A couple more weird things with the 18L...

Circuitmage

Just now, US69 said:

@Duf

Just one question:

Even if you might experience a failure at the moment and it might be not the right time to ask......whats your opinion about build quality?

Build quality is fantastic, really, really good.  Can't wait to get this battery issue sorted out.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Duf said:

Build quality is fantastic, really, really good.  Can't wait to get this battery issue sorted out.

Thats what i want to hear ;-) 

Hope you get your issue sorted out soon! Just do yourself a favor...IF both packs go to different voltage...do NOT connect them together again, i am sure you know this...but this must be said!

Just now, US69 said:

Thats what i want to hear ;-) 

Hope you get your issue sorted out soon! Just do yourself a favor...IF both packs go to different voltage...do NOT connect them together again, i am sure you know this...but this must be said!

Yep, I doubt I will ride the wheel until this all gets fixed.

Just now, Duf said:

Yep, I doubt I will ride the wheel until this all gets fixed.

Its just dangerous to connect packs with a different voltage...thats why even if ONLY one pack or one/two cells fail, the BMS will not allow those  two packs to differ at any time and perhpas only allow charging to a specific voltage !  But the testing Jason advised you  will find out soon!

i saw your first 18l video and was first comment...as always....great video!!!

If you have specific questions....don’t hesitate to ask!

Just to make things even stranger....  I figured just to be thorough, I should do the same test on the other battery pack so I reversed the connections and charged it by itself.  Guess what, it charged to 84.2 volts as well.  I hooked both batteries back up and the voltage still reported as 84.2 and 100%.  After corresponding with Jason I am going to put it back together, ride it and see how the next charging cycle goes.  Very strange behavior...

The bit of weirdness I've noticed: the wheel seems to have a strange power curve at low speeds, where it feels sluggish up to and then gives you more power when riding above 10mph.

Maybe it's all in my head, but does anyone else feel the same? Because of it, I've felt a little unsure riding up short, steep off-road hills. Like it's not gonna make it, whereas my V8 does fine.

Maybe I do need to calibrate a little forward lean in, like I enjoy with my V8 (+2.2degrees). Would be nice if you could set it as easily, a la the Inmotion app.

Other than that, I'm still loving my 18L, even if I did scratch it a bit the other day... (some plonker pedestrian on his phone decided to cut right across the path into me as I rode past, wheel scraped a wall)

22 minutes ago, nte said:

The V8 is a 14" wheel right?

I went from the 14" S1 to the 18L and also felt like it was slow to accelerate at low speeds.

I think this feeling is normal when coming from a smaller wheel.

I did a quick test in the house the other day using the S1. I went from a very slow roll to wind noise in my ears/hair flying around in about 8-10 feet. The S1 also weighs roughly half compared to the 18L. So the extra weight plus the larger wheel isn't going the accelerate the same way. These 14" wheels really accelerate.

As far as the uncertainty when going up the short steep hills, I initially felt that as well but this video comes to mind when I think about it

Yeah, how the shit did he do that.. I certainly haven't managed it yet. The wheel just stops.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:15 AM, Duf said:

Just to make things even stranger....  I figured just to be thorough, I should do the same test on the other battery pack so I reversed the connections and charged it by itself.  Guess what, it charged to 84.2 volts as well.  I hooked both batteries back up and the voltage still reported as 84.2 and 100%.  After corresponding with Jason I am going to put it back together, ride it and see how the next charging cycle goes.  Very strange behavior...

I had the same issue with my KS16S last week. It would only charge to 63%.  So I went for a ride and ran it down below 10% and now it charges up to 100%.  I have owned the wheel since January and this has not happen before; very strange.

Well my initial testing does not make me feel warm and fuzzy.  I was at 95% battery at the start of a 6 mile round trip and at 61-62% at the end of it. :(  I will run it down lower and see what sort of charge cycle I get.  I did just get the notice for the 1.10 firmware which I am installing now...

It's too bad people have to deal with these issues on brand new wheels after such a long wait for the wheel.  It seems like the later half of 2018 is marked with some first model release issues for King Song and InMotion.  At least the Ninebot Z10 seems to be fairly reliable so far.  We haven't heard any reports of problems yet coming from that wheel.  Also the MCM5 seems pretty solid.  MsuperX seems to have some battery charging issues for one rider. 

