Too Many Connections

@John Eucist, the site was down for a few minutes just now. Here's a screenshot of the error message in case the outage is an important indicator of a lurking problem.

Too Many Connections

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@John Eucist, the site was down for a few minutes just now. Here's a screenshot of the error message in case the outage is an important indicator of a lurking problem.

Too Many Connections

No idea what happened. If it keeps doing this please let me know.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

EUCs are getting so popular!!! :w00t2:  Time to upgrade the hosting server!!!

I37a6VB.png

Already been on the 200 ($130/month) plan for some time.

Whoa how you paying for that without some ad revenue?  :blink:  Do you think opening a Patreon account for forum donations might be an idea?  I never thought it was that pricey to run a large forum.  Are there any cheaper hosts out there?  Maybe siteground.com?

https://webhostinggeeks.com/best-forum-hosting

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Whoa how you paying for that without some ad revenue?  :blink:  Do you think opening a Patreon account for forum donations might be an idea?  I never thought it was that pricey to run a large forum.  Are there any cheaper hosts out there? 

https://webhostinggeeks.com/best-forum-hosting

They kind of automatically bumped my tier up over time automatically because the forum was exceeding thresholds. Yeah there are cheaper alternatives including self-hosting with the same forum software but I'm lazy and don't want to interrupt something that "works". No need donations. I'll ask for donations if and when one day I feel the pinch. :P 

:thumbup:  I'm sure there are many forum members willing to chip in to help the cause if needed in the future.  Still, a penny saved is a penny earned!  Some other hosts have easy migration features making it simple to move the site over. 

$130 is quite the chunk of change if you add it up over a year.  Is that USD?  Managed VPS? 

6 hours ago, John Eucist said:

They kind of automatically bumped my tier up over time automatically because the forum was exceeding thresholds. Yeah there are cheaper alternatives including self-hosting with the same forum software but I'm lazy and don't want to interrupt something that "works". No need donations. I'll ask for donations if and when one day I feel the pinch. :P 

Considering the software support you get, etc., I'm not surprised by the current yearly cost. But I am surprised to learn that we're (you) being charged based on the number of connections. In light of the limited storage needs (our meager attachment quota) and relative small bandwidth usage (mostly just streaming text), the price for the upcoming higher tiers seems exorbitant.

Thanks for your ongoing support of our collective EUC addiction :cheers: Someday I'd love to hear your backstory regarding EUCs and this Forum (including Facebook).

Archived