Jump to content
RinconadaCliff

GOTWAY Msuper3 | battery weirdness (the newbie file)

Recommended Posts

so I'm gliding on home, nervously checking my DarknessBot's battery percentage. It said 16%. A few minutes later, I look down again and it said, 30%. I couldn't believe it. 

am I missing something here?

Your newbie friend

Rinco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, RinconadaCliff said:

so I'm gliding on home, nervously checking my DarknessBot's battery percentage. It said 16%. A few minutes later, I look down again and it said, 30%. I couldn't believe it. 

am I missing something here?

Your newbie friend

Rinco

When you are pushing the hole time, the voltage of the battery might drop a good amount….if you later than just "glided" it might revert back to higher amounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think of the battery reading as what you have left, after what you are currently using.  example: If you start with 100% while stationary, then climb a long steep hill, your reading while climbing, might be 70%.  Meaning you're using 30% of the power to maintain your climb, and the battery can give you the remaining 70% if you accelerate, or hit a bump, etc.  If you come to a stop a few minutes later, it might read 95% meaning that on your climb, you used 5% of the battery power.  The difference is between the two states; "at rest" and "under load".

To get the most accurate read of your available battery power, take the reading at rest.  To get an understanding of how close you are to a shut down, take the reading under load.  If under load, your available battery is low, reduce your power demand, because any slight additional power demand could put you in the red, literally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason for that is, the battery percentage is in reality the battery voltage, interpolating between max voltage ("100%") and min voltage ("0%") instead of giving the actual battery percentage in terms of capacity used. There might as well be a 10-15% difference between voltage under no load and voltage under load. That's why somewhere around 20% battery is considered empty, under load that is so close to 0% that the wheel will stop you. The voltage may also recover further after the wheel has been at rest for a while.

So what @Smoother says is a good way to think about what the battery percentage means. These fluctuations are normal.

Edited by meepmeepmayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The reason for that is, the battery percentage is in reality the battery voltage, interpolating between max voltage ("100%") and min voltage ("0%") instead of giving the actual battery percentage in terms of capacity used. There might as well be a 10-15% difference between voltage under no load and voltage under load. That's why somewhere around 20% battery is considered empty, under load that is so close to 0% that the wheel will stop you. The voltage may also recover further after the wheel has been at rest for a while.

So what @Smoother says is a good way to think about what the battery percentage means. These fluctuations are normal.

Thank you !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...