Anyone try the larger ‘Speed Wheel’ available at More4Mini yet?

I have the 90/65-6.5 tyres more4mini label as "off-road." Only complaint is that they are really too heavy for a device like a MiniPro (weighing 40ozs), the cushion of air cannot go as soft as one would like, even at low tyre pressures. They are much better than the ninebot tyres, which have walls that are much too stuff, and stop the tyres from reacting correctly (IMO) to an obstacle. I considered buying these 'speed tyres', but more4mini has such sparse specs on them, and no decent photographs. So I settled for some 70/65-6.5 thorn-resistant tyres from China (via Amazon US, but Aliexpress has many vendors for these) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTCWJ37 For $20, they do a good job, and arrived in 10 days from order. Although they only weigh the same 24ozs as the Ninebot tyres, they are 4 Ply Rating rather than the 2PR of the Ninebot, and certainly look 'thorn resistant.' I need more riding to check that claim, however. They do 'cushion' properly at obstacles, but are still a little heavy for the (approx) 120Kg peak load of a miniPro plus rider.

I chose the 70/65 tyres, even though top speed is less than the 90/65, as I wanted more torque (I weigh a lot ,and ride up hills) rather than more speed :)

Hope that helps!

4 hours ago, trevmar said:

I have the 90/65-6.5 tyres more4mini label as "off-road." Only complaint is that they are really too heavy for a device like a MiniPro (weighing 40ozs), the cushion of air cannot go as soft as one would like, even at low tyre pressures. They are much better than the ninebot tyres, which have walls that are much too stuff, and stop the tyres from reacting correctly (IMO) to an obstacle. I considered buying these 'speed tyres', but more4mini has such sparse specs on them, and no decent photographs. So I settled for some 70/65-6.5 thorn-resistant tyres from China (via Amazon US, but Aliexpress has many vendors for these) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTCWJ37 For $20, they do a good job, and arrived in 10 days from order. Although they only weigh the same 24ozs as the Ninebot tyres, they are 4 Ply Rating rather than the 2PR of the Ninebot, and certainly look 'thorn resistant.' I need more riding to check that claim, however. They do 'cushion' properly at obstacles, but are still a little heavy for the (approx) 120Kg peak load of a miniPro plus rider.

I chose the 70/65 tyres, even though top speed is less than the 90/65, as I wanted more torque (I weigh a lot ,and ride up hills) rather than more speed :)

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info!  Besides the sparse specs, I have also emailed them about them three times with no response.  Not a good sign.  

I am curious how the higher speed is even achieved as well.  Does the app/device think it is going 11 but it will go 12.5?  Doesn’t quite make sense to me yet.  Although I am still intrigued.  

16 minutes ago, IRK said:

I am curious how the higher speed is even achieved as well.  Does the app/device think it is going 11 but it will go 12.5?  Doesn’t quite make sense to me yet.  Although I am still intrigued.  

The motor is turning at a specific RPM, and the MiniPro calculates your speed by multiplying that RPM with the wheel diameter (and a scaling constant). When you change to a bigger wheel diameter (by using a bigger tyre) you don't tell the MiniPro, so it thinks you are driving about 15% slower than you really are :)

Edited by trevmar

47 minutes ago, trevmar said:

The motor is turning at a specific RPM, and the MiniPro calculates your speed by multiplying that RPM with the wheel diameter (and a scaling constant). When you change to a bigger wheel diameter (by using a bigger tyre) you don't tell the MiniPro, so it thinks you are driving about 15% slower than you really are :)

Aha!  That makes sense.  So it says 11 on the app but it is incorrect.... I get it.  

I only got my Pro a month ago and have 65 miles on it already but am learning all this stuff.  Love the device. A ton. Would Ike a little more speed personally and this might be a way to get it pretty easily although putting these wheels on might be a nightmare I see from searches. Fenders too.  Might try anyway.

Maybe you could answer one more question I can’t find the answer to..... how do I get the app to be ‘clear’ like all these photos show online?  Mine is only white or black... I am on an iPhone. If you can’t answer no problem!  

I'm hoping to install the new high speed tires, but it could take me quite a while to get to that job.  I'm not sure they have any larger diameter than the Hybrid Tires, they are likely the same, but offer to smoother tread pattern.  I'll likely measure the diameter tomorrow, just so I know.  

I'm hoping to do the speed hack on the firm ware eventually.  Currently just been using my e-bike when I need to go farther or faster.  The PTR Elite from Ninebot also goes a bit faster, but is so noisy and not as much fun as the MiniPro, it does not have the refined operation the  MiniPro and EUCs have.

