably have an awful crash tomorrow :rolleyes: due to all this “humble or not so humble bragging.”  Don’t jinx me.  

After 1000 km on my Ninebot One E+, I’ve only had one accident over a melting ice fissure, one bad drop off a curb which dinged the plastic under the pedal slightly, and one fall to the side at zero kph.  So it’s doable.  I’ve never had a major car crash either except for one minor fender bender which didn’t even bend the fender.

I actually don’t recall having any bad falls off my bike as a kid either.  So unless you’re planning to get air time on the Tesla or practice stunts and pedal skids, there’s really no need to test the plastic shell toughness.  It’s a cool shape that’s a little bit eggy, but you get used to it.  The trolley handle is the bomb!  It’s flimsy as heck, but it works.

It’s unfortunate that the Russians (except @Shad0z) are missing out on all the Tesla fun!  Oh well, from the looks of things they need rough and tumble wheels to crash.  :whistling:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. 

I had a bit of fear lingering in me after I press that purchase button because of all the news on QC. 

I guess really my last few question are what Gotway app should I use?

Tips on riding fasting? To squeeze the wheel or not to squeeze? I usually ride loose, so it's more agile.

Charging time for the Tesla? 

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=11932

Squeeze if riding over bumpy surfaces or rough off-roading?  I do more of a one sided  brace on smooth asphalt, other side knee point and lead stance.  YMMV.  Or just lean forwards more.

About three hours from 63% to 100%.  Max I’ve gone on a fresh charge is two 19 km rides one week apart.  I can’t remember exactly how long it took to recharge, but maybe four hours?

10 hours ago, Jacky Heshi said:

Is it true that the Tesla shell is fairly thin? 

My IPS Zero's shell is tough as a rock

Also does Tesla still have QC issues? I have heard so many negative issues about the previous batches

My tesla crash happened at about 8 mph. But it hit the side panel. This caused the little plastic tab that holds the screw on the inside to snap and the entire panel was just freely moving.
If the tabs were bigger this might not have happened. I had to run with tape keeping it on. If this is no longer the way they build it, then I would say that they are better.

I can't speak for everyone, but I've owned a Telsa for about 6 months now and I can honestly say (at least for me) this thing has been a beast!  I crashed at 34.3 MPH on the first day I got it and aside from a few scratches on the shell ... there were no issues at all.  No cracks, no loose screws ... nothing.  Rode like it was still brand new out of the box for the past 6 months.  I have over 750 miles on it.  Last week I was riding and hit a hidden pot hole in the grass an my Tesla rolled out into the street and got run over by a Chevy Suburban going 25 MPH!!  I picked it up, dusted it off and was still able to ride it back home and it rode great!  Aside from some superficial cracks in the shell that I could repair with my plastic welder, and some missing plastic pieces that broke off and I couldn't find after the crash, the wheel is still completely functional.  I did however, order a replacement shell from @Jason McNeil at EWheels.com because I can't find some of the small pieces that broke off.  But, if I didn't order a replacement shell, I'd still be able to ride my wheel around with no issue.  It rides great, it just looks like hell.  I took it apart and there's no internal damage ... it's all superficial shell damage.  I know everyone's experience is different, but I haven't had any issues with my Tesla or my Tesla shell.  Like I said, it's a beast!

42 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I've owned a Telsa for about 6 months now and I can honestly say (at least for me) this thing has been a beast!  I crashed at 34.3 MPH on the first day I got it and aside from a few scratches on the shell ... there were no issues at all.  No cracks, no loose screws ... nothing.  Rode like it was still brand new out of the box for the past 6 months.  I have over 750 miles on it.  Last week I was riding and hit a hidden pot hole in the grass an my Tesla rolled out into the street and got run over by a Chevy Suburban going 25 MPH!!  I picked it up, dusted it off and was still able to ride it back home and it rode great!  Aside from some superficial cracks in the shell that I could repair with my plastic welder, and some missing plastic pieces that broke off and I couldn't find after the crash, the wheel is still completely functional.  I did however, order a replacement shell from @Jason McNeil at EWheels.com because I can't find some of the small pieces that broke off.  But, if I didn't order a replacement shell, I'd still be able to ride my wheel around with no issue.  It rides great, it just looks like hell.  I took it apart and there's no internal damage ... it's all superficial shell damage.  I know everyone's experience is different, but I haven't had any issues with my Tesla or my Tesla shell.  Like I said, it's a beast!

That doesn't sound like the same Tesla I had. But if this is all true. Perhaps it was just bad luck on my behalf where it landed in just the right spot to cause a break in panel. In which case, I have no further objections and recommend the Tesla 100%

1 hour ago, Charles McLean said:

I have over 750 miles on it.  Last week I was riding and hit a hidden pot hole in the grass an my Tesla rolled out into the street and got run over by a Chevy Suburban going 25 MPH!!  I picked it up, dusted it off and was still able to ride it back home and it rode great!  

So That was YOU!! You owe me a new bumper!! ?

1 hour ago, Charles McLean said:

:shock2:  Wow. Is the Suburban OK :lol:

That's quite the story. I'm going to assume that the Suburban's tires didn't actually roll over the wheel, just the undercarriage.

This is a great testimony that I'll have to remember :thumbup:

Well, to add to Tesla mishaps, my only fall from the Tesla happened when I was slowing down and I hit a bump followed by a dip. That was enough to separate me from the wheel. I landed on my butt with some bruising. The Tesla rolled and hit a curb. The damage to the Tesla was the light cluster got dislodged. I was not able to remove all the screws to separate the shell. Some screws got bent, and the last one was bent so much that there was no way of removing it, short of drilling it out. With help I pried the two halfs apart enough to reattach the light cluster. If I ever have an other accident very likely I will need to get a new shell to put the Tesla back together. In comparison my MCM4 had rolled many times and everything still seems solid.

Archived