Another Wheel (ACM2) Succumbs To Overheat-Hill

Marty Backe

I'm glad I don't have any sort of overheat hill and, if I did, any temptation to blow up my ACM 2 trying to get up it :( I don't think I've even taken it up the same steep, but short, hill I went up on my first ACM. I've had the ACM 2 nearly 2 months now and, apart from the odd scratch on the pedals, it's still in perfect condition whereas my original ACM (6 MOSFETS) was dinged up within days from cutouts.

Seeing your Z10 rides is making me think one may be a good idea. Especially on parts of my canal run with large cobble stones to ride over.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Nice graphics!

There is one other attribute that can affect the stress on the wheels; trail condition. Overheat-Hill is not an easy slope to climb, requiring a lot of maneuvering. Any paved or graded path will be much easier on the wheel. 

Well, theres only one thing to do then... We must have a field trip day

16 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

I too use Pebble watch with my wheels Gotway and Kingsong.  I too have it set at 90 amps as you've suggested and it buzzes at times I wouldn't think it would.  I think Pebble watch and WheelLog is a must if you are intent on pushing your wheels to its limits.  

How did you set the current alarm to 90 amps? Wheellog won’t let me set the alarm above 50 amps, and the voltage displays incorrectly.. Is there some modded version I’m missing out on?

9 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

How did you set the current alarm to 90 amps? Wheellog won’t let me set the alarm above 50 amps, and the voltage displays incorrectly.. Is there some modded version I’m missing out on?

Yes you must have the older version, go to one of @Marty Backe's latest video on youtube "ElectricUnicycle" scroll down on the description, get the latest version Marty is using. 

Wonder how the msX is going to perform there.

Also Jeff is x% heavier than Marty, which is roughly equivalent to the hill being x% steeper.

But ACM2 ist Tesla-level electronics, compared to the much better ones in the MCM5, msX, 100V Monster. Sad to see they're still way too weak.

52 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Wonder how the msX is going to perform there.

Also Jeff is x% heavier than Marty, which is roughly equivalent to the hill being x% steeper.

But ACM2 ist Tesla-level electronics, compared to the much better ones in the MCM5, msX, 100V Monster. Sad to see they're still way too weak.

And @Alien Rides apparently just blew his MSuper board. He's been posting a bunch of videos this past week where he's climbing super steep hills in San Francisco. Apparently one was too steep :unsure: Waiting for details. 

19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I want to report these occurrences but I worry that people will than say the ACM2 is worthless. Jeff's a big guy. If you were standing on the top of that hill with me and looking far down the slope and saw the ACM2 climbing, you'd be impressed as hell that a wheel can make it.

This is an extreme hill. The only time wheels are exposed to something like this is when they are brought to this hill. 99.9% of people will never ride their wheels like this.

I ride up the Appalachian trail here in PA on my ACM2. It's off-road, steep and rocky, yet my GW zooms right up. So for anything but the most extreme hills the ACM2 should rock. Google pics of the trail, the parts I ride are on Blue Mountain. 

Based on the tests @EUC GUY made when trying to overheat the 100V Msuper X, I do have high hopes for the 84V version to survive the Overheat Hill under @Marty Backe. I weigh 95kg naked, and I've only gotten the MSX base temperature to rise 2°C.

2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Based on the tests @EUC GUY made when trying to overheat the 100V Msuper X, I do have high hopes for the 84V version to survive the Overheat Hill under @Marty Backe. I weigh 95kg naked, and I've only gotten the MSX base temperature to rise 2°C.

It didn't fully click in my mind before, but the MCM5 and MSX both use the more robust MOSFETs, which must run cooler. This explains why my MCM5 barely heated when going up my Overheat-Hill. So based on my MCM5 experience I'm beginning to think that the MSX really will be a fantastic wheel.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

It didn't fully click in my mind before, but the MCM5 and MSX both use the more robust MOSFETs, which must run cooler. This explains why my MCM5 barely heated when going up my Overheat-Hill. So based on my MCM5 experience I'm beginning to think that the MSX really will be a fantastic wheel.

So the best new EUC is the Z10? I'm still not sure what to think of the V10F considering Maltoc had a good point that it does not destroy itself. But if it cuts and face plants me that would be a problem.

23 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

So the best new EUC is the Z10? I'm still not sure what to think of the V10F considering Maltoc had a good point that it does not destroy itself. But if it cuts and face plants me that would be a problem.

When you say "But if it cuts and face plants me that would be a problem.", are you making a reference to the ACM2 or something else?

The hills that can potentially damage a Gotway wheel are the kind of hills where you are trying to climb but it's so steep that you can only move at maybe a walking pace? Is that the kind of riding that you'll be doing? If yes, avoid all Gotway wheels except for the MCM5 and  probably MSX.

Is the the Z10 the best new EUC? Considering that there is no perfect wheel, I certainly can't say that.

