Ninebot one e+ low battery speed limit and beep...

eddiejoker

Will your ninebot one e+ start beeping and pedal tilt upwards even at 10km/h when battery is low (say when the battery light starts blinking red)?

i found that whenever battery level is down to around 20-30%, it will easily beep and pedal tilted... Is it normal?? How is yours?

what is the second type about??

You can get Tilt-Back based on Temperature, Battery level, slope of a hill.   So, for instance, with a low battery anything that requires a lot of power (like going up a hill) could cause Tilt-Back.  But even going over a bump or through a dip that causes a "jolt" causes the power output to go up and can cause a Tilt-Back. 

EDIT:  Oh, and the weight of the rider increases the amount of power needed so it increases the frequency of these occurrences.

It is about that Ninebot One is trying its best to keep the balance but you are pushing it out of the limit so to be on the safe side, the unit tilt back and slow down. With the dropping battery level this limit drops accordingly. It is for your safety, if it doesn't do it, you will fly out with the ninebot behind you.

You can get Tilt-Back based on Temperature, Battery level, slope of a hill.   So, for instance, with a low battery anything that requires a lot of power (like going up a hill) could cause Tilt-Back.  But even going over a bump or through a dip that causes a "jolt" causes the power output to go up and can cause a Tilt-Back.

Spot on. with low battery level it happens more often.

EDIT:  Oh, and the weight of the rider increases the amount of power needed so it increases the frequency of these occurrences.

thanks!! Exactly, I realised I rode over a speed blocker kind of thing at a relatively low speed and it beeped suddenly, then the starts tilting back in the following 3 sec.... (Even at a low speed like 8km/h I think)

It is about that Ninebot One is trying its best to keep the balance but you are pushing it out of the limit so to be on the safe side, the unit tilt back and slow down. With the dropping battery level this limit drops accordingly. It is for your safety, if it doesn't do it, you will fly out with the ninebot behind you.

Spot on. with low battery level it happens more often.

thanks a lot!!! Luckily with that prior warning even that's not overspeed!!

I appreciate this about the NB1, that they have engineered in some good safety features.  I had a "face-plant" situation and some bruised ribs from a brand that was not as refined in their engineering.  I think to respect the NB1 warnings is good for your health and safety. 

I appreciate this about the NB1, that they have engineered in some good safety features.  I had a "face-plant" situation and some bruised ribs from a brand that was not as refined in their engineering.  I think to respect the NB1 warnings is good for your health and safety. 

But of course. Tilt-back is what let's me know to slow down. It's not like you can rely on the beeps.

It's not so easy to just say "avoid the Tilt-backs" if you want to ride as fast as it can safely go.

It seems like you think hitting Tilt-Back is a sin. I would say accelerating past it would be the sin.

@dpong It happens on my daily commute that the tiltback starts and i dont recognize it at first, only after a few moments. So I made it a little entertaining sport for me to surf the tiltback wave on the straight and safe part of my commute to get the feeling for it :) Slowly accelerate util it tilts then decelerate until it tilts back straight, accelerate a tiny bit more until the tiltback barely starts again until I find the sweet spot. I havent taken out the app on these moments yet so I dont know if I am at 22, 24 or at 20km/h.
As long as you ride cautiously and dont ignore the warnings the Bot wont let you down.

It seems like you think hitting Tilt-Back is a sin. I would say accelerating past it would be the sin.

I personally find the ninebot hard tilt-back (the last one whit beeps) very dangerous. And I try to avoid it because this make me loose my balance. I would prefer vibration or another kind of signal (beeps are not enough because the noise at high speed can hide it).

http://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/826-tilt-back-is-dangerous/

@Jag_Rip On my AirWheel X8 I rode the tilt-backs all day long.  I had to, and it was so annoying.  Now I'm simply happy that I don't have to on the NB1.  Lucky me. 

Ahh, alas, I have to on the 9B1.  I wouldn't want to find that I was only going 11mph when I could have been going 12mph.  So like @Jag_Rip said, I ride on the edge of Tilt-Back.

Ahh, alas, I have to on the 9B1.  I wouldn't want to find that I was only going 11mph when I could have been going 12mph.  So like @Jag_Rip said, I ride on the edge of Tilt-Back.

