Simple MsuperX side pad Mod

If you purchased an MsuperX recently, then you know that the included side pad is not very useful and provides little to no support.

One simple solution I tried shown below is to replace the MsuperX pad with a Kensington slim ergonomic gel wrist rest. Attach to wheel simply using 3M dual lock reclosable fasteners (double sided tape is too weak to hold the pad).

Total time for mod < 5 minutes, and works much better than the factory provided one + fits perfectly with no adjustments

80079227-2_FF8-40_CE-_A123-_AB967_C22873

A01_A7_B7_F-_A6_BC-4678-_BB8_D-59_F1590_

Here's the Amazon link for the Kensington wrist pad.

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-ErgoSoft-Compact-Keyboards-K52801WW/dp/B01N23O713/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1532477932&amp;sr=8-1-fkmr0&amp;pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&amp;keywords=kensington+ergosoft+slim.wrist+rest

Here's how you attach the pad to the MsuperX:

322_BD6_F1-_E613-44_F1-_B9_C5-5932_E111_

You should use the 1 inch 3m dual lock fasteners like these:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener/dp/B007OXK330/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1532786688&amp;sr=8-2&amp;pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&amp;keywords=3m+dual.lock+1+inch&amp;dpPl=1&amp;dpID=51q78Sub96L&amp;ref=plSrch

14 minutes ago, Adel said:

One simple solution I tried shown below is to replace the MsuperX pad with a Kensington slim ergonomic gel wrist rest. Attach to wheel simply using 3M duo-lock fasteners (double sided tape is too weak to hold the pad).

Liiiiiiink!!!!!:w00t2:

I can't find anything that looks quite like that on Amazon!

5 minutes ago, Adel said:

I just added the link to my original post.

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I can't see it >_<

Also, the picture you posted seems to be gone!   D:!

6 minutes ago, Arbolest said:

Maybe I'm being dumb, but I can't see it >_<

Also, the picture you posted seems to be gone!   D:!

Try it now, I was in the middle of editing my post and it got messed up in the process.

23 minutes ago, who_the said:

Great fit, great feel, thanks for bringing this out on our group ride last Sunday! 

Thanks @who_the. The group ride was fun but definitely confirmed that I need to work on fixing the pedals next !

I like the clean look of ips i5, s5, mcm5, v10f, z10 without pads from the begining.

It is nice to glide without touching wheel with legs, steer with pedals only.

Later on it is fun to experiment with padding for jumping, squeezing wheel on uphills, etc.

4 hours ago, Sergej Gerasimenko said:

I like the clean look of ips i5, s5, mcm5, v10f, z10 without pads from the begining.

It is nice to glide without touching wheel with legs, steer with pedals only.

Later on it is fun to experiment with padding for jumping, squeezing wheel on uphills, etc.

Yes some wheels are good with no pads, but unfortunately the MsuperX is not one of them IMO.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:49 AM, Adel said:

If you purchased an MsuperX recently, then you know that the included side pad is not very useful and provides little to no support.

One simple solution I tried shown below is to replace the MsuperX pad with a Kensington slim ergonomic gel wrist rest. Attach to wheel simply using 3M dual lock reclosable fasteners (double sided tape is too weak to hold the pad).

Total time for mod < 5 minutes, and works much better than the factory provided one + fits perfectly with no adjustments

C800_A0_B3-_E458-46_DA-_A7_FA-3_CE0_CCE5

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-ErgoSoft-Compact-Keyboards-K52801WW/dp/B01N23O713/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1532477932&amp;sr=8-1-fkmr0&amp;pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&amp;keywords=kensington+ergosoft+slim.wrist+rest

Hi is the 3M dual lock reclosable fastners is this velcro taped one on the picture? If it is how would it work on the pad and the wheel? There is no Velcro on the wheel or the pad to attach, is there?

Screenshot_20180728-173641_Samsung Internet.jpg

5 hours ago, DannyK said:

Hi is the 3M dual lock reclosable fastners is this velcro taped one on the picture? If it is how would it work on the pad and the wheel? There is no Velcro on the wheel or the pad to attach, is there?

Screenshot_20180728-173641_Samsung Internet.jpg

I just updated my original post to include the picture of how to attach the pad to the MsuperX and also link to the type of 3M fastener I used. 

What you show looks like correct one I believe.

@Adel how do you think this pad will hold up?  Does it seem pretty durable?  Did you put the other padding on for comfort or for aesthetics?  Would it look weird without the other padding below?  Can you share a photo of the side showing the gap, if any, between the pad and the side of the wheel?  It looks really good in photo.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

@Adel how do you think this pad will hold up?  Does it seem pretty durable?  Did you put the other padding on for comfort or for aesthetics?  Would it look weird without the other padding below?  Can you share a photo of the side showing the gap, if any, between the pad and the side of the wheel?  It looks really good in photo.

Thanks

I think for normal riding it should be perfectly fine, not sure how it will hold up if you drop your wheel in a crash, it's a keyboard wrist rest after all, so I don't think it's designed for a lot of abuse :)

It looks good without the middle padding maybe even better ! This is a slim profile pad, so it attaches fairly flush to the wheel. Here's somewhat top view which shows the gap level. However I think the gap can be made even smaller if I had used the low profile 3M dual lock fasteners, so I might switch to those later. I'll take more pictures tomorrow if needed to show from different angles.

Amazing mod! ?I suggest EUC Forum Design Prize 2018 goes to this beautiful hack! ? It makes MSX look smaller, more compact, solid. ? I never liked aesthetics of MSX, but now l am concidering to get it into my racing stall.? Kebye should talk to Kensington and ship it as MSX stock padding! ?

