My KS18L Matt black, riding, cruising, just one big fat smile

Unventor

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Um, yes?  :popcorn:

Not that I condone childish or irresponsible behaviour, but I have been known to participate in such activities from time to time.  :whistling:  Like riding on a one wheeled device near 50 kph around the neighbourhood.  

:ph34r: The less you know about me the better.  Keeps that air of mystery alive.  I exist, yet I do not exist.  Like Batman’s alter-ego, Bruce Wayne, or Superman’s Clark Kent.  We all need to keep our secret identities secret!  :ph34r:  Lone electric unicycle rider by night, super genious semi-mad scientist by day.  It’s an isolated solitude I must maintain.  :innocent1:  Besides, you don’t know what kinda wackos are out there in internetland!

Hehe yeah tell me about it..

image.jpgfoto på nätet

Mine turn into mr Hyde every now and then for no good reason.

• Like 3

Well as usual we came to discuss my EUCs at work today and how much I had ridden in my 3 weeks holiday I just had.

In short I have mow 215km+ on the wheel and I got this just over 4 weeks ago. Now the weather has been all crazy, either way too hot or as last week unpredictable showers and windy thunder storms.

So all in all I am pretty happy with my mileage so far.

Now today we started talking lights. And well here it started to puzzle me? The KS18L have 2 interchangeable lights acting as headlight or stop light. Do anyone know if you can force on the rear/break light in anyway? I know you can on the headlight by pressing the power button briefly or via the app by activating lights.

But to me it seems I can't turn on a rear light. Am I right or wrong on this @US69 ?

2 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Well as usual we came to discuss my EUCs at work today and how much I had ridden in my 3 weeks holiday I just had.

In short I have mow 215km+ on the wheel and I got this just over 4 weeks ago. Now the weather has been all crazy, either way too hot or as last week unpredictable showers and windy thunder storms.

So all in all I am pretty happy with my mileage so far.

Now today we started talking lights. And well here it started to puzzle me? The KS18L have 2 interchangeable lights acting as headlight or stop light. Do anyone know if you can force on the rear/break light in anyway? I know you can on the headlight by pressing the power button briefly or via the app by activating lights.

But to me it seems I can't turn on a rear light. Am I right or wrong on this @US69 ?

As it seams the rear light(not brake light) in the Moment is only working when triggered by the automatic light sensor.

The headlight and brake light also work on the other light Settings. I cant Control that myself as i dont have a 18 L (in the Moment).

I allready reported that...and it is hopefully fixed in a coming Firmware update. The priority in the last weeks was on other Things ;-)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, US69 said:

As it seams the rear light(not brake light) in the Moment is only working when triggered by the automatic light sensor.

The headlight and brake light also work on the other light Settings. I cant Control that myself as i dont have a 18 L (in the Moment).

I allready reported that...and it is hopefully fixed in a coming Firmware update. The priority in the last weeks was on other Things ;-)

Fully understand, thanks for super fast reply. And I know you don't have a wheel to check (yet).

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

the trick here is not to get speed blind and I guess it took me my accident too not to get overconfident.

I have mine set to 50kmh/31mph. I love it. Although I rarely reach 50kmh, I spend a good amount of time around the 45kmh mark where I have the first beep set. 

Some riders, may want to exercise more restraint with the firmware settings, but I find that I am pretty good at self regulating.

My instincts regarding speed could have been bred from years if riding hyper-performance motorcycles, like the Suzuki Hyabusa that I owned for years.

These bikes could reach 200mph/321kmh out of the factory, it was the first and still is the only motorcycle to have had that capability from the factory.

I am well acquainted with the horrible tragedies that can occur when people ride above their means and skill level on motorcycles.

I have certainly had my share of faceplants on an EUC - one happened in Washington DC's hyper-congested downtown area that resulted in embarrassment because there were tons of witnesses, humiliation, and a broken wrist; which is why I now always wear at least wrist guards.

After two motorcycle accidents, one a hit and run scenario that left me with a broken leg, wrist, and ankle my mantra of self-discipline - "Respect the Throttle" carries over to my EUC riding. 

Although the speed scale is vastly different, I find that my riding style on EUCs is similar to my motorcycle riding style. I will hit hyper speed, but only in short bursts, on familiar and relatively unpopulated roads, and in dry conditions. 

Glad that you are enjoying your 18L as much as I am enjoying mine ??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My crash was at a lower speed of about 22 kph and over a familiar area I’ve taken many times before without incident.  It does make you wonder whether a faster speed crash would be more dangerous.  I wish I knew whether it was a bump induced wobble or sudden shock to the gyro that did me in, but the telemetry was limited.

