Possible KS18S Battery or firmware problem

Japmerican

Is anyone else having strange battery problems on the KS18S since the firmware update to v1.08?  I'm still trying to diagnose what's going on so I can give better details, but the only guaranteed information I can tell you is the battery status is not the correct values.  I think they percentage is less than what is actually available.  The LEDs on the front "might" display a different percentage (I know it's just an estimate) than the app.  I say "might" because it usually matches, but I've had it be as high as two bars more than app's readings.

Also the readings that the KingSong app and the DarknessBot app shows are different by around 5% or 6%; currently mine shows 81%, 63.0V and 75%, 63.03V, respectively.  KingSong app always shows a higher percentage.  The LED now shows 8 bars, so it's basically matching the KingSong app now.  This is immediately after a full charge.

I'm trying to determine if the firmware update did this or if somehow one of the internal battery connectors might have become disconnected.  I had a very minor "crash/drop" about the same time as the update.  Basically the KS18S simply dropped hard on its side when it was turned off.  Everything else seems to work perfectly fine though, no other anomalies.

I'm just trying to gather information from other people to see if it's a common theme or just unique to me.  I've had it just over 1 1/2 months and have 851 miles on it.

• Like 1

Also in the time it took me to write the first post both apps; KingSong and DarknessBot now show 80% and 73%, respectively.  That's just sitting there doing nothing except standing it up while powered on.  Also temperature reads is 32C/89.6F and 33C/91.4F, respectively.  So I'm wondering if one of the apps is just calculating things wrong.

24 minutes ago, Japmerican said:

Also the readings that the KingSong app and the DarknessBot app shows are different by around 5% or 6%; currently mine shows 81%, 63.0V and 75%, 63.03V, respectively.  KingSong app always shows a higher percentage.  The LED now shows 8 bars, so it's basically matching the KingSong app now.  This is immediately after a full 

Charge percentage is just a calculated value from the battery voltage - maybe ks changed this formula a bit and in db it's already updated while wheellog still uses the old formula?

That makes sense, especially since DarknessBot already know my riding style since it's almost always connected while I'm riding it, it's estimate will probably be more accurate.  I tend to ride fast and DB knows that and probably has a more accurate estimate.

So I'm still wondering though, about what is going on with my battery voltage.  The numbers above were immediately after a full charge, so the voltage should be around 67.2v.  I get these whether I use the fast charger from eWheels or the KingSong 2amp charger.  So either there is a problem with both chargers or something strange happening on the KS18S.

Does anyone have a disassembly video for opening up to get direct access to the batteries?  I want to directly measure each battery pack.  I understand there are two in the setup that I have.  I will be purchasing from eWheels an extra battery pack to add.  Which reminds me, I should probably contact @Jason McNeilbefore I get into this so he can have me go through his checklist for warranty reasons if needed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wondered after I upgraded to 1.08 whether the battery would deplete faster because of what I perceive to be more torque.  I lack electrical understanding, but my assumption is that it is impossible to increase torque without increasing power delivery to the wheel.  Unsure whether this could be related to the OP's issue.