KS-16S 1.07 Firmware bricked my EUC

Steven Algoet

I installed the latest android version on my phone and than the update message came up.

Started updating, my screen went out and the update process stopped at 13%

Restarted the wheel, but I guess I bricked it that way. When I turn it on now, I just hear a voice say 'blotooth is off'. And the blue light is on. 

I can still connect but get the message that I have to update the firmware. But when I select that, there is no option to upgrade.

Anyone some advice?

Screenshot_20180719-123949.jpg

Screenshot_20180719-123102.jpg

Screenshot_20180719-104313.jpg

Advice? Never connect your wheel to King Song apps.  Sorry if this comes too late.  King Song has made such a pigs breakfast of their app versions recently , that I refuse to connect to them.  I use Darknessbot to control functions on my 16s and don't worry about firmware upgrades, as the risks are worse that the benefits; as you discovered.

I hope one of the technical members can find a solution for you.

PS I have an android phone with the old green screen app on it, for calibration, etc.  Hopefully it will never upgrade itself to the horrible white screen version (I keep WiFi turned off)

First of all:

Are you sure you have the latest Android Version?

Thats 1.50...

Get it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=113zLj_KtEPkPXAJenUqbvj9SlP1reU87

Then: Try to connect your Wheel by Bluetooth!!!

Go to the Firmware update section in the Menu under MORE->Firmware Update!

Then you should be able to "continue" with the update!

19 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Advice? Never connect your wheel to King Song apps.  Sorry if this comes too late.  King Song has made such a pigs breakfast of their app versions recently , that I refuse to connect to them.  I use Darknessbot to control functions on my 16s and don't worry about firmware upgrades, as the risks are worse that the benefits; as you discovered.

I hope one of the tehcnical members can find a solution for you.

PS I have an android phone with the old green screen app on it, for calibration, etc.  Hopefully it will never upgrade itself to the horrible white screen version (I keep WiFi turned off) 

I am with you that the app Software isnt the best....

But as i want to use the latest Firmware Versions, which often make the Wheel better or are even needed in case of real FW probs like actually 18L the apps are just needed! 

Also there have been lately some FW updates for 16s and 18s that make the Wheel that much better with more Torque and better braking and smoother riding...it would be a shame not to use them…...

Latest Android Version 1.50 and IOS 3.4 are Pretty stable….

it's best to do it over data not WiFi give it chance to connect it is slow before showing the new firmware.. restart you phone so Bluetooth connects again then go log in through app then go to firmware and wait till it shows 1,07

2 hours ago, US69 said:

First of all:

Are you sure you have the latest Android Version?

Thats 1.50...

Get it here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=113zLj_KtEPkPXAJenUqbvj9SlP1reU87

When I download this from android, it gives an APK that is corrupt. Same with official site, I try from my computer instead

1 minute ago, Steven Algoet said:

When I download this from android, it gives an APK that is corrupt. Same with official site, I try from my computer instead

several People used this app from my Google drive….

Perhaps you must set in your phone, that apps from "unallowed sites" can be installed???

Downloaded with pc, put on own drive and installed it. But seems like I already had that version. Installed it anyway. Same problem.
Voice says 'bleutooth is off' but I can connect.
Than whatever option I select. I get the screen with the update firmware button.
Than some seconds I see the other screen with the arrow. 
That was the screen where I could click on the first time, but now it goes to the last screenshot with version 0.00 on, and no arrow. So no option to upgrade.

do the lights move when you have it turned on if so it might be updating.. plus the Bluetooth might be for audio there's 2 bluetooths . when you open kingsong app if it says disconnected click connect and if it doesn't show click searching then it might show then let it do is thing .. have a cup of tea ...ps ... sometimes night  time is easier to connect to Chinese server for done reason

4 hours ago, US69 said:

Latest Android Version 1.50 and IOS 3.4 are Pretty stable….

I have 3.4 on iOS but it refuses to let me register.

I found my country code and added my phone number, received and entered my registration code, 2x password (checked for duplicity)  no joy. fail, fail, fail, and on and on.

Any advice?

EDIT. SCRATCH THAT.  COULD NOT REGISTER, BUT WAS ABLE TO LOG IN.  GO FIGURE. Still too scared to upgrade wheel firmware.  I already have one basket case KS.  Don't want two.

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

I have 3.4 on iOS but it refuses to let me register.

