Who else is waiting for the new 16 inch models?

meepmeepmayer

All this is pure speculation.

• KingSong's new 16 incher with the 18L motor (or similar) - sweet sweet 2000W, finally on par with the current Gotway and Inmotion offerings. But with the 16S form factor which is simply great. Will they finally offer bigger batteries, too, and steal a lot of GW customers?
  • Surely Gotway have to be cooking something new up? The Tesla came out 9 months ago (or so), and the ACM2 seems more like moving the Tesla improvements to the ACM because it was easy to do (and maybe they ran out of old inventory parts anyways). But a 16 incher with the latest 100V Monster/msuper X style, much improved board has to come out eventually. Specs are going to be glorious (provided they don't again limit themselves to 1000Wh like with the Tesla). Will it be a new design (I surely hope so) or simply the ACM with threaded inserts in the shell and a new board (just like going from Tesla-ized msuper V3 to the X)?
  • Is the IPS S5 available to buy already? Not a mainstream wheel, but certainly an interesting one.

With all the shiny new 18 inchers (msX, 18L, Z) and the V10/V10F coming out recently (which seems to have a bit of a high performance overheating problem?), who is more interested in skipping them and waiting for new 16 inchers from the two biggest brands? Any ideas what to expect, and when? Will KS announce theirs less early, so we might be surprised by it this year? Will a new GW wheel be there one day without much heads-up again?

Speculate away!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure hope there will be some mighty competition between the companies for next round of 16", I want a mighty Tesla 2, but being Gotway will they care for redesigning a shell or better yet a new one? 

To me GW seams into everything on motor/battery/and these days controller, rest is not very that through imho but I wish they would cause it all start in the shell in a many ways. Cramming in a lot of batteries into a compact small case and still keep a smart design with good weight redistribution (center of gravity etc), integrated trolley handle (preferably with cut switch), making it strong and durable requite more than just drawing one up at home in under an hour but I really do hope we can see more from GW in this regard in a near future.

I thought about this a lot yesterday while riding my MSX. What would I want as a second wheel.... A 3x16" tire with msx pedal rake and more power in the acm style shell. 1000wh is fine

This would give you small wheel torque with 16" stability in a small form factor that you can grab and go for Bodega Runs. +bonus points if they make the tire protrude like the 18l

MSX is too big, Tesla is almost too big for short neighborhood runs(tho the trolley is clutch). MCM4 is too slow now... mten3? 

2 hours ago, Electroman said:

I wish they would cause it all start in the shell in a many ways. Cramming in a lot of batteries into a compact small case and still keep a smart design with good weight redistribution (center of gravity etc), integrated trolley handle (preferably with cut switch), making it strong and durable requite more than just drawing one up at home in under an hour

2 hours ago, dieterGRAMS said:

A 3x16" tire with msx pedal rake and more power in the acm style shell.

Haha yep, that's the exact wishlist I have too. Nothing new, just better with some comfort features, and a 3 inch tire might be interesting.

2 hours ago, dieterGRAMS said:

1000wh is fine

NOOOOOOOO:eff04a58a6: That's my biggest worry, any new GW design would be limited to 1000Wh like the Tesla, and KS won't have bigger batteries as well. Then there is no more long range 16 incher!

My perfect wheel would be like the ACM with 2 of the usual battery packs on each side (low center of gravity)... and I guess the board has to be on top then, so it can't be quite as low. That would allow for 3200 sweet, sweet Wh!!!:efeeec645d:

Hehehe, yeah absolutely do not kill off the ACM that is a classic!

But designs from here on could be more though through, seams like a few are ok with 1k Wh too especially city riders carrying their wheels through stairs etc, and I could see myself with one too, but yeah keep the ACM in 16" range for sure hehe. ?

I was interested in getting a new kingsong 16" or at least wait for the new model.  Out of curiosity I emailed Kingsong if they are  coming out with one soon.  They responded and recommended me to get the ks16s because a new moedel  will not be coming out anytime soon, at least that was what Tina Wong from kingsong said.

3 hours ago, BSLrider said:

I was interested in getting a new kingsong 16" or at least wait for the new model.  Out of curiosity I emailed Kingsong if they are  coming out with one soon.  They responded and recommended me to get the ks16s because a new moedel  will not be coming out anytime soon, at least that was what Tina Wong from kingsong said.

It took forever for KingSong to get the 18L out the door. You'll be lucky if a new KingSong 16-inch wheel gets to the mark in 2019.

Gotway is the only manufacturer that's cranking out the new wheels faster than people can buy them.

