Convenient gear

So hey, I'm waiting for my KS16S to arrive and I'm mostly going to be using it for city riding at reasonable speeds, quick runs to the store and as a general subsitute for walking.

For those trips I want to be able to quickly put on simple and convenient basic protection, because if it's not quick and convenient, I'm just going to get lazy and not wear it. Long rides are different and out of the scope of this thread. I want to focus on the best protection that takes nearly zero effor to use.

The criteria I have thought up are:

1. Minimal. Only the most basic protection against low-speed accidents. What this means, I'll discussed below.
  2. Quick to put on. I can slap a helmet on with no effort, but putting on certain types of knee/elbow guards can already get a bit time-consuming.
  3. Inconspicuous. If I'm moving in the city or going shopping, I don't want to look like a motorcyclist or RoboCop. I want to look as casual and approachable as possible.
  4. Non-burdensome.  I don't want heavy gear that restricts movement or feels too warm on a hot summer's day.

All of these criteria are such that if they are not fulfilled, I'm just going to think "Eh, what's the worst that can happen. It's just a quick ride" and not bother to wear that gear.

So let's go through different articles of protection, which I've listed in an approximate order of importance (in my opinion):

For helmet, I can just use a basic bicycle helmet. While I'd like to protect my face, a full-face helmet doesn't fulfill points 3 and 4 above. A Hövding airbag-helmet might be an interesting solution, but they cost a lot, and I'm not sure if they work well with EUC faceplants anyway.

For wristguards, I have a set of basic rollerblade guards with a shaped plastic palm protector. They need a single velcro strap around the wrist to put on. Since they don't need to go over any other clothes, the single strap doesn't matter. If someone knows of even simpler guards that work more like fingerless gloves, with elastic or a zipper, that might be even more practical. Also, if there's doubt about the effectiveness of these kinds of guards, I would like to know.

That's all the protection I'm wearing currently with my AirWheel X3. I have a set of knee and elbow protectors, but either I need to put my arms and legs through them, catching on and wrinkling my sleeves, or I need to unthread the velcro straps from the plastic loops, place the guards on the joints and then thread the velcro straps through the loops again. This is too annoying to bother with.

Do you know of knee guards that I can slap on my knees and do a simple one-handed velcro attachment? I found these Powerslide Pro Air knee guards that seem to have a simple velcro attachment, but it seems to be an outgoing model and I didn't find a men's model with the same attachment method. Not that I'd mind wearing these personally. Still, would be nice to have options.

Pretty much the same question on elbow guards, and I haven't been able to confirm if the Powerslide elbow guards have the same velcro system as the knee guards. However, I've seen mentions of armoured motorcycle hoodies with integrated elbow, shoulder and back guards. These actually sound like a great idea! Unless it's a super hot day, I might want to wear a jacket or hoodie anyway, and if it has built in protection, I can hardly think of more convenient way to protect the upper body.

However, I tried one armoured hoodie at a local shop and it was super heavy and thick. Several kilograms! While for riding a big motorcycle, that might not matter, for everyday EUC use, that's unacceptable. Browsing online seems to show other options that might be much lighter, but there are almost never specs for how much a hoodie actually weighs. I wouldn't need a full kevlar jacket masquerading as a hoodie. Just a softshell or cotton jacket with some hard pads in elbows and shoulders. If any of you have come across a lightweight hoodie with protectors sufficient for covering low-speed tumbles, I'd be very interested in hearing about them. Perhaps something made for skateboarding or rollerskating?

So that covers most of the important joints. Let me know if I missed something, or if you think my philosophy is wrong. List your favourite finds for lightweight, convenient and inconspicuous protectors. Let's try to keep this thread focused on just such.

After all, just as the best camera is the one you have with you, the best protection is the gear you actually wear all the time. 

I only wear wrist guards if I am going to be driving less than 25km/h. I usually stay around 20 km/h though. 

You can get elbow pads that just slide on without velcro. They cover the elbow and part of the forearm. Really easy to slide on.

