minor rheumatoid arthritis and riding the electric wheel (for older folks) ...

bpong

okay.

for all you older would be riders and older current riders,  here is an observation for those who suffer from the occassional flare up of rheumatoid arthritis due to gout or

past arthritis flare ups.

i did suffer from gout a few years ago and had changed my diet to exclude alot of red meat and no alchohol.  if you never had gout before,  then you dont know how painful it can be.

since the above changes,  i have not had a flare up for quite a while now,  i believe over 1.5 yrs to date.   today,  i had abit of arthritic pain (not from gout) from the base of the

toes to the front of the ankle.  i can still flex my foot with the toes on the floor,  but there is minor pain in the region behind the base of the toes to the front of the ankle.

okay,  i decided to heck with the pain and went to the field and parking lot to practice.  to my surprise,  that small bout of arthritic pain does not impair on my ability to ride the electric  wheel.

in fact,  after my practice session,  the pain has subsided quite abit.  its weird and i do not know what it is that made the pain subside.  im guessing that the small motion at the ball of my foot plus the ankle flexing does help to loosen up things abit and reduce the amount of minor inflamation in the area.  dont get me wrong,  im not saying that riding the electric wheel CURES arthritis;  im just saying that the action of riding the electric wheel may reduce the inflamation,  or reduce some pain because the small changes of the positioning of my foot and the small deflections that are often occuring may help keep the joints loose instead of having the joints locked in a static position for long periods of time.

in other words,  riding the electric wheel with minor arthritis, is still doable, and it may also be beneficial if done in a moderate amount.

suffice it to say,  im not giving up riding the electric wheel now.

Cut way back on cheese/dairy too. Very inflammatory and triggers arthritis. 

I came down with bad arthritis in my toes while in my late 20s due to meat/cheese overload. When I finally cut out most of the meat and dairy, it all disappeared as long as I exercise regularly.

I eat meat and/or cheese about 3 times a week. My hunch is that your diet might still need a tweaking.

2 hours ago, bpong said:

oh yeah, esash,  for sure.

I've found that spicy is a good way to go with a plant based diet. And lots and lots of beans, different kinds. I cook beans from scratch, soaking overnight, and make them very spicy and add different veggies to them. Then you can store a bunch of it in the freezer in different containers, and that stuff goes well with anything, bread, rice, tacos, even on top of spaghetti instead of a meat sauce. And beans plus any kind of bread or spaghetti makes a complete protein.

I also eat a lot of protein bars, and peanut butter sandwiches. And I eat a ton of bread and potatoes. 

So far so good, as long as I treat myself sometimes. Whenever I slip back into a meat/dairy heavy diet, my arthritis and dermatitis flare right up, because of those inflamation properties of animal products.

thats funny you mention pulses and beans.  im cooking alot of navy beans from scratch too, instead of store bought cause of the high sugar content in the canned beans.

as well,  make my own humus.  if you want to try something spicy,  try making chick peas and potatoes stewed in madras curry (store bought curry powder,  from our india town)

this is very hot.  we also take fresh scotch bonnet peppars,  thai chilli peppers,  and simply cut them up and pickle them in a jar of white vinegar.  keeps in fridge several months.

a nice soup can be had from starting with a mirepois (finely diced celery, carrots, onions, cooked at low heat),  then adding chicken broth and blending with a hand blender.

finish it off with a can of coconut milk.  from there you can add your choice of protein or add roast vegetables.  i do eat alot of roasted peanuts from the shell,  but no on peanut butter.

im trying not to consume too much carbs though.  one interesting sauce we use to accompany pasta basically consists of soya sauce,  japanese rice vinegar,  tahina (ground sesame seed paste),  and sesame seed oil.  this is served on pasta just like tomato sauce.  it can also be used on salads too.  we also eat alot of roasted vegetables -  our favs are simple cauliflower roasted,  or as a mix,  onions, zuchinni, carrots, peppers.  very nice, and the sesame oil is just addictive...

my trigger over the past few days was probably 2 small glasses of japanese plum wine i had with family.  alcohol is not good for gout.  for some reason i can indulge in the odd guiness draft and suffer no flareups.  but the plum wine probably did affect me more.

we should start a thread on just cooking,  im sure it will become a monster of sorts.

take care and have a great riding season Esash !!!!

( oh yeah, dont each much dairy cause lactose intolerant,  but do occasionally go for ice cream with lactose pills....)

Yeah I get inflammation, especially around the knees and shoulders, when I eat too much meat and processed foods. When I eat simply, and eat cuts of meat, then it's astonishing how much better I feel.

Processed foods are everywhere, and super cheap too. It's a poison in our society. 95% of us, including me, eat crap.

LanghamP,  yu already sensitive to how food affects yur system,  thats where yu want to be.  Nice.  Enjoy safe riding this summer season !!!!!

mr. eisenman;

i know those medications. they do work well for pain,  but i used to use aleve because it contains more anti-inflamatory  medication.  but if using aleve as a cheaper combatant against

inflamation,  my doctor changes the dosing from 2 / 24 hrs to 3 / 24 hrs.  these days,  if (it hasnt happend for 1.5yrs yet so knock wood) if i ever get a full gout attack,  i use

vimovo which is a great anti  inflamatory for me,  and it does not upset my stomach (dosage 2 pill / 24hrs).  its abit on the pricey side,  but i do have a card from the pill manufacturer which gives me 25% off.   i do not take anything for any moderate pain cause i dont take much meds to begin with.  basically,  if its just abit on the dark reddish side of things,  and not swollen,  then i ride it out.  im pretty sensitive to the difference between a potential attack,  or just abit of pain.  thanx for the advice though,  and take care riding this summer season too  !!!!

Archived