Edited by FreeRide

59 minutes ago, trevmar said:

On my android phone you just wipe your finger down a vacant part of the screen to change the camera back and forth.

Thanks!  I was able to figure it out!

15 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

I'm hoping to install the new high speed tires, but it could take me quite a while to get to that job.  I'm not sure they have any larger diameter than the Hybrid Tires, they are likely the same, but offer to smoother tread pattern.  I'll likely measure the diameter tomorrow, just so I know.  

I'm hoping to do the speed hack on the firm ware eventually.  Currently just been using my e-bike when I need to go farther or faster.  The PTR Elite from Ninebot also goes a bit faster, but is so noisy and not as much fun as the MiniPro, it doe snot have the refined operation the  MiniPro and EUCs have.

Yeah. The hack sounds super interesting as well. 

I measured the circumference of the Hybrid tires and the new Speed tires from MoreForMini.  Uninflated both tires had a circumference measured near the same at 84.5cm.  Inflated the MiniPro stock tires have a measured circumference of 81.5cm.

So far all I can say is the two aftermarket tires will probably reach the same speed, but without inflating the tires there is not enough increase in the circumference to get much of a speed difference between the stock tires.  It will be interesting to install these and see if the measured circumference aligns with what is expected.  

Edited by FreeRide

35 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

I measured the circumference of the Hybrid tires and the new Speed tires from MoreForMini.  Uninflated both tires had a circumference measured near the same at 84.5cm.  Inflated the MiniPro stock tires have a measured circumference of 81.5cm.

So far all I can say is the two aftermarket tires will probably reach the same speed, but without inflating the tires there is not enough increase in the circumference to get much of a speed difference between the stock tires.  It will be interesting to install these and see if the measured circumference aligns with what is expected.  

Gotcha.  Not even sure it is worth it for a 1.5mph increase really.  I mostly do city riding here in LA so the hybrid isn’t really necessary. But when I say the new speed tire it did peak my interest.  I love this transporter.  Use it often but do wish it had a touch more pace.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have not tried the more4mini ones, but just installed these 90/65-6.5 tires.

http://www.extremescooters.biz/90-65-6-5-tubeless-tire-with-tread-154-263.aspx

I love them! Taller and wider. Very nice stable ride.

The original tires were 32 inch circumference the new ones are 36.625 inches.

That is 12.5% larger. So actual top speed should be about 12 mph.

They were super easy to install. The hardest part was modifying the original fenders.

The difference in speed was noticeable.

If you are on the fence, I say go for it!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 68bugboy said:

I have not tried the more4mini ones, but just installed these 90/65-6.5 tires.

http://www.extremescooters.biz/90-65-6-5-tubeless-tire-with-tread-154-263.aspx

I love them! Taller and wider. Very nice stable ride.

The original tires were 32 inch circumference the new ones are 36.625 inches.

That is 12.5% larger. So actual top speed should be about 12 mph.

They were super easy to install. The hardest part was modifying the original fenders.

The difference in speed was noticeable.

If you are on the fence, I say go for it!

Nice!  I am leaning towards it for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/29/2018 at 7:08 PM, FreeRide said:

I finished mounting these 'Speed Tires' from More4Mini today.  I measured the circumference inflated to 57psi and it was 91.5-92cm  so 12.88% increase approximately compared to my stock tires.  May do thread on the replacement, but just wanted to report the circumference for the record.

Edited by FreeRide
Corrected the percentage from 8.89% to 12.88%

17 minutes ago, FreeRide said:

I finished mounting these 'Speed Tires' from More4Mini today.  I measured the circumference inflated to 57psi and it was 91.5-92cm  so 8.89% increase approximately compared to my stock tires.  May do thread on the replacement, but just wanted to report the circumference for the record.

And how is the ride?  

Thanks for the updates!

So after 1000km (1003.x) i decided it was time to try some new tires on one of the MiniPros. I had intended to do that quite some time ago, but it looked like more trouble than i needed at the time, i just wanted to be riding.

I debated a long time between the More4Mini Hybrid Tires and their newer 'Speed' (now called 'Sport') Tires, I already own both.  I went with the 'Sport' tires, because the original tires actually worked very well for me, but now i'll likely mount the Hybrid tires on a second MiniPro because it's easy enough. I'll probably wait until i've thought about the fenders some more. The Sport Tires are Innova 90/65-6.5 tires.