I would get a nice light BMX helmet with the option of a faceguard if you want to go that route in the future. Also there is a bmx jacket that has the elbow pads and shoulder and back plastic pads with soft hip pads its easy to put on and style with led lights for night time road riding.

i like all of your choices so far, and you really seem to have a great grasp on the equipment needed. What a terrific thread!

Cool Stan! Thanks for the feedback!

I've seen a lot of protective jackets meant for mountain bikers that you're supposed to wear an outer jacket over. Is this what you mean with the BMX jacket, or have you actually seen a jacket that looks like a jacket, but has hidden protectors? Would you be able to provide a link?

I'm also curious if you'd have a link for the easy elbow pads you mentioned.

Yes, here is an example of the type of Motocross jacket. It can be worn on its own in the summer, the one I have vents very well through the mesh and holes in the pads for ventilation. Or in the winter you can wear a jacket over it as well. 

https://www.amazon.com/TMS-Motorcycle-Jacket-Shoulder-Protection/dp/B017J99Z00/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1532292566&sr=8-5&keywords=mx+riding+gear

there are others, most are more expensive and maybe even better somehow. Of course, read the reviews for comments on quality and usefulness.

There is actually a very good helmet that I bought from a German or UK store. Its only sold in Europe and is a vey light bmx helmet with a detachable face guard. I have never worn the faceguard, but I am still glad I have it, just in case. Caseco? That sounds like the helmet name. I am away from my helmet now on vacation. Yes I have a KS14B which is their travel EUC. Removable batteries and 25km/h top speed. Lol 

Its still a blast!?

All right. I'm familiar with that kind of "underjacket". I'm glad to hear that that kind of a jacket works for you and can be worn without an outer layer.

I've thought of those and for me, it doesn't fulfill the "inconspicuous" criterion. I'd still like to find a jacket that looks like any other fleece, hoodie or soft-shell, but has hidden protective pads.

I wear strap-on or slip-on knee pads. The strap-on knee pads have only two straps that go on quickly since both hands are free...

Elbow and wrist guards are more of a one handed affair... (I prefer fewer straps or simply slip-on.) However, wrist guard straps are necessary to immobilize...

Spoiler

wrist.jpg.99ecbce7031aae670d2eca482c96f12f.jpg

Quick overview: Demon Flexmeter (double-sided) are hands-down the best option. They are conspicuous and expensive, but clearly superior. After that, you will find many choices... (Too many options to delve into.) I shop on Amazon a lot, so I wound up getting one of the Triple 8 series (Wristsavers II). If you are familiar with ski equipment brands then maybe start there (try not to go too cheap or off-brand). Wrist-guards are a must! (Helmet too.)

Wow, that's awesome RayRay! That's good info on wrist guards, and having browsed the injury thread, I fully agree that helmet and wrist guards are the minimum, and that's what I always wear. I'll take a peek at those glove style wrist guards too! The Atom Elite palm guards in your picture look a lot like what I have now.

When it comes to knee guards, the kinds of straps that go around sound more practical than the kind where the strap goes through a loop and doubles back on itself. Which kind do you have? 

9 minutes ago, Gubbe said:

When it comes to knee guards, the kinds of straps that go around sound more practical than the kind where the strap goes through a loop and doubles back on itself. Which kind do you have? 

I have the go around type... If I had to pull the strap through the loop every-time it would take longer, but leaving some slack to slide it on seems pointless when I can just buy slide-on type to begin with... (For leg guards I have both slide-on and double wrap-around types.) ^_^

I don’t see any use in the standard bicycle helmet. I can’t see how it could protect from front ,side or rear impacts.  They don’t even protect from bird droppings. ( holes) 

Skate board, snow board, paragliding, white water and BMX helmets offer much better protection without looking like a motor cycle helmet. 

7 hours ago, Gubbe said:

Do you know of knee guards that I can slap on my knees and do a simple one-handed velcro attachment? I found these Powerslide Pro Air knee guards that seem to have a simple velcro attachment, but it seems to be an outgoing model and I didn't find a men's model with the same attachment method. Not that I'd mind wearing these personally. Still, would be nice to have options.

