My first helmet?

ricqvo

Hello guys!

Do you have some tip for nice helmet under 150USD? I have only cycling helmet at home and my 18L is comming next week...

Im gonna commute everyday, so I need it to look cool on a teenage head?

Thank you very much, have a great day!

Depends on the level of protection you want, which depends on the speed of the wheel you buy. The 18L probably requires motorcycle levels of protection (I actually think the protection level should be even higher because the rider is tilted forward during the crash so you always go face-first into the pavement).

Many of the HJC motorcycle helmets are well below $150.

The downhill MIPS-type helmets, such as the Bell MIPS, are between $150 to $250, but they emphasize lightness for the downhill mountain biker, and so may not be all that appropriate for EUC riders since we do not care much about weight and even ventilation. We are not exerting ourselves so we don't need crazy good airflow. I have the Bell MIPS and I have difficulty putting gogles on it (sunglasses fine), and with the speeds these EUCs generate, eye protection is almost mandatory.

Finally, be aware that wearing a helmet comes with certain drawbacks; cars will pass you closer and faster when you wear one, and treat you worse in general. Bicyclists in the US have the highest rate of helmet use and the highest death and injury rate. In comparison, bicyclists in Denmark have the lowest helmet use and a safety rate that is 32 times less than the US. The biggest danger to you is generally autos (baring a cutout--which is eventually very likely).

35 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Depends on the level of protection you want, which depends on the speed of the wheel you buy. The 18L probably requires motorcycle levels of protection (I actually think the protection level should be even higher because the rider is tilted forward during the crash so you always go face-first into the pavement).

Many of the HJC motorcycle helmets are well below $150.

The downhill MIPS-type helmets, such as the Bell MIPS, are between $150 to $250, but they emphasize lightness for the downhill mountain biker, and so may not be all that appropriate for EUC riders since we do not care much about weight and even ventilation. We are not exerting ourselves so we don't need crazy good airflow. I have the Bell MIPS and I have difficulty putting gogles on it (sunglasses fine), and with the speeds these EUCs generate, eye protection is almost mandatory.

Finally, be aware that wearing a helmet comes with certain drawbacks; cars will pass you closer and faster when you wear one, and treat you worse in general. Bicyclists in the US have the highest rate of helmet use and the highest death and injury rate. In comparison, bicyclists in Denmark have the lowest helmet use and a safety rate that is 32 times less than the US. The biggest danger to you is generally autos (baring a cutout--which is eventually very likely).

I dont wanna hurt myself, so I am not gonna ride full choke all the time... I will set the limiter for 35kmph... Even that is tooooo fast... I am gonna ride at 20-25kmph speeds... Wrist guards, helmet and glasses will do the work I think... And I am gonna ride only on my country side+ways for bikes.... No dangerous highways? I think a full face helmet is the way, but I dont want to look stupid af... EUC is cool vehicle...so I wanna stay cool even when standong on it... Maybe "Fly Racing Default Helmet" would do the work... I think that motorcycle helmet is too heavy and 2 hot for summer riding... DH helmets are lighter and cooler... But I dont know which one to choose under 150usd...

List the ones you can find within your budget and look interesting to you and we can then provide feedback on them. Prices change daily on places like Amazon so most of us don't have time to hunt for helmets in your price range on a particular day but are happy to give our opinions on what you do find. 

17 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

Wrist guards, helmet and glasses will do the work I think... And I am gonna ride only on my country side+ways for bikes.... No dangerous highways? I think a full face helmet is the way, but I dont want to look stupid af... EUC is cool vehicle...so I wanna stay cool even when standong on it... Maybe "Fly Racing Default Helmet" would do the work... I think that motorcycle helmet is too heavy and 2 hot for summer riding... DH helmets are lighter and cooler... 

The mechanics of EUC riding suggests almost all accidents catapults you head-first into the ground. This is because your center of gravity must be slightly ahead of the axis of the wheel in order for you and the wheel to to move forward.

Even more worrying is that the increased wind resistance, especially above 22 mph (my estimate) results in the wheel being considerably behind you. That is, I look directly down and I see...nothing. Or rather just rushing road. The wheel is behind me.

In other words, you are already tipped forward and are already falling; the wheel just happens to rush up behind you and scoop you up before you actually fall.

One of these days the wheel will not scoop you up. And on that day, you must try to extend your arms (or extend elbows and roll) while turning your head.

All my faceplants have either been brownouts caused by weak motors or catching on something. None of these were bad because you have some ability to push off, but I have also had a few purposeful cutouts. A cutout is where you will probably hit your face; my experience is the damned wheel sticks to your feet and goes backwards--there is no chance at all.

You may simply want to prepare yourself mentally for hitting your face on the pavement. I often ride, rather slow, with no protection at all, with the understanding that being cool has its price.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

The mechanics of EUC riding suggests almost all accidents catapults you head-first into the ground. This is because your center of gravity must be slightly ahead of the axis of the wheel in order for you and the wheel to to move forward.

Even more worrying is that the increased wind resistance, especially above 22 mph (my estimate) results in the wheel being considerably behind you. That is, I look directly down and I see...nothing. Or rather just rushing road. The wheel is behind me.

In other words, you are already tipped forward and are already falling; the wheel just happens to rush up behind you and scoop you up before you actually fall.

One of these days the wheel will not scoop you up. And on that day, you must try to extend your arms (or extend elbows and roll) while turning your head.

