Railroad Travel With EUC

Esash

13891164_1.jpg?v=8CF55BDC23BAD00

The Ninebot Z Series, being a 4" wheel, could possibly be deflated to 5-10 psi and grip the top of a railroad rail, which I believe are 3" wide. Another option would be a special replacement concave rim/airless tire

gallery08-copy.jpg

I guess something like this might be most feasible

myrailbike.jpg

Or lock two EUCs together and to the tracks, and ride side by side with a buddy

main.jpg

It could work for subway tracks too, to get to your secret man cave

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrU047-7csVt7mkU3gGpq

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Without meaning any disrespect, but isn't a part of riding an EUC being able to go where you want (not where the rails direct you)?

Being able to go where you want should include rails. It already includes sidewalks, street, trails, offroad, and sometimes beaches. Railroads are roads, but currently off limits to EUCs. 

There's probably what, a hundred thousand miles of (rail) roads out there currently unused by EUCs in the USA alone. (Edit: 233,000 miles of track in the US)

New flash: "EUC rider found dead on train tracks"?

I thought about this, though, as my train malfunctioned yesterday leaving hundreds of people diverted to buses. Balancing on the tracks would be a whole other skill.

Ever noticed how there's a fair number of abandoned tracks that still have stop signs, patrolled by cops that give you a ticket for running a stop. 

1 hour ago, Circuitmage said:

New flash: "EUC rider found dead on train tracks"?

I thought about this, though, as my train malfunctioned yesterday leaving hundreds of people diverted to buses. Balancing on the tracks would be a whole other skill.

Some kind of combination of tubeless tire and tubeless might work. Like, a concave tubeless tire that would fit over the rail track, but the tire would have a small, narrow tube in the concave part of the wheel. So when the small tube was inflated, it would be a normal shaped wheel for normal EUC performance, but you could deflate the tube for railroad travel on the concave rim/tubeless tire part.

Like a concave version of this, with a small thin tube wrapped around the concave part

stock-photo-bright-blue-airless-eco-frie

Archived