The over-the-pants knee guards may be easier to put on and take off, but they are unlikely to stay in place and protect your knees in a crash, especially if they are worn over fabric. They also wrinkle your clothes, which can be an issue if you ride to work with your wheel as I do. I was wearing a typical pair when I had my only faceplant around 13mph, and they slid down off my knees onto my shins.

I'd recommend a snug pair of the G-form or similar, with integrated latex or silicone strips to hold the guards in place against the skin under clothing. I have been wearing the Troy Lee 5450 for over two years everyday, all day, and they stay put. They are lightweight and not visible under jeans, and I don't even notice them. They have an integrated hard shell that cups the knee nicely and extends halfway down the shin. They also sell a matching set of elbow guards of similar design, although I wear Leatt elbow guards which are a bit smaller and very quick to slide on/off.

These knee (and similar elbow pads) are my daily drivers. I wear the knee pads under pants all day and the elbow pads over my shirt and under a jacket. Simple velcro attachment plus neoprene foam make these easy to put on and take off. They're also battle tested, have protected my joints from many falls and impacts. Highly recommended.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-Knee-Support-Elbow-Support-Adult-Field-Pulley-Bike-Motorcycle-Knee-Protector-Brace-Protection-Elbow-Pads/32829405339.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dXUr3GZ

1030608370_ScreenShot2018-07-23at2_29_43AM.jpg.a5190e8d66e29d7d6723bfbe02369cd3.jpg

Thanks guys, those seem like good options. These Jiajun ones are on the top of my shopping list now, since they seem really easy to put on. Still considering the Powerslide ones too though.

I just tried to stress test the Rollerblade knee guards I have and even when I tighten them to the extent of the velcro and they feel unpleasantly tight, they can still slip down my shins, just like @litewave warned. I suppose the straps are too elastic. 

Equipment is not enough.

Training and experience from falling is not enough.

You need both to minimize injuries.

If you can't fall  safely, without injury, from a standing position, then you need to practice on your falling skills. When it comes to equipment, chances are you will not use it 100% of the time whereas the skills from falling will always be with you.

And from my faceplants, I think that being able to fall (for me, not so much as instinct but a few classes of Parkour) is worth a lot. Some things like keeping the elbow up while pressing the back of your hand across your face/forehead I would simply have not known or thought about.

I use Arc'teryx Kneecaps knee pads. They are quick on and off, and low profile. I used to use heavy duty extreme skater knee pads, but the Arc'teryx ones seem nearly as protective and are much more convenient and comfortable.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:39 PM, RayRay said:

I wear strap-on or slip-on knee pads. The strap-on knee pads have only two straps that go on quickly since both hands are free...

Elbow and wrist guards are more of a one handed affair... (I prefer fewer straps or simply slip-on.) However, wrist guard straps are necessary to immobilize...

Hide contents

wrist.jpg.99ecbce7031aae670d2eca482c96f12f.jpg

Quick overview: Demon Flexmeter (double-sided) are hands-down the best option. They are conspicuous and expensive, but clearly superior. After that, you will find many choices... (Too many options to delve into.) I shop on Amazon a lot, so I wound up getting one of the Triple 8 series (Wristsavers II). If you are familiar with ski equipment brands then maybe start there (try not to go too cheap or off-brand). Wrist-guards are a must! (Helmet too.)

Could not agree more, wrist guards are so important, heck I used to be one in the crowd who think they can somehow prepare and just fall right when accident is there totally not realizing how unprepared you are when cut out is a fact, and/or for reasons that the hands can be sacrificed to save face or any other combination or thought pattern they are so many.. I want overall basic protection when accident is there next time, sure being 16 and light weight in good condition will help but that is not me these days haha.

I learned the hard way with a broken left Scaphoid and many months out of play, so far so good I actually did hear my doctor and lucky enough that sitting still made it heal up but now realize this will never be like before and pain, suffering will be a daily thing for me for being so stupid.

The Demon Flexmeter's seams a bit too bulky and big for my taste as well as hard to get where I am located which happen to be in a country where tax/customs can be very high, so I am curious to what you guys see as alternatives to these? + I hate strapping on too much non ventilated gear in the summer with temps last week hitting over 30c (this is Sweden after all),  heat and I do not mix well I'm a Northerner through and through and likely most happy in the negative C range lol. ?