All I can say is that the best wheel for doing X, Y, and Z for a rider that weighs X will probably be ....

I would be happy with every name brand wheel being made but would prefer various wheels based on the riding that I'm going to be doing.

Assuming that the production Z10 has the additional power and better heat dissipation that we've been promised, I think it's a fantastic general purpose wheel of exceptional build quality. I normally wouldn't recommend an 18-inch wheel to a beginner, but the Z10 feels more like a 16-inch wheel than the competitors 18-inch wheels, and therefore would be a great first wheel. 

I'm rambling and I'm not sure what you're really trying to get at with your question  :confused1:

I'm just still working on my first wheel choice and I was referring to the V10F face planting with its cut out problem. I'm 200 pounds. The Z10 seems to be getting some good vibes. Kind of makes sense too because Segway sold their tech to Ninebot.

1 minute ago, dw8928 said:

I'm just still working on my first wheel choice and I was referring to the V10F face planting with its cut out problem. I'm 200 pounds. The Z10 seems to be getting some good vibes. Kind of makes sense too because Segway sold their tech to Ninebot.

Oh, OK. Well, I'm not aware of the V10F face-planting anything. If it overloads or overheats, it tilt-backs which forces you off the wheel. This is a controlled action that does not result in injuries.

9 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/8311-wheellog-android-app/

The last versions are at the end of this post

32 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

Any tiltbacks on the Z10 going up the torture hills?

Hoping to test this a bit on the streets of San Francisco when Marty brings it up here in a few weeks ?

3 minutes ago, Alien Rides said:

Hoping to test this a bit on the streets of San Francisco when Marty brings it up here in a few weeks ?

I'm really intrigued by the extra weight in this Z10. Curious if the motor is overbuilt - which is good!

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

The hills that can potentially damage a Gotway wheel are the kind of hills where you are trying to climb but it's so steep that you can only move at maybe a walking pace? Is that the kind of riding that you'll be doing? If yes, avoid all Gotway wheels except for the MCM5 and  probably MSX.

As a reference, I weigh 95kg and albeit the local ”hills” that steep are usually less than 30m long, I ride them up everyday on my MSX.

44 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

Any tiltbacks on the Z10 going up the torture hills? Also, what are the volts on the V10F vs the Z10?

You should check the video. There were tilt-backs, and a cut-off when the Z10 failed to tilt-back in a steep hill. The cut-off would’ve likely been prevented if the alarm sounds were working.

V10F has a 84V system, Z10 is 58V (or so).

1 hour ago, dw8928 said:

Any tiltbacks on the Z10 going up the torture hills? Also, what are the volts on the V10F vs the Z10?

31 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

I'm really intrigued by the extra weight in this Z10. Curious if the motor is overbuilt - which is good!

In my Z10 thread I have a couple of stress test videos. You can see the tilt-back and in one case a cutout that sent the wheel down the hill. All the details are in that thread.

27 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

As a reference, I weigh 95kg and albeit the local ”hills” that steep are usually less than 20m long, I ride them up everyday on my MSX.

You should check the video. There were tilt-backs, and a cut-off when the Z10 failed to tilt-back in a steep hill. The cut-off would’ve likely been prevented if the alarm sounds were working.

V10F has a 84V system, Z10 is 58V (or so).

On paper, the V10F should be better for 200 pound guys. 

37 minutes ago, Alien Rides said:

This pre-production Z10 is not going to be enjoyable on any of the hills I just saw you riding. And if you actually decide to test it on those steep streets, I would suggesting attaching a tether. The Z10 does not have enough torque to tilt-back on you when it overheats on a steep hill. Instead it cuts out, which can sent the wheel flying behind you.

At this point I'm constraining my Z10 riding to moderate hills.

2 minutes ago, dw8928 said:

On paper, the V10F should be better for 200 pound guys. 

One think I've learned over the years is that paper spec's mean very little when it comes to EUCs. Very little.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

One think I've learned over the years is that paper spec's mean very little when it comes to EUCs. Very little.

But you're still more impressed with the Z10 than you are with the V10F?

11 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Look up "forked wheellog"... that version goes up to 150... I just had a nightmare with a new phone and wheellog if you are using it with a pebble watch... Thanks to @WARPed1701D who gave me a link to the new ad-min site that is working with the pebble as "fitbit" who bought the company isn't providing any support... if you look at my recent posts, you will find all the info...

1 hour ago, dw8928 said:

But you're still more impressed with the Z10 than you are with the V10F?

Yes, I think the Z10 offers a much more unique ride. I was just comparing it to my ACM - the Z10 is only slightly bigger. What a great achievement that Ninebot was able to make such a small 18-inch wheel.

The Z10 is much faster (with less effort) than the V10F and the V10F looks very boring (IMO) compared to the Z10.

Archived