20 minutes ago, Duf said:

Well my initial testing does not make me feel warm and fuzzy.  I was at 95% battery at the start of a 6 mile round trip and at 61-62% at the end of it. :(  I will run it down lower and see what sort of charge cycle I get.  I did just get the notice for the 1.10 firmware which I am installing now...

Thats a bit scant...

Give the wheel 2-3 charge cycles, perhaps there is still a battery problem...

Reports so far are indicating the same 16-20wh per km consumption as on other wheels...which means about 50-60km, depending on weight, speed and so on. As you are not that heavy guy i see no reason why you would not reach that, too...

On 8/8/2018 at 10:56 PM, Kael said:

Yeah, how the shit did he do that.. I certainly haven't managed it yet. The wheel just stops.

That left many people wonder on the French forum as well. Wheel power or torque is not the issue, the issue is the ability for the user to provide the counter torque required to go up.

As the pedals are relatively small compared to wheel size, the lever effect is minimal. So the theory is, the guy on the video is holding tightly the wheel between his knees to apply torque also on the upper part of the wheel.

Other riders also grasp the handle to do the same.

9 hours ago, US69 said:

Reports so far are indicating the same 16-20wh per km consumption as on other wheels...which means about 50-60km, depending on weight, speed and so on. As you are not that heavy guy i see no reason why you would not reach that, too...

So you're saying that I won't reach that then...   :unsure:

16 minutes ago, Duf said:

As debatted with Duf on PM he should/must get the wheel back...there is definitely a prob with the battery, which has to get sorted out!

Trying DIY repairs is not the way to go.....batterys problems is a serious issue!

40 minutes ago, Duf said:

Bummer. Too many variables for you to troubleshoot by substitution. I wouldn't. Send it to the Tuscon repair center and tell them to make it right. You could swap batteries and have same problem. Then what .. control board? I doubt you fixing by replacing parts will get you a running KS18L any faster than sending it back. Send it back and ride the Meapo. You probably already have a bad taste in your mouth, don't make it worse by continued DIY repair frustration. Just sayin.. 

• 1 month later...

So, a couple more things I noticed,

1) Related to BT being on while charging: I had mine charging at work last week, and all of a sudden it said "BLUETOOTH ACTIVATED" (or whatever it says when it turns on) and some lady was speaking Chinese through it. I must assume it was someone in my building that selected it and was on their phone, but I don't really know what was going on there.

2) With all my lock up issues and initial posts about it potentially being the lift sensor, I really did not use the lift function for about 2 months. I recently gained confidence (not having a lock up in more than 400 km) I started noticing maybe it works better when I tilt it slightly to the right. It works more like 75%-90% of the time if I do this. I suppose this may mean the unit was originally "calibrated" leaning slightly to the right? I have not tried nor dare to recalibrate it yet...but I think that may answer a question as to why so many people have issues with the lift sensor.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, Circuitmage said:

I have not tried nor dare to recalibrate it yet...but I think that may answer a question as to why so many people have issues with the lift sensor.

If you have the latest firmware there shouldn't be any issue recalibrating the lift sensor... After doing mine, it works 100% of the time.

NOTE: I don't ever just lift the wheel - I will take the weight with the handle and wait (the half second) for the activation beep, then carry it where I need to go (usually up / down the stairs at my office) and then set it down, hear the deactivation beep and I am good to go.

• 1 month later...

I had a weird thing today with my 18L I’d never seen mentioned before. 

When charging (in off state, no lights on), my 18L suddenly started beeping. A single beep once every 5 seconds. When I pressed On button, the EUC showed two red lights on each side, one in the middle of the led bands, one on the top. When I pressed The button again, the EUC turned off. I disconnected the wheel from the charger and On the next button press the EUC turned on and worked normally.

So, what it was? Is it dangerous? I’m a bit paranoid about strange things while charging, since I’m very afraid of the fire. 

6 minutes ago, tim716 said:

I had a weird thing today with my 18L I’d never seen mentioned before. 

When charging (in off state, no lights on), my 18L suddenly started beeping. A single beep once every 5 seconds. When I pressed On button, the EUC showed two red lights on each side, one in the middle of the led bands, one on the top. When I pressed The button again, the EUC turned off. I disconnected the wheel from the charger and On the next button press the EUC turned on and worked normally.

So, what it was? Is it dangerous? I’m a bit paranoid about strange things while charging, since I’m very afraid of the fire. 

Hmm that is very unusual! This would concern me too

Not something I've come across. My first question is how long had you been charging it for?

Perhaps @US69 our resident expert would know

Archived