Obviously don't want to pay extra premiums just to pay them but if it's worth it for some high tech slim ventilated design that also protect very well I am all open for that. Rest I though about a decent downhill style helmet that is open for audio signals yet protective,  a dirtbike/enduro  jacket with build in shoulder/elbow/spine plate but these wrist guards are harder where I am located so any tip would be appreciated in regards to wrist guards, the rest I go straight into a well sorted enduro store here but keep looking in the mean time.

EDIT:

Anyone tried the Mobius X8 wrist brace?

I know they fantastic (but also very expensive) knee protection but never tried the wrist guards on, just found out they existed to be honest.

I was just told Flexmeter only come in S. M and L is that correct, anyone?

Salesman I talked to measured his own wrist and tried them on while taking my measurement and it seams as if my almost 25'ish cm (9.85 inch) (left is 26 and right 24.something..) around the knuckles and 23cm around the wrist itself, or at least what we see as the wrist joint, where it looks like it bend so to speak. That is too much for Flexmeter L he said, they are a bit too warm looking for me anyway but I want something good around my wrists and my existing ones just broke (can be used but dampening will come loose any sec), so I had to order something temporary at least and went with these at least for now:

https://www.skatepro.se/116-27140.htm?stockcode=920002/S&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkPzArrO83AIVTqqaCh0L3ADaEAYYASABEgK5wvD_BwE

..only to realize that brand have some called ST that looks to be about what I want afterwards hehe, although if anyone want to know about them later just ask and you shall receive... Want to try the Mobius X8 wrist braces but a bit pricey so also something I want to physically try ion store first.

In fact I am so fragmented right now in terms of gear I also bought a cheap helmet just as temporary to give me more time to choose what I want but as same time provide me with if not great at least something in front of my chin, also just ask once arrived and I let you know what I think of it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-Full-Face-BMX-Mountain-Bike-Matt-Black-Helmet-54-58cm/253702164476?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I know it's silly but had to also get cheapo knee protection until I can physically go to a store and try what I want myself, they gave me such a good deal on top of already lowered price I could not refuse, who knows maybe they are good for this price everything does not necessarily be expensive although they tend to be better quality that way or at least quality comes at a price if you know what I mean:

https://www.xlmoto.se/knaskydd-polisport-devil-svart-1

For those in Sweden I can link this too, perhaps not all of you use some form of rucksack but I do:

https://www.xlmoto.se/ryggsack-course-slipstream-vattenresistent

Then I also got a better deal on the Acerbis X fit pro and I got the old one cause what I wanted, otherwise the X fir pro 2.0 is cheaper here but I wanted this one and should be the one piece of gear I hope to stick to, first wanted Alpinestars Bionic Plus but turns out I am a wide person, yes I can remove some fat hahaha, but still even with that I am wide, thick. People love to use the old "I have thick bone" I am aware hehehe.. ?

https://www.xlmoto.se/skyddsjacka-acerbis-x-fit-pro-svart#?p

The upper body I want to be able to remove all in one go, fast and easy when changing clothes at work every morning and afternoon so this one I think will be a keeper or hope so at least, who knows maybe all of it is good enough and fit decent except for helmet where I will invest into for real but when and how only after trying them I will know.

Hey Gubbe, 

interesting thread ! Two days ago  I bought the KS16 sport and I am looking at safety gear as well , so far I have found the following that matches my needs : 

Helmet : my old snowboard helmet

knee pads : https://gform.eu/knee-pads-mountain-bike-skateboard   memory pads, very light, you don't feel that you are wearing them, easy to go under your clothes.. and when you fall the mem pads become very hard and dispensate very well the shocks..