All my faceplants have either been brownouts caused by weak motors or catching on something. None of these were bad because you have some ability to push off, but I have also had a few purposeful cutouts. A cutout is where you will probably hit your face; my experience is the damned wheel sticks to your feet and goes backwards--there is no chance at all.

You may simply want to prepare yourself mentally for hitting your face on the pavement. I often ride, rather slow, with no protection at all, with the understanding that being cool has its price.

Thank you! Yes... When I will be familiar with the new wheel...than I will ride slowly without any protection to the store and back... But for everyday commuting to school... FF helmet and wrist guards is I think enough...

1 hour ago, RayRay said:

Quick google search for Giro Switchblade MIPS Full-Face Helmet shows a few for $150 at Performance Bikes... (Only orange left in Medium and no more large available.)

giro-switch-orange.jpg.375ebc7084f969d10eccc7f94c26c2f1.jpg

I'm sure if you search a bit you can find a some within your budget...

As far I am from Czech Republic, so amazon is not available for me... Shipping is in most cases more than the actual thing I am ordering.... 

And most big sites do not ship to czech republic at all...so there is a killer for me...

2 hours ago, RayRay said:

Quick google search for Giro Switchblade MIPS Full-Face Helmet shows a few for $150 at Performance Bikes... (Only orange left in Medium and no more large available.)

giro-switch-orange.jpg.375ebc7084f969d10eccc7f94c26c2f1.jpg

I'm sure if you search a bit you can find a some within your budget...

Btw this helmet is 350Eur in my country

7 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

As far I am from Czech Republic, so amazon is not available for me... Shipping is in most cases more than the actual thing I am ordering.... 

And most big sites do not ship to czech republic at all...so there is a killer for me...

This adds more weight to my request for you to list the helmets available to you locally within your budget and we will then provide some insight on the good and bad ones. 

27 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

This adds more weight to my request for you to list the helmets available to you locally within your budget and we will then provide some insight on the good and bad ones. 

http://shop.razzo.cz/helmy-mx-a-mtb/helmy-dh-bmx-mtb/?page=1

https://www.insportline.cz/downhill-prilby

It is so expensive here in my country... I am looking for something under 2800Kč (czk)

You can imagine what I can buy here...

You might want to try on the helmet before you buy if shipping is an issue. HJC seems like a widely available motorcycle helmet brand and I'm sure some of our European members can name several others.

IXS is a European brand that I've liked/heard of... I think something like IXS HX 145 w/removable chin protector would be cool for myself. What do you think?

hx-145-modularni-helma-3-v-1.jpg

(I would probably get yellow, but they come in black too.)

1 hour ago, RayRay said:

You might want to try on the helmet before you buy if shipping is an issue. HJC seems like a widely available motorcycle helmet brand and I'm sure some of our European members can name several others.

IXS is a European brand that I've liked/heard of... I think something like IXS HX 145 w/removable chin protector would be cool for myself. What do you think?

hx-145-modularni-helma-3-v-1.jpg

(I would probably get yellow, but they come in black too.)

Thank you! It looks awesome!

1 hour ago, Esper said:

Save your money until you can buy this. Wear your bicycle helmet until you can afford this one.
919SIApQmyL._SL1500_.jpg
Click pic for web page.

Do u think it is worth? And I dont think it looks cool either... And cannot imagine wearing this type of helmet...

Google downhill helmet.  Make sure you get one with a chinbar, or full face.  When you fall you don't want to hurt your face.  Helmets are a personal choice.  Some may think a helmet is cool AF, but you may think it is ugly AF.  LOL  Most of them are $2-300.  you might be able to find a sale on an off color below $200.

1 hour ago, ricqvo said:

Do u think it is worth? And I dont think it looks cool either... And cannot imagine wearing this type of helmet...

It is the most popular helmet on The Helmet Thread

By the way. Take a look through that forum, have a look. Read some info. Then when you're finished researching, come back and tell us what you think. BTW, the TSG Pass helmet has a lot more than just one color. Actually look into it. The two visors you get are also a nice feature if you want to use it both at night and day.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:44 AM, ricqvo said:

I dont wanna hurt myself, so I am not gonna ride full choke all the time... I will set the limiter for 35kmph... Even that is tooooo fast... I am gonna ride at 20-25kmph speeds... Wrist guards, helmet and glasses will do the work I think... And I am gonna ride only on my country side+ways for bikes.... No dangerous highways? I think a full face helmet is the way, but I dont want to look stupid af... EUC is cool vehicle...so I wanna stay cool even when standong on it... Maybe "Fly Racing Default Helmet" would do the work... I think that motorcycle helmet is too heavy and 2 hot for summer riding... DH helmets are lighter and cooler... But I dont know which one to choose under 150usd...

Full face helmet doesn't look stupid, it looks smart.  Open face helmets only protect against limited angle strikes to the skull.  Full face protects from dental injury and lower jaw injury.  I like the Bell Super 3R mips.  Super lightweight and not hot.  

On 7/19/2018 at 6:44 AM, ricqvo said:

I think a full face helmet is the way, but I dont want to look stupid af... 

Broken jaw with no front teeth looks even dumber. Hurts, too. Glad to hear you don't ride fast. I wouldn't recommend it.

I have the cl17. It's fantastic.

HJC CL-17 Void Matte Black/Camo Full Face Helmet - Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GAZ2O7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ie5wBbF84D094

I also have been considering this open facer. Open facer yada yada but it looks fantastic.

HJC Solid IS-Cruiser Half (1/2) Shell Motorcycle Helmet - Matte Black / Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IM9AL7I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ff5wBbBAC6E04

Archived