I understand the desire to have wheels that can go 50+ miles on a charge, but most of the time I am a commuter who only needs 10 miles at most every day. It is very handy to not lug around more lithium and ion than I need. I regularly need to carry the wheel up stairs and store it under a subway seat, so a big heavy 60 pound wheel is not something I want to deal with every day. I'm still making do with my KS14C but ideally would like a new 16-inch wheel. Count me in for a new model! 

8 minutes ago, dmethvin said:

I understand the desire to have wheels that can go 50+ miles on a charge, but most of the time I am a commuter who only needs 10 miles at most every day. It is very handy to not lug around more lithium and ion than I need. I regularly need to carry the wheel up stairs and store it under a subway seat, so a big heavy 60 pound wheel is not something I want to deal with every day. I'm still making do with my KS14C but ideally would like a new 16-inch wheel. Count me in for a new model! 

There are plenty of lightweight 16-inch wheels with decent spec's: V8, KS16S, Tesla, GT16, etc. What are they missing that a new model will provide you? I'm curious.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

There are plenty of lightweight 16-inch wheels with decent spec's: V8, KS16S, Tesla, GT16, etc. What are they missing that a new model will provide you? I'm curious.

Actually, I was thinking about getting the Solowheel S3 version of the V8 that ewheels.com sells because it seems like the perfect compromise. At the moment I'm trying to decide whether to get knee surgery next month from the unplanned dismount I had back in March, and in that case I wouldn't be able to ride it for a few months. 

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

2000W Motor

25+ mph (40km)

Better weight balance (not top heavy)

Thicker tire

Slim design (V8 form factor not taller)

~25miles range (40km)

17 minutes ago, wheelr said:

2000W Motor

25+ mph (40km)

Better weight balance (not top heavy)

Thicker tire

Slim design (V8 form factor not taller)

~25miles range (40km)

that sounds pretty close to my new TESLA...

30 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

that sounds pretty close to my new TESLA...

Yes, though I still desire the craftsmanship of Inmotion and the slim design of the V8. The Tesla is by far the closest fit to what I would regard as the perfect wheel for me.

1 minute ago, wheelr said:

Yes, though I still desire the craftsmanship of Inmotion and the slim design of the V8. The Tesla is by far the closest fit to what I would regard as the perfect wheel for me.

It's pretty slim... as far as craftsmanship... I am struggling to decide exactly how that plays out for me... let me try to explain. I own 3 KS wheels, they are clearly built better than my Tesla and I am sure than the MCM5 I have coming soon... this is well known and even Marty during his last live podcast said the same. There is a "Reputation" that hangs over the head of GW, as you are probably very well aware of if you follow this forum... SO, my question to myself is what is the DIRECT effect of the inferior "CRAFTSMANSHIP" you eluded to in your post...

I ask myself these questions among others... Is the wheel safe?, has it or do I expect it to "FAIL" in some way while I am riding it?, have I experienced any reason or read of anyone else's experience recently to cause me great concern?... Etc... The answer as of right now is that I really like the Tesla as much as my 16S which I absolutely Love. I need to define for myself exactly what "Craftsmanship" means and it's effect. I could say that a Ford Taurus is inferior craftsmanship than a Mercedes Benz... does that make the Ford bad?   

I have spent too much time analyzing posts here to make my decisions... the one thing I will agree on with regard to "craftsmanship" is that if I crash on my GW wheel, the chances of damaging the shell is far greater than my KS wheels... I know and understand that and Jason will get a call from me if that happens and I will spend the $100 to solve the issue... That being said, the performance benefit is worth it to me and others... 

When the corvettes first came out, I could imagine some people telling their buddies they were out of their mind to buy a car made out of fiberglass... as they blew by them on Main Street at 100 mph... :)

31 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

I could say that a Ford Taurus is inferior craftsmanship than a Mercedes Benz... does that make the Ford bad?   

The anachronistic 'American sedan', especially the Ford Taurus, is doomed! I never drove a Benz, but have fond memories of the Taurus S.H.O. I drove in college. It's all about trucks and SUV's from here on out in the U.S. I'm afraid...

800x-1.png

8 minutes ago, RayRay said:

The anachronistic 'American sedan', especially the Ford Taurus, is doomed! I never drove a Benz, but have fond memories of the Taurus S.H.O. I drove in college. It's all about trucks and SUV's from here on out in the U.S. I'm afraid...

800x-1.png

I actually heard that Ford is going to stop making cars and just produce Trucks... may just be in the US, not sure or when that will start...

25 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

It's pretty slim... as far as craftsmanship... I am struggling to decide exactly how that plays out for me... let me try to explain. I own 3 KS wheels, they are clearly built better than my Tesla and I am sure than the MCM5 I have coming soon... this is well known and even Marty during his last live podcast said the same. There is a "Reputation" that hangs over the head of GW, as you are probably very well aware of if you follow this forum... SO, my question to myself is what is the DIRECT effect of the inferior "CRAFTSMANSHIP" you eluded to in your post...