G-Form_Knee_Pads_2.thumb.jpg.21594107dfb0223fd6d126fcf3f425dc.jpg

matching elbow pads : the good part about these ones is that I can wear them under about any clothing, downside is that you struggle more to put them on then when you have some external pads on top of your clothing.. I'll get myself some cheap plastic ones for those moments that I am in a hurry..

maxresdefault-2.thumb.jpg.dad4ddfff2b7d140c2c76ceb23f3bb88.jpgwrist protection :

Wrist protection :

I have chosen the flex meter ones, I'll order him today :https://flexmeterwristguards.com/product/flexmeter-wrist-guard-double-sided/  (see following post for more info on these ones : Flexmeter-double-600x600.png.c03434de72e9d92f572d2f49469d9678.png 

shoes, I am still using the following pair which I used for paragliding in the mountains, stiff sole, I wonder if this will be any good for riding ... : https://www.salomon.com/us/product/x-ultra-3-mid-gtx.html#

L39867400.jpg.ae950d461604bbf07eb31d714305ba51.jpg

cheers

CL

knee-and-elbow-pads-mountain-biking-skateboarding-black.jpg

@WARPed1701D thx for that feedback, tomorrow I'll order kneepads in the elite version, and from what I understand it's better go with the pro version for the elbows.. 

and in parallel your input was very welcome on the sizing for the flexmeter wrist guards.. I'll be ordering a Large one for me tomorrow.. 

I use G-Form kneepads. Once you have them on for 10 minutes you can wear them all day. You don't notice them anymore. You can put them on over your shoes. No need to remove them.

I have the elbow pads and shirt too, but hardly use them. I just take a motorcycle jacket (tissue, not leather) that still sort of looks like a normal jacket but has all the hard protection inside. A lot faster to put on and off.

Wrist guards are also a must have. You will fall on your hands.

I see you are from Belgium, welcome :) What region are you from?

thx for the feedback @ir_fuel, I am from the Vlaamse Ardennen (flemish eh? ardennes ;)  ) somewhere between geraardsbergen and ninove.. nice place to ride that's for sure..

After calling yesterday with some skate shops, I've found out that the Pro series from G-form will be replaced by the Elite series in the near futur, so soon no more Pro version (according to the guys from the shop) , luckily I can get the Elite's for the same price as the Pro's from today...

I do have a leather motor suite (jacket and pants) that I'll probably use in the winter times, but in this heat ?, the G-Form will do just fine..

45 minutes ago, Cumulus Libre said:

I do have a leather motor suite (jacket and pants) that I'll probably use in the winter times, but in this heat ?, the G-Form will do just fine..

Mine is textile. I use it because I can put it on in a second when leaving and remove it in a second when at my destination (I use my euc to go places to do other stuff, so wearing all that protection all the time or if it takes too long to remove is quite annoying). As long as you are riding you don't feel the heat :) 

I appreciate wanting quick and subtle, so I got some of this gear...

https://www.ssgear.ca/usa_english/mens/mens-jackets/mens-performance-casual.html

Barely noticeable and it only takes seconds to put on!

37 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I appreciate wanting quick and subtle, so I got some of this gear...

https://www.ssgear.ca/usa_english/mens/mens-jackets/mens-performance-casual.html

Barely noticeable and it only takes seconds to put on!

Cool, how does  it feel on?

Seams like a good option for quick shorter runs for me too, or a combination of slim protection under (although loosing the advantage of quick and easy I suppose) and a jacket like that as outer layer, like you say subtle.

Love to hear opinions about the fit, functionality.

9 minutes ago, Electroman said:

Cool, how does  it feel on?

Seams like a good option for quick shorter runs for me too, or a combination of slim protection under (although loosing the advantage of quick and easy I suppose) and a jacket like that as outer layer, like you say subtle.

Love to hear opinions about the fit, functionality.

I quite like the "cruise missile" hoody that they have - it feels pretty much like a normal hoody, but noticeably heavier.

The protective inserts is on the elbows, shoulders and back are all removable - and I have taken out the back piece to make it more comfortable to wear with a backpack. It also has "thumb holes on the inside of the cuff, which makes putting my Flexmeter wrist guards over top is quite easy too.

Probably the worst thing about it is that you need to check the pad positioning as you climb in - for me I sometimes have to wiggle one of the shoulder pads into place. But everything stays in the right place and it is very comfortable - I should make a video review and post it in the relevant area.

NOTE: I have not "road tested" any of this gear - that is to say I haven't fallen while wearing it, so can't comment on it from that aspect. But it is designed for motorcycles, so I expect good results.

Archived