Engine off EU behavior

maxkan

Hi,

My V8 recently shut down at the middle of the ride. The speed was low. Here is what I experienced: I was able to balance for a fraction of a second and then went off balance and almost fell forward... I would expect it to decelerate when I lean back, even if there is no power for example. Otherwise your'e riding a device that can potentially kill you any minute by just shutting down on you. Right?

You can sorta but not really balance for a second on an unpowered wheel (I also have a mechanical unicycle that I can sorta but not really balance on...certainly not ride yet), and I think this determines a slightly different riding technique whereby you "burn and coast". You burn, prepared for the faceplant, then coast whereby you can't faceplant because you are not leaned forward.

Wheels are dangerous, at least to the owners, and after having a few brownouts one never quite trusts the wheel again. Sure, you hotdog it, but any sort of glitch has you leaping off even at the cost of false positives.

11 hours ago, maxkan said:

Hi,

My V8 recently shut down at the middle of the ride. The speed was low. Here is what I experienced: I was able to balance for a fraction of a second and then went off balance and almost fell forward... I would expect it to decelerate when I lean back, even if there is no power for example. Otherwise your'e riding a device that can potentially kill you any minute by just shutting down on you. Right?

A wheel without power will do little for you. The motor provides some resistance but it is minimal and does little if you have any kind of speed (kinetic energy) behind you. Leaning back will not decelerate you more than this simple resistance provides. You'll just land on your arse rather than you face.

An unpowered wheel is not rideable unless you have some insane balance ability. If it fails while you are on it you are going down and there is nothing you can do about it. It is the nature of the beast.

6 minutes ago, tscottn said:

Do you know why is shut down?

Hall sensor failure not long after a puncture repair. Likely a damaged hall sensor wire or connector. There is a thread about it on the Inmotion forum. 

Archived