In any case, injuries can happen even at lower speeds so we each have to carefully weigh how a permanent or non-permanent debilitating injury could impact on other day to day activities like work, putting on clothes, and other basic functions.  I’ve even had to switch to the more dangerous cowgirl position instead of missionary because of my injury!  :whistling:  That in itself can pose some additional risks!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/14/woman-on-top-is-most-dangerous-sex-position-scientists-conclude/

Where I am from the "Missionary" is called the "Baked Chicken?." It has worked out well for millennia. Another article proving that things don't get better just because people get the notion to change them.

The faceplant that I described happened at a similar speed - about 25kmh. I was wearing elbow pads and helmet, but no wrist guards. When the face plant happened the first part of my body to touch the ground unprotected were my wrists; sucked.

Another incident resulted from me hitting an unseen pothole too hard and fast. This was also on familiar road surfaces. It is important to remember that road surfaces can change. Potholes develop over time due to everything from high volume use to seasonal climate changes. A pothole on a familiar path that was routinely missed could easily become prominent with a flick of the switch.

Yesterday, my son related to me his experience almost face planting from cracked cement that appeared on a sidewalk that he travels daily with his wheel. We gotta stay frosty when we are out riding.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Lutalo said:
55 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

In any case, injuries can happen even at lower speeds so we each have to carefully weigh how a permanent or non-permanent debilitating injury could impact on other day to day activities like work, putting on clothes, and other basic functions.  I’ve even had to switch to the more dangerous cowgirl position instead of missionary because of my injury!  :whistling:  That in itself can pose some additional risks!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/03/14/woman-on-top-is-most-dangerous-sex-position-scientists-conclude/

Where I am from the "Missionary" is called the "Baked Chicken?." It has worked out well for millennia. Another article proving that things don't get better just because people get the notion to change them.

Accept the risk, we live for danger. Remember: "variety is the spice of life"... Whether it be "Baked Chicken" or "Chicken-on-a-Spit"... Who doesn't love chicken? (Just try not to choke on it.) <_<

Edited by RayRay
what were we talking about?
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RayRay said:

Accept the risk, we live for danger. Remember: "variety is the spice of life"... Whether it be "Baked Chicken" or "Chicken-on-a-Spit"... Who doesn't love chicken? (Just try not to choke on it.) <_<

If its baked to perfection, its too tender, moist, and juicy to choke on.

And on that note I shall begin a strategic retreat from this metaphor ?? ??  ??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Screenshot_20181006-152236_Kingsong.thumb.jpg.84ee0f995a1f23e17347b7857b5f2f86.jpgWell I wanted to grab some new gloves today. Fortunately things didn't go as planned ?.

First stop was out local ski and mountain bike store. They didn't have any gloves that work with smartphones. When to our city center mall. The outdoor sportshop i knew of..a few(more) years back had moved or closed. So out to out main shopping street. In heavy pedestrian traffic, testing my flowers than walking speed. Worked much better than I expected. Oddly I saw a lot of NHL fans in team colours here. Until I realized there are a NHL global match tonight as I type this. They apparently never seen an EUC so back to all the classic questions and answer.

Now one thing is sure. My new MC jacket and trousers worked great. It was around 12 degree Celsius today heavy overcast and little to no wind. Simply just perfect weather. As I started back home I decided to go for coffee and carrot cake at local Ikea 14 km ride from the city mall. Riding out of the city to the city outskirts just amazing to see the trees in the autumn colour spray. I were so taken by this I totally forgot to take pictures.

After my coffebreak I rode him. Total ride distance today 39ish Kingsong km. Going from city bike lanes, to walking streets to city mall to communicate bike lanes. So I really tested my rookie skills today. This also bought me passed the 1000 km Mark between my Inmotion V8 and KS18L.

Felt byound good. Riding around with a fit fat smile on my face. And even better bring joy to people as most never seen an EUC still.

NOTE this pic show my smile too underneath my helmet, but this was what people commented on. I lost count, but 100+ shouts out of 'cool', 'wohaaa', 'that look like a neat gadget'.20181004_174708.thumb.jpg.daf7ae8eb016613158b8cafd703423ca.jpgOnly difference is I didn't have my turtleshield backpack with me today and my woolly gloves.

