Who else is waiting for the new 16 inch models?

meepmeepmayer

On 7/28/2018 at 12:38 AM, Thai-lad said:

The trend to this can be clearly seen with each new generation of wheels.  As the costs of the wheels increase as well as their size and weight, they become less and less attractive as a "last mile" option for commuters who must lug them up and down stairs and then protect them from those who would happily make off with them if they were unattended while the owners are shopping, dining or working.  And as they get more expensive, fewer and fewer newcomers will be tempted to learn to ride them..  So the manufacturers seem to be chasing a smaller and smaller segment of the market simply because the enthusiasts are the ones posting videos on YouTube,  thereby generating the publicity they need to drive product sales,  But to really bring down costs, the manufacturers need to broaden their appeal and bring in more new riders.

The enthusiasts provide the needed bread and butter sales to expand appeal. Disappointing them may crash the whole thing. It is the enthusiasts that drive the refinement and improvements that will ultimately stabilize the industry enough to attract a wider market through marketing campaigns (which are very expensive).

There are plenty of first-timer wheels for newcomers and apparently there are enough used wheels being passed on by current riders to satisfy the current newcomer demand. 

Wheel manufacturers are mostly small companies that must take a targeted approach. In my opinion building, a stable community of ride enthusiasts creates the cornerstone and foundation for wider sales of safer and more refined wheels at every level. It is the enthusiast that is helping the most to market this industry at whatever rate it is currently expanding; Youtube channels, Facebook, Communities, Forums, etc. To overlook them is disastrous. I don't that there is much demand to improve and upgrade the affordable learner wheels that newbies would most likely be riding. These tend to get passed around. Perhaps the solution is to find an equilibrium between keeping learner wheels less expensive while making them more attractive as longer-term, lifestyle wheels (more power and range, and cool styling designs). 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

3. I Can't speak to whether the Inmotion handle is more sturdy, but I seriously doubt it is as stable a handle that is connected at two points as opposed to just one.

I'll take that bet, for say $500.

I mean, let's take each respective wheel and apply equal force to it in any direction. If the Inmotion breaks before the KS18L, I pay you $500, but if the KS18L breaks before, then you pay me $500.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I'll take that bet, for say $500.

I mean, let's take each respective wheel and apply equal force to it in any direction. If the Inmotion breaks before the KS18L, I pay you $500, but if the KS18L breaks before, then you pay me $500.

Gambling is a rather trivial allocation for hard-earned income. Furthermore, the bluff; my bad, I mean bet to which you have challenged me has absolutely nothing to do with my original point speaking to what I suspect are the trolleying characteristics of each handle type based on design.

So that you get me; stability, in the sense that I used it, refers to the riders control of the wheel steering and maneuvering while trolleying; not which would be the most resistant to pressure or impact forces deliberately applied to see which one of us will receive $500. I am sure both wheels' trolley handles have enough strength to perform their respective tasks adequately enough 

Although I am sure the Inmotion trolleys just fine, I suspect that due to greater stability the Kingsong (18L, 16s, etc.) offers a slightly superior trolleying experience. 

If you feel so strongly about the trolley handle comparison prove your point; demonstrate it. Keep your $500 in your pocket and post (or find) a video conducting an objective test of the strength characteristics of each handle.

I think that all information that adds to the body of knowledge delights wheel enthusiasts; so, please enlighten the topic with more than opinion.

Archived