GW TESLA + APPS

Hi all,

I recently got into EUCs, first with a (unfortunately) faulty V8, and now with a GW Tesla. I have to say, it's night and day --- the Tesla is like riding a cloud: super intuitive, very stable, goes and stops on a dime, and FLIES when you want it to. All around, this machine is perfect. And doesn't weigh too much for my third-floor walkup, nor does the trolley handle feel awkward as I read. Really solid machine.

My question is about using the [absolutely terrible] apps. I have the default GW app installed; I connect to my wheel, turn off first and second alarms and set tilt-back to 42KPH. Then I restart the machine and open WheelLog and begin my 5 mile ride home. It's great, zooming and very smooth, with no beeps or tilt-back. WheelLog tells me the max speed on this ride is 41MPH, which I find hard to believe since there were no beeps or tilt-back. I'm a bit concerned that the wheel will overpower and throw me off at some point.

I just reconnected the apps as it's later and we're charging for tomorrow. All data is back to 0. I reset the alarm and tilt-back settings on GW app. WheelLog just shows 0. I don't know how to pull up historic data; for example, to show you my speed/amps during the last ride. Questions below:

• Do I need to adjust the apps before every ride?
  • Which app should be open during the ride?
  • I have logging to Gdrive turned on -- is there a way to see log history or do I have to go into Gdrive and pull a log file?
  • Why is there no beeping at 41MPH (not KPH -- I looked very thoroughly, and believe it as I was blowing by cars who are limited to 25MPH in the city).
    • I weigh 120lbs so maybe there is plenty of power reserve to keep going? I wasn't leaning too far forward either, just a normal cruising stance.
  • Does turning off Alarms 1+2 deactivate the 80% max beeping? I worry I turned off all alarms and will just get cut off at some point.
  • How can I set this thing up to be safe but still enjoyable? Thus far, I haven't experienced any beeps or tilt-back at all (I know what tilt-back feels like as the V8 kicks in around 12MPH or trying to go over the bridge).

Thanks,

Sam 

24 minutes ago, magicsam said:

I think I meant 31MPH, not 41! ? But now I'm unsure. Maybe if there's a way to pull the log. Will check tomorrow and follow up.

Yeah, pretty sure no wheel can achieve those speeds reliably. Keep in mind that most Gotway wheels (including the Tesla) are optimistic by about 10%. So you were probably going closer to 28-mph. This is all easily verifiable by using a GPS tracker app on your phone.

WheelLog can be configured to write to a Log File that you can view after the fact. Otherwise it loses all information between sessions.

2 hours ago, magicsam said:
  • Do I need to adjust the apps before every ride?

No. Normally not. But the alarm settings cannot be read by the app.

• Which app should be open during the ride?

If you want a log of your ride wheellog has to run and be connected to the wheel.

• I have logging to Gdrive turned on -- is there a way to see log history or do I have to go into Gdrive and pull a log file?

Then you have the very old version from the app store!

The log files should be on your gdrive somewhere under wheellog (csv files).

Or they are still on your mobile(, too)

@palachzzz has improved this app significant: 

With this new app automatic gdrive upload does not work anymore, but one can set alarms and they are set anytime again wheellog connects to the wheel.

• Why is there no beeping at 41MPH (not KPH -- I looked very thoroughly, and believe it as I was blowing by cars who are limited to 25MPH in the city).

Its easy to not hear beeps at higher speed due to the wind. But try to set the alarms to lower speeds to ensure your beeper is working!

• I weigh 120lbs so maybe there is plenty of power reserve to keep going? I wasn't leaning too far forward either, just a normal cruising stance.
  • Does turning off Alarms 1+2 deactivate the 80% max beeping? I worry I turned off all alarms and will just get cut off at some point.

The 80% alarm cannot be turned off.

• How can I set this thing up to be safe but still enjoyable? Thus far, I haven't experienced any beeps or tilt-back at all (I know what tilt-back feels like as the V8 kicks in around 12MPH or trying to go over the bridge).

Tiltback can be turned off.

9 hours ago, magicsam said:

How can I set this thing up to be safe but still enjoyable? Thus far, I haven't experienced any beeps or tilt-back at all (I know what tilt-back feels like as the V8 kicks in around 12MPH or trying to go over the bridge).

There is no real safe setup ? - with high accelerations (and/or inclines) wheels can "cutout" (overlean) at relatively low speeds.

But one can limit oneself to quite "safe" speeds and not accelerate too much once going faster. Imo @Marty Backe has found for him some "sweet spot" for nice enjoyable fast enough riding and having a high enough safety margin.

If you are intetested in further reading of the underlying mechanics:

Thanks all, this is super helpful! Attaching my wheellog screenshots for reference. Is 40mph even possible?! And no beeping. I did feel tiltback at one point, briefly. Please alert if any of that graph looks dangerous.

Thanks again!

Screenshot_20180717-100125.png

Screenshot_20180717-100139.png

Screenshot_20180717-100131.png

Archived