Edited by Unventor
  • Upvote 1

I already have one bone braking accident taking me out for over 3 months in total on the EUC + several less hurtful adventures, but yes me too have accepted the risks now and do not think too much about it or at least try not to, I mean it's also taking away form the hobby thinking about potentials while riding. Yes I can gear up and I do and soon back into same full dress I used to compete in on the dirt tracks when younger, for sure I am still reassessing me views on protection that started out very, very light but now...

I met some guy the other day riding one of these Bomber looking electric bicycles, no idea how powerful but makes the typical high power buzz electrical noise when shoot off and pretty well even though not a genuine Bomber model per se and he was surprised how well the MSX could keep up with him, like stunned should not be possible, perhaps he think of EUCs like the cheapest possible children's toys still? He could of course beat me no question but not as easily as expected, I don't know, I do know I am on the extreme side though when pushing the wheel and how I ride it and I know I took every single drop of performance out of that wheel and every single lean forward was very aggressive and try to balance the warnings by very slight lift off's and on again to find perfect harmony and not take a nose dive.

If next wheel can deliver better performance than the MSX I likely will go leather, exotic materials do exist and played with but in the end of the day leather is leather for now and while Kevlar infused jeans may be comfy.., all you bikers know this already and so do I, any tip of thin 2 piece that can tolerate the movement better? Being this aggressive I move a lot and utilize body weight as counter and manipulate a lot of input to make the wheel go where it naturally do not want to due to physics.

Yes, gloves that work with smartphone, I cut off a finger top on a pair today hahaha, will activate face unlock just need to re calibrate with the helmet and whole shebang. :lol:  Great outfit Unventor, I like that more and more lightweight and thinner "motorcycle style" helmets showing up each year, weight going down is worth  lot to me, now I just need to solve the audio problem of covering my ears and me too can won over to that side. I don't use music on the go for same reason, accident prevention is even more important than trying to gear up for one, gear is important when accident is a fact but first try with all means to avoid it I suppose and getting run down by a car will hurt either way so?

7 hours ago, Electroman said:

Yes I can gear up and I do and soon back into same full dress I used to compete in on the dirt tracks when younger...

Serious question... They still fit???

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Serious question... They still fit???

Good day unicyclist, ohh no I am much too fat these days and to be honest all I have is some breast/shoulder and I think boots gloves etc left somewhere in some boxes at Mom's that I think also include a few sets of plastics for the -91  KX250 I started up on again but those are relics now even if existing still? It' the thing about expressions and the English language I suppose, I am trying to express something like, soon I will be as dressed up as I was back then but on the wheel this time.

Also I did ride a lil bit as a small kid too up to maybe 13-14 something before stopping, but that I consider toying around for fun cause what it is imho, not that it is not fun getting back on around 15-16 and up to young adult years.. But my height is actually the same as 16-17, I am still the short guy, only now a bit fat to drag around so too much work to get old stuff to fit again even if I wanted. :lol:

I gave it a go some around 2-3 years ago and came closer than I expected at some 82kg I think it was (must check logs lol), but the requirements to stay there, the foods you must eat, running 10km/day except for too few resting days as warm up for the lifting, strength and conditioning program was too much, or I got weak again one of the 2 I suppose. The food may be even harder than the training itself, psychological suffering is worse to me dreaming about the good life on a plate.

Yes and no, if digging up whatever is left at Mom's I could make some fit, my shoe size is the same I suppose, but atm no would not time and gravity did their things. :crying:

I still ride it like I rode back then though I was always the aggressive one, not the smooth sailor on the bank, hit  apex flying, whip the back end with force and full throttle around the bend, manipulating with weight and physical input and on/off, on/off rather then smooth arches of perfection which makes more sense and this is extremely demanding on conditioning. Both styles can easily be achieved, just some prefer the lesser effective one for raw physical input and the 200bpm attitude!  Not important I probably was never good enough to break through anyway, some friends did better but if not done it by early adult it will not come imho. Full on cross equipment + leather  on the EUC would make a lot safer if slipping off along asphalt transport at high speed at least, besides dropping off the dirt bike at a young age and full suit on often mean right back on, after 40 untrained on the EUC though?

• Like 1

Well I had another long ride, for my standard today. Another 35 km added to the mileage meter ?

I were trying to go around a lake without know if it was possible...Well I got stopped my train railed and a mountain side. So I had to turn back, then got "lost" and ended up on a 60kmh limited road. Rebel as I felt in my MC gear I went for it with a 40kmh top limit set. Felt safe enough though. The KS18L is really nice coursing wheel on a smooth road.Screenshot_20181007-161014_Kingsong.thumb.jpg.f7ef51fe522afa6bb6167b5f35449568.jpg

Cannot the KS18L go full throttle without cutting out?