And I don't judge you for it, my friend.  Have fun and be safe.  

Would a sensible solution then be if you take the wheel to max speed and ignore a very loud continuous beep for more than say 5 second, the Ninebot forces you to slow back down to less than half speed, before allowing you to accelerate again. 

Or how about as you get near to top end speed a beep starts and gets louder and faster. 

I have never had a tilt back based on temperature or high current.

All tilt backs were always based on speed when battery was below 20%.

One time, battery went to 19% when I was downhill at 18km/h and then, the wheel went to an unexpected tilt-back. Only because the speed was too high to this battery level in that moment. The current was low because the downhill.

This is only my experience, with the ninebot one E and with the last firmware.

I have never had a tilt back based on temperature or high current.

All tilt backs were always based on speed when battery was below 20%.

One time, battery went to 19% when I was downhill at 18km/h and then, the wheel went to an unexpected tilt-back. Only because the speed was too high to this battery level in that moment. The current was low because the downhill.

This is only my experience, with the ninebot one E and with the last firmware.

Maybe your Ninebot One hasn't ever overheated like mine has.  It was around 143 degrees Fahrenheit.   I guess you're riding on smoother areas.  I can be going 11mph and go over several little bumps (tree root bulges on the sidewalk) and I will get Tilt-Back.  Around 20% or 19% it slows and has major tilt-back.  But at 30% tilt-back from bumps gets worse.  Of course, all of these things can be worse for me because when I am riding I weigh about 220 lbs.

Also, finally I have read where someone else has indicated there are 2 different Ninebot One E+'s with different characteristics.   I believe that serial numbers N10EA and N20EA might be different.

• 2 months later...

I'm very interested in this tilt back thing. In late September I got a flat. I bought a new inner tube off of Ebay. It took a long time getting here. In fact I just got the tire on Thursday of this week. On Friday night I got up the nerve to put take the bot apart and change the inner tube out. I say I had to get up the nerve because I'm not the type to tinker around with stuff like that I'm much more the type to pay someone else to do it. Well I did it (with the help from the speedy feet videos on youtube and I have to admit everything went well. The thing that took the longest was getting the bent plug through the hole in rim. But other than that everything went fine. 

I mention all that because I took the wheel out to ride afterwards. I only started riding in mid July and really didn't get the hang of it till sometime in August. When the flat occurred I couldn't ride. Which was almost like losing a best friend. It's funny how the thing grows on you. Any way, I was a little nervous about getting on it thinking maybe I would have to start all over. But I had no problem - except the fact that the pedals kept tilting back. I couldn't have been going faster that 2 miles an hour, if that. I thought it was because it needed calibration. I did that and still the pedals continued to drop and even started beeping. Now I didn't charge it cause the green lights said it was fully charged. Maybe they are lying. 

Now here in Virginia the temperature is one degree above freezing tonight so maybe that has something to do with it. Still it is disconcerting to for this to be happening and all I want to do is get it back to normal.

I will charge it and try it when the weather is warmer. 

Although the battery percent, or lights at switch on, will indicate full power - or high power - it's not always the case as soon as a 'load' is drawn from it.

Particularly in the cold, if the device is left outside (in the car maybe?) for any length of time it will affect the chemistry of the cells and the amount it allows to be discharged.

Only way to make sure is to watch - or get somebody to watch while you concentrate! - while trying to ride it.  You should see a sharp drop if the battery needs charging.

Things to bear in mind - weight on the EUC (winter over here so a few more layers to keep warm, a heavy jacket, big boots etc can add a few KG's), surface (smooth / gravel, off-road etc. / uphill, downhill), and weather not just temperature, but wind.  Imagine it's blowing a steady 10mph and you're trying to ride it along the road 'into-wind' your body (airspeed) is going 10+groundspeed, or 10mph while just stationary.  Now imagine a 20mph wind - even at the advertised top speed of 12.5mph, you're doing more than that before you even set off.  I know it's not as clear cut and there are my calculations to figure out exactly what torque the motor has to use up to compensate etc., but it's worth considering.

Keep the cells warm and they will deliver their capacity.  Let them get cold and it'll drastically reduce their ability to dish out any large amounts of power over even a short time.

Archived