I found my country code and added my phone number, received and entered my registration code, 2x password (checked for duplicity)  no joy. fail, fail, fail, and on and on.

Any advice?

dont use phone number...there is a button to change to E-mail registration....dont possible use any in china forbidden email services like yahoo or google

32 minutes ago, US69 said:

dont use phone number...there is a button to change to E-mail registration....dont possible use any in china forbidden email services like yahoo or google

Well, somehow I managed to register using my phone number.  I'm not sure what this "dont possible use any in china forbidden email services like yahoo or google" means.

I played around adjusting the color of the lights, and even the level calibration worked (unlike last time), etc, but I chickened out at the upgrade.  Currently, I'm running 1.02.

special thx to @US69 for helping me out with this problem!

I also found out that the bluetooth connection on my phone was het problem. Keeps dropping out (opo 5T). So make sure you use a device with a decent bluetooth connection while performing the upgrade!

1 minute ago, Steven Algoet said:

special thx to @US69 for helping me out with this problem!

I also found out that the bluetooth connection on my phone was het problem. Keeps dropping out (opo 5T). So make sure you use a device with a decent bluetooth connection while performing the upgrade!

Happy that we found a solution!

Best is you are back to commuting again ?

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Well, somehow I managed to register using my phone number.  I'm not sure what this "dont possible use any in china forbidden email services like yahoo or google" means.

I played around adjusting the color of the lights, and even the level calibration worked (unlike last time), etc, but I chickened out at the upgrade.  Currently, I'm running 1.02.

Like said....very sad, as FW 1.04 (i guess’ was giving a nice new motor driver)...

you might go into MORE-firmware updates....then after a while you should see the actual firmware available, also including the change-logs of each version....

you then -still- can leave without updating...

btw.: if really, really, really somthing should go wrong in updating.....see @Steven Algoet‘s post.....

i can help with special tools.....

but again....your choice ?

Having successfully registered my App and reading that @Steven Algoet's problems were, to some extent, due to a dodgy Bluetooth connection and not anything King Song related, I bit the bullet and started as upgrade from 1.02 to 1.07 (hopefully including all the incremental improvements in between). I felt a bit like I was about to have unprotected sex with a prostitute; almost certain to result in tears, and weeks or remedial care.

Anyway, as it turns out, I had nothing to fear.  The upgrade went smoothly (if slowly) and my wheel came out the other side as a wheel, and not a brick.  I can hear the fan test sequence, on start-up, so I know 1.07 is on there, and its also written in in the right places on the App.  It's raining right now (first time in two months) so test ride will have to wait.

thanks to @Steven Algoet for documenting his problems, and solution, and thanks to @US69 for encouraging me to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, US69 said:

Happy that we found a solution!

Best is you are back to commuting again ?

Hello @US69, so what was the resolution for this? I am having the same problem now. I just got my ks16s few hours ago shipped from Jason@ewheels.com.

I did try your version above but it did not help, please help:

(so excited getting the wheel for more than a month waiting, hopefully the wheel quality is not the same as the app quality. I could spend a week making an app better than this:()

Step by step repro'ing the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48aFfvAF6n4

My new wheel is a brick now awaiting your help!!

Thank you in advance!

Mouse are you using Android or iOS?  This thread can be a little confusing as it seems to drift between Android and iOS successes and failures.  If I am following this correctly, it looks like @Smoother was able to successfully update using iOS.

This is all very interesting as I too received my new 16S from Jason (upgrade from 14D).  That said, I was just going to break it in and unlock it using the Darkness app.  However, I would really like to take advance of the torque and braking updates offered in FW 1.07.  So, @US69, we all could really benefit is you could weigh-in and break down the update process for both Android and iOS users and include app version(s).

Odd that neither version of the app is not working.  Maybe @Smoother will re-join the discussion since he was able to upgrade using iOS.  If all else fails either Jason or @US69 are going to have to send you the special app so you can un-brick your wheel.  I'll be following along since I want to update my new 16S as well, but will wait until more is posted.

I'm seriously concerned about upgrading the firmware on my 18S because of the possibility of something going wrong.  I've had such a nightmare of a time with the app thus far that I haven't deemed the risk worth it, but the idea of improved torque is tempting.  Would be curious for more feedback about the difference between stock firmware and the most recent version in drive performance.  

Archived