Not really read up on the King Songs so admit I don't really know but think I read it somewhere?

I understand it likely vary depending on batteries, how flat surface, air pressure in tire, temperatures and wind not to mention weight on the wheel but this is normal for all wheels I suppose.

@Electroman

It never cut out on me. I just sat limit to 40 kmh as I don't like to go faster than that on any EUC. I only just reached my 1000km total mileage on EUCs so I rather be chicken than a roadkill. Blame me not the KS18L ?

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

Sorry but I meant with no speed set at all, let's say someone do hit the top speed for that occasion on a "suicide run"...

Would the KS18L still limit itself, that is to not cut out even if pushed to maximum capacity, will the wheel sense it and limit itself even with no settings at all activated or how does it work for KS on that front is what I am curious about? A technical question so to speak, perhaps you know of the wheels capabilities even if not utilizing it to the very limit?

If you deliberately choose 40km/h as max speed on a personal level that is still quite fast + anyone can fall even without pushing the wheel very hard, I see some people here like to ride with music in their ears and dress up to brim with security, to me that may help but not a lot should a truck run us down while cruising on the street at say 10km/h. Safety is a very, very wide field of view even by a few degrees, I do ride too fast and too aggressive I know this so try to stay off the roads where heavier traffic also go by, want my senses on full alert, etc.. etc... My point is if truly wanting maximum safety at all times one could go for that and also ride ultra slow and take a precautions x3, yet still a car driven by a drunk could come all the way up on the bicycle lane from behind and run us down and kill us on a spot.

But if the wheel make it impossible to over lean into a cut out at least that ,must be regarded as a safety feature I suppose, heard all wheels except Gotway do this but curious and want confirmation is so? It's not chicken to be safe over sorry my friend. :D

3 hours ago, Electroman said:

But if the wheel make it impossible to over lean into a cut out at least that ,must be regarded as a safety feature I suppose, heard all wheels except Gotway do this but curious and want confirmation is so? It's not chicken to be safe over sorry my friend. :D

Well I can't really answer your question here. Simply because I am not brave enough to deliberately push byound wheels limit. I can say I once accelerated a bit to hard making the wheel do a medium tiltback. The hardest I ever experienced on the KS18L but not as hard as my Inmotion V8. 

And I don't ride with cheese/music in my ears either. I try to stay as alert as possible at all times. 

Btw just realized I have been riding on medium or wheeloc reset the mode. It seemed to reset my speed settings. I don't use wheeloc with KS18L normally. This was just to check charging time and battery levels.

Well anyway, tomorrow is a car day due to rain and wind. ?

3 hours ago, Electroman said:

My point is if truly wanting maximum safety at all times one could go for that and also ride ultra slow and take a precautions x3, yet still a car driven by a drunk could come all the way up on the bicycle lane from behind and run us down and kill us on a spot.

We live in a universe of infinite possibilities so, we can only work to reduce probabilities. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Electroman said:

how does it work for KS on that front is what I am curious about?

All other wheels than Gotway behave the same at maximum speed settings: The wheel limits your speed by a tilt-back at the announced top speed. I have read that the 18L has a sudden one, so best to try the tilt-back at slow settings first.

This means that the wheel can’t be speeded up to the motor’s cut-off speed. But the tilt-back can’t help a fool accelerating fast until or near the top speed, so over-lean and losing balance because of a sudden tilt-back are as possible as with any other wheel.

• Like 2

Unventor, I see no problem, seams I got the answer and satisfied my curiosity.

Lutalo, absolutely and this was my point as well, precautions yes absolutely, can happen though but life must also run it's course we cannot try to safe ourselves to death either if you know what I mean..

mrelwood, thanks buddy, appreciate! I am sure that is great future for most people, I am not looking for non safe wheels, but I want control and ability to push it real hard, interested in the Z10 cause of technology, looks and they say by far the best quality money can buy atm?? Appealing no doubt, too bad it cannot match MSX performance though, gotten so used to this now next one must surpass it, or I better start loosing weight real fast and a lot of it. :crying::D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Footloose said:

I am riding both the KS18L and the V10f , where the V10f was an immediate hit, I am still adapting to the  KS18L  ! 

But I have less then 200km's on it, so I am only riding it until I like it ;) 

More importantly than adapting to the KS18L, if you are jumping up from a V10f you are also adapting to an 18" inch wheel. 

• Upvote 1