InMotion V8 Troubleshooting

Fraser Talbot

Question 1. Did you have the Inmotion app open and in your hand while you were riding?

Question 2. Could you have hit the Lock function of the vehicle in the app?

Dont laugh, this happened to me on my Kingsong when I first got it and they changed the app. I noticed that InMotions new app has that feature too.

I never tried, so I dont know. Do you know how to take the cover off?

there are two screws aside the bottom tire access flap. Unscrew the two on the opposite side of the vehicle from the trolley handle and set aside. Position pedal at about 45°, lift or prop up the flap. Twist the shell counterclockwise by giving a gentle Fonzie smack with your palm on that leg bulge to dislodge. It moves about an inch or so. Then lift the top edge up and remove the shell under the pedal space between body. Once the shell is removed, on the right side of the battery are the power connectors for the battery and charging the battery. 

Make sure they are connected. If they are, call your seller and describe the problem. The shell is supposed to be removed for battery changes, so its okay to do.

assembly is reverse of this. Make sure you line up the case properly around the top and twist it clockwise. Then replace the screws you set aside.

If the battery is connected OK then unplug it. Press the power button. Leave it a minute or two. Then plug it back in. See if that helps through power cycling the board. 

Also, does the wheel turn easily when the V8 is powered off or does it feel locked up. This can indicate a hardware failure. 

Tell us more about the failure. Did it fail while you were riding causing you to fall or did you fall for other reasons but the wheel wouldn't power on afterwards?

When you plug in the charger do you see a red or green light on the charger itself? 

30 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Question 1. Did you have the Inmotion app open and in your hand while you were riding?

Question 2. Could you have hit the Lock function of the vehicle in the app?

Dont laugh, this happened to me on my Kingsong when I first got it and they changed the app. I noticed that InMotions new app has that feature too.

This feature is not supported on the V8... Sadly. 

1 hour ago, Fraser Talbot said:

Shell is off.  Wires look good.  All connected.

I was hoping for a clever way to determine if its the board, battery, or motor.

Trying to learn to do this stuff myself.

Love the "Fonzie" smack reference.  EEEyyyyyyyyyyy.........

Did you do the procedure that Warped mentioned above about disconnecting those two connectors, then pressing the power button?

Wait a few moments, machines dont need much sleep but capacitors need about 3 minutes to discharge themselves, so get a beer, come back plug it in, and see if it charges before you put it back together. Unplug the charger before you reassemble if that solves it.

20 hours ago, WARPed1701D said:

If the battery is connected OK then unplug it. Press the power button. Leave it a minute or two. Then plug it back in. See if that helps through power cycling the board. 

Also, does the wheel turn easily when the V8 is powered off or does it feel locked up. This can indicate a hardware failure. 

Tell us more about the failure. Did it fail while you were riding causing you to fall or did you fall for other reasons but the wheel wouldn't power on afterwards?

When you plug in the charger do you see a red or green light on the charger itself? 

This feature is not supported on the V8... Sadly. 

Thank you very much WARPED! 

I am answering while following the procedure above.

--Also, does the wheel turn easily when the V8 is powered off or does it feel locked up. This can indicate a hardware failure.

Not really tight, but not free wheeling either.  It takes no effort to turn though.

--Tell us more about the failure. Did it fail while you were riding causing you to fall or did you fall for other reasons but the wheel wouldn't power on afterwards?

Failed when riding, cause of accident.  Walked back to house and did not try to start until next morning.  Did not start, and when plugged in, would not charge.

--When you plug in the charger do you see a red or green light on the charger itself? 

Yes, the charger appears fine the lights are fine.

Failing while riding isn't a great sign. It makes it less likely to be a connector knocked loose by the impact. 

Just to confirm, you have now disconnected the battery, pressed the power button, waited, then reconnected rejected the battery - and the wheel remains dead? 

The fact that the wheel turns ok means your MOSFETs are probably OK. A little resistance is fine. 

When did you buy the wheel and from who. It might be time to speak to you seller about a warranty repair. 

If that is not an option then next things I would check is to continue disassembly and open the mainboard housing box (after disconnecting the battery again and pressing the power button). Check the fuse on the board to see if it looks OK. Look for any other loose connectors on the board. Look for signs of burning or damage on the board, especially around the capacitors. If you have a voltmeter very carefully measure the voltage across the battery connector terminals. Be very careful not to short the probes. Ensure you are seeing a voltage between 70v and 84v.

Report back! 

OK I am not sure what "rejected the battery" means, but yes, the wheel is still dead after disconnecting the battery and pressing the start button.

Bought the wheel about 1.5 months ago, on Amazon.  Agree with the repair.

However, I norticed that the plug connector was recessed into the shell.  

Still poking around.....

1 hour ago, Fraser Talbot said:

OK I am not sure what "rejected the battery" means, but yes, the wheel is still dead after disconnecting the battery and pressing the start button.

Bought the wheel about 1.5 months ago, on Amazon.  Agree with the repair.

However, I norticed that the plug connector was recessed into the shell.  

Still poking around.....

It should have been reconnected. I was on my phone and it 'autoincorrected" to rejected. Grrr.

As you brought recently from Amazon I would now contact the seller and tell them of the issue. You are will within the warranty period of the wheel and Amazon should back you up in a dispute if it is a marketplace seller. The seller should send you a new one or help troubleshoot further under their guidance/permission. If this were a China import I'd suggest continuing to dig deeper but that may just void your warrranty and really isn't something you should do with a new wheel.

Archived