2 hours ago, Adel said:

However I think the gap can be made even smaller if I had used the low profile 3M dual lock fasteners, so I might switch to those later. I'll take more pictures tomorrow if needed to show from different angles.

I have a couple of rolls of the low profile and can bring it on the next ride!

On 7/25/2018 at 1:49 AM, Adel said:

C800_A0_B3-_E458-46_DA-_A7_FA-3_CE0_CCE5

Here's how you attach the pad to the MsuperX:

322_BD6_F1-_E613-44_F1-_B9_C5-5932_E111_

You should use the 1 inch 3m dual lock fasteners like these:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener/dp/B007OXK330/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1532786688&amp;sr=8-2&amp;pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&amp;keywords=3m+dual.lock+1+inch&amp;dpPl=1&amp;dpID=51q78Sub96L&amp;ref=plSrch

Was the problem to get the dual adhesive to stick to the epdm rather than the plastic body of the wheel?

If anyone run into this problem with a acrylic based general purpose dual adhesive like a 3M 9448A, could try to clean surfaces really well first but if the problem is attach it to the epdm/neoprene use a good rubber primer first, just a tip do it at work all the time when for some reason we mount steel structures, perforated sheets, aluminum lists on steel/glass roofing and so on  where a clean look is demanded and for whatever the reason run out of or forget the expensive pro adhesives we use, not any acrylic based variant just a ultra thin layer of glue left when pulling protective.

Sitting and looking for the right type of neoprene foam myself atm cause suspect it will have to be done, when seeing your result I must admit it looks even better than I imagined, good job, well done indeed.  The stock one is so ugly and such a fail imho it is slightly chocking GW did not even replace them with a proper one before sending out the wheels? Black is fantastic, like it a lot and lines look all better too.

51 minutes ago, Electroman said:

Was the problem to get the dual adhesive to stick to the epdm rather than the plastic body of the wheel?

If anyone run into this problem with a acrylic based general purpose dual adhesive like a 3M 9448A, could try to clean surfaces really well first but if the problem is attach it to the epdm/neoprene use a good rubber primer first, just a tip do it at work all the time when for some reason we mount steel structures, perforated sheets, aluminum lists on steel/glass roofing and so on  where a clean look is demanded and for whatever the reason run out of or forget the expensive pro adhesives we use, not any acrylic based variant just a ultra thin layer of glue left when pulling protective.

Sitting and looking for the right type of neoprene foam myself atm cause suspect it will have to be done, when seeing your result I must admit it looks even better than I imagined, good job, well done indeed.  The stock one is so ugly and such a fail imho it is slightly chocking GW did not even replace them with a proper one before sending out the wheels? Black is fantastic, like it a lot and lines look all better too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Also the reason to use the fasteners is there is a small depression in the shell where the old pad used to be installed. If using just double sided tape, the pad won't lay flush to the shell and will come off.  That's  why you see the dual lock installed just in the middle. It's possible to also use double sided tape on the edges to completely seal.

Anyhow, welcome to anyone to find better ways to attach so the idea can be improved, that's what the forum is all about.

It's a shame Gotway completely missed on this. I think black pad and also black pedals complete the look of the MSX.

4 minutes ago, Adel said:

It's a shame Gotway completely missed on this. I think black pad and also black pedals complete the look of the MSX.

So did you just spray paint the pedals?  I agree that all black looks really good.  Thanks for sharing your idea.

4 minutes ago, Sketch said:

So did you just spray paint the pedals?  I agree that all black looks really good.  Thanks for sharing your idea.

Yes the pedals are spray painted with matte black. Also (not shown), the top of the pedals is covered with super coarse black Mob grip tape.

2 hours ago, Adel said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Also the reason to use the fasteners is there is a small depression in the shell where the old pad used to be installed. If using just double sided tape, the pad won't lay flush to the shell and will come off.  That's  why you see the dual lock installed just in the middle. It's possible to also use double sided tape on the edges to completely seal.

Anyhow, welcome to anyone to find better ways to attach so the idea can be improved, that's what the forum is all about.

Np, but you are of course right I seen it before but somehow forgot about the indentation in the sides of the shell itself, come to think of that it makes the GW miss even worse it's not just a mirrored flipped pad per side anymore but the whole idea was just not thought through at all, or am I still missing something?

Just saw the EUC GUY video as well on Youtube where he open his MSX and had a look at the "vents" which do looks like could have been an idea about venting at first early design stage only to abandon it along the development and just close them off from within again but this is speculation of course so?

Makes perfect sense now why you used the dual lock when realizing you needed a spacer too, yeah smart but I do think the ones you cut yourself is making the wheel look better, can only imagine it being better too. May I ask what exact closed cell foam you did use?  Looks like a very fine microcell wall structure, looks so smooth and consistent, a fine and even black color, looks untouched even though you have the radius at the edges so the foam did not start disintegrate even a bit when rounding them off right?  Sorry for the questions but selecting the right one for mine sucks, cannot find easy access to stores and look  at, touch and feel the materials here must order from probably UK (I am in Sweden) cause the one I did see here so far was a bit too rough, leave patterns after if cutting into it. I mean it is still a closed cell foam but I want a find smooth surface after shaping the pads, want it to last long without disintegrate too much too early but also reach the right softness too it, not too hard I think I want to aim for about 1/2 inch thickness or around there making mine but very open if you have better suggestions?

Should yours feel and work as good as they look you found the winning recipe imho, not too many MSX pad mods available yet but surely many will likely follow yours, these ones make it look like a more grown up MSX, simply better!

Ohh Ok got it, just saw the link to the pad too, ok so already came lie that just found a new purpose for it, well good stuff you thought about it all already I just did not look hard enough, or sloppy hehe? Thanks, did you eyeball that fit or measured?  ?

Archived