I ask myself these questions among others... Is the wheel safe?, has it or do I expect it to "FAIL" in some way while I am riding it?, have I experienced any reason or read of anyone else's experience recently to cause me great concern?... Etc... The answer as of right now is that I really like the Tesla as much as my 16S which I absolutely Love. I need to define for myself exactly what "Craftsmanship" means and it's effect. I could say that a Ford Taurus is inferior craftsmanship than a Mercedes Benz... does that make the Ford bad?   

I have spent too much time analyzing posts here to make my decisions... the one thing I will agree on with regard to "craftsmanship" is that if I crash on my GW wheel, the chances of damaging the shell is far greater than my KS wheels... I know and understand that and Jason will get a call from me if that happens and I will spend the $100 to solve the issue... That being said, the performance benefit is worth it to me and others... 

When the corvettes first came out, I could imagine some people telling their buddies they were out of their mind to buy a car made out of fiberglass... as they blew by them on Main Street at 100 mph... :)

While superior design and craftsmanship can impact function, safety and reliability, my desire for it originates mostly from vanity.

2 minutes ago, wheelr said:

While superior design and craftsmanship can impact function, safety and reliability, my desire for it originates mostly from vanity.

Just buy All of them like I seem to be doing and you have all bases covered... LOL :eff02518bb:

On 7/21/2018 at 2:33 PM, Marty Backe said:

It took forever for KingSong to get the 18L out the door. You'll be lucky if a new KingSong 16-inch wheel gets to the mark in 2019.

Gotway is the only manufacturer that's cranking out the new wheels faster than people can buy them.

While you were posting this Gotway released 3 new wheels.?

1 hour ago, RayRay said:

800x-1.png

100% of the newer vehicles in my neighborhood are light trucks and such. Not maybe 99% and a single car, no; 100% are trucks.

Middle-aged men used to buy sportscars. Evidently, that is no longer the case.

My Kia Forte hatchback, which by the way can fit a queen sized bedframe AND a matress (with some inventive and possibly illegal positioning), is absolutely dwarfed whenever I drive it. It's some perverse auto arms race where vehicles are constantly evolving to be bigger.

Back to topic; I wonder how high quality (read impact resistant) the MCM5 is. I'm thinking of getting rid of all my wheels for just a single ultra powerful 14 incher. 

MCM5 looks like the ultimate urban commuter tool.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

100% of the newer vehicles in my neighborhood are light trucks and such. Not maybe 99% and a single car, no; 100% are trucks.

Middle-aged men used to buy sportscars. Evidently, that is no longer the case.

My Kia Forte hatchback, which by the way can fit a queen sized bedframe AND a matress (with some inventive and possibly illegal positioning), is absolutely dwarfed whenever I drive it. It's some perverse auto arms race where vehicles are constantly evolving to be bigger.

Back to topic; I wonder how high quality (read impact resistant) the MCM5 is. I'm thinking of getting rid of all my wheels for just a single ultra powerful 14 incher. 

MCM5 looks like the ultimate urban commuter tool.

The MCM5 feels like a tough wheel. And it's all egg shape, so no hard edge like what can be found on the ACM or MSuper. I've crashed mine a couple of times and nothing self-destructed.

Tesla Duo should have:

dual 2000w HP motor, hi-torque AND hi-speed,

dual fan/dual controller for heat control and redundancy,

dual battery, 800wh each, low placed, splitted to both sides.

higher pedals, or higher profile tubeless tyre, 

3-4 inch wide, 16-17inch MC tyre.

better, stronger, but same trolley,

better, stronger but same light. 

My entirely speculative predictions to the end of the year. 

• V10F: Inmotion will either raise the temperature threshold to allow higher temperatures on heatsink similar to where KS/GW are at 80°C, or redesign the board to allow for greater heat absorption/dissipation. This Wheel still holds so much promise, IMO there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it, if only IM HQ can focus on details like making a rock-sold firmware, the handle, & start getting the Wheel shipped out in volume. 
  • Tesla: without telling anyone, start shipping the Tesla out with a TO-247 board, similar to MCM5/MSX by the end of the summer &  begin planning of a new 16" design with a wider tire & >1600Wh battery pack for early 2019. 
  • KS16X: unveil, but not release, a 84v new design, max speed of 40kph, 1200Wh pack, 2.5" wide tire. It will be shipped, by pure coincidence, to come off the factory-line the same day as the new 16" Gotway—this is what happened with the MSX/18L

Archived