The good news is, changing the tires was easier than i thought it would be. I did use 3 smaller 1ft tire irons to remove the tire, and 2 to mount the new ones. Pretty easy, you don't need 2-3ft irons or incredible force.  I wiped the tires and wheel with my all purpose rag I use for mineral oil application. Just used a very small amount that was already on the cloth from previous uses, I didn't add to the cloth. I used my 12V VIAIR 88 compressor to inflate the tires and set the bead without issue. I didn't need excessive pressure. I did get the tread going the wrong way, but didn't feel like correcting it for this tread. I didn't think to check until I had one wheel already mounted.  It was too easy, I wish I could have stopped there, but no... the fenders.

Having to modify the fenders was about as much trouble as I thought unfortunately. It's not hard, but I followed the basic approach Robert posted long ago removing the plastic mounting supports from the bottom of the fenders and simply sliding them up their metal mounting brackets/posts. Unlike the full instructions, I was too lazy to drill and tap the brackets for a secure mount, so I used a foam wedge system like the original mounting. This was harder as now the friction mount is in a different place where the curve of the fenders is not helping.  It was easy though, and I may go back and tap the brackets and secure the fenders with a fastener during the winter.... or maybe not .... there is always zipties and double-sided tape :)  You can't lift the my MiniPro by the fenders any more, but I never did that anyway. I used a dremel and cut-off wheel to remove the supports, takes less than 5 minutes. After slicing there were a couple tabs left over on the outside of the fender from the mount structure and I sliced those off (see photos). I put the brackets on first as the wheels were already mounted, and then just slid the brackets on from the top to the correct height. I scored the metal brackets at the base of the fender so I knew the height.  I then messed around, and 3M mounting tape was too thick for a new wedge to keep the fender in place on the bracket, so I had to use 3M double-sided scotch-tape and  some thin sliced foam.  I may revisit this later, easy to do. 

The wheels looked so much better without the cheap plastic hub covers, I decided to leave them off. I don't think I will ever put them back. Maybe i'll be able to find some classy covers eventually.  

I did a very short test run with the tires about 48psi and later settled on about 58psi. You can see in the photo of the tire with the dirt, the two different contact areas for the two tire pressures. I'm still thinking about it, but I think i'm going to go for the smother 48psi ride, since the MiniPro range is already losing out to my e-bike so significantly it's not my choice for longer trips.  I have not range tested the PTR Elite yet, but if I had a second battery for it then it would be pretty nice. The problem is the battery weight, and it is harder to swap in the field.

It's too early for a detailed report, but the ride physically was more similar than different at 58psi compared to the original, but still a different feel, and I would say better. At 48psi the difference seemed greater, but I was using different footpads for the two tests.  

The speed increase was instantly noticeable I was quite surprised.  I didn't think I would really notice the small change, but I did.  It is small though and I expect I will quickly adapt to it and it will feel like the original in no time, and the MiniPro will be beeping at me again.   

So far i'm happy, and look forward to more testing, and in combination with the new foot boards.

9A1A89A7-BB9F-4716-A06B-C7DE7DBE7850.jpeg

8D461676-76DA-4F8A-8774-47BDCAF1D102.jpeg

51068C0C-3903-487E-86DE-AF1EFE3AE96D.jpeg

525E89B4-3C93-4016-937E-CF9B0A993E30.jpeg

AB08F669-4BD5-4554-B00A-0073B9F27FEB.jpeg

413434AC-BBB8-420D-B65A-F9E48880E582.jpeg

78799157-D33C-43F3-96B7-F59C8FA1F928.jpeg

276176C2-C0CC-4CF2-BD07-EFA567490C26.jpeg

B0E48805-93E7-4AF8-8630-E78ABACB4DEB.jpeg

Edited by FreeRide
Typos, missed point
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for that detailed write up @FreeRide that is immensely helpful.  

I mostly ride on city streets here in Los Angeles, so the hybrid tires aren’t needed for me.  But the Speed Tires will now be ordered.  I am not hardy at all, so the fender adjustment will be an adventure for sure!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 4:22 PM, FreeRide said:

Did you get you tires yet?  I just reduced the pressure to 32 PSI today.  I'll leave it like that for a while.

Just got them but the delivery was poorly handled by UPS and one of the fenders is bent.  Replacement is on the way.  Then on they go.

• 1 month later...

As I mentioned in in other post we need to start a petition to have ninebot stop supplying the stock tire! They are paper thin and the reason that broken glass is constantly cutting into it, hence why everybody needs to put green stuff as soon as they buy a mini!!

Right now buying a Hybrid tire is actually a must after you're